Air suspension verses standard with air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 HO cummins diesel
Hello all. I'm looking for a 3500 with the Aisin trans for 5th wheel towing that will also be my wife's daily driver. I've found a few, but so far only one with the rear air suspension. The price is good, but it's 1000 miles plus away so wondering if getting a standard suspension and adding air bags is a better way to go. Haven't found this question in a search yet so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Tom

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Adding air springs to a standard rear suspension (leaf springs) would be more used for stabilization vs. the factory air suspension that is setup for leveling/load carrying.

My 3500 has the standard rear suspension and I am still contemplating getting some Timber Grove ASAMs (Air Spring Assist Mounts) for mine. https://timbergroveenterprises.com/1920-ram-3500

I wouldn't go for an air suspension rear just because of my location in the Northeast where the winter weather reeks havoc on everything. You being in Texas it wouldn't give you an issue. Me adding aftermarket air springs being independent of any factory system (and being able to install and repair it without any warranty problems) would be better for me. Just my two cents....

I will say that the rear air suspension has nice features such as being able to drop the rear to hook up and then go.

OP
OP
T

Tom Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The timbergrove is what I'm looking at and stabilization is more my interest. If the factory air suspension provides a better ride then it may be worth pursuing, but I've not read that is the case.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I would go for the Timber Grove ASAM for the stabilization more than anything with the rear leaf springs.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about the heavy duty Airlift set up? I know my neighbor has it on his 2500 and really likes it. It has the onboard air compressor and the gauge inside the cab so he can adjust it on the fly.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I've seen your other posts. I wouldn't get hung up on gear ratio or if it has factory rear air ride or not.
I have a 2018 Limited DRW Cummins/Aisin H.O. 3.73r&p w/o factory air ride. I added onboard air and Airlift bags. I have the adjustability of dumping the air or filling them whenever I want. Unloaded the truck rides fine, just as good as the other truck below. And I tow not just a 14k 5er but a loaded tandem dually flatbed gooseneck that is at times 25k #s.
My father has a 2018 Longhorn DRW Cummins/Aisin 4.10r&p with factory airride. His truck rides equally to mine and has restrictions on adjustability. Plus if an issue with the factory system comes up he will be stuck with dealer prices for the parts. He just hit 100k miles, no issues so far.
I would focus more on finding a dually with the Cummins & Aisin along with any other frills you want to make your life comfortable. The little bit of difference between 3.73 & 4.10 won't effect towing your 15k fifth wheel.

OP
OP
T

Tom Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
18crew, I agree with your opinion on getting the Aisin and HO diesel. Most have the 3.73 and that is fine for the 5er's I'm looking at. Thanks for the input on the suspension. Since it's easier to find standard spring setups I'll just add something like the timbergrove setup. Thanks for all the inputs.