Air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chitownhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is anybody having issues with air suspension? When it is extremely cold my suspension drops. When start truck and running for minute it goes back up. Just had in shop 2 weeks ago for air ride if I drop it to lowest so mom can get out the next morning battery is dead. Dealership said not to mess with suspension when less than 30 degrees out. They said they checked air suspension and all was good. I said that it's not good.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They get moisture in them which in turn freezes, I am not certain but big rig drivers have some type of additive they use for their air brakes. I’ve heard of ram owners using same but don’t know. Not a stout answer ,but maybe a direction to look.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you Google: Ram 1500 four corner air suspension problems
There is lots of varying complaints similar to yours. A bunch of the problems result from the system losing it's nitrogen charge then the system sucks in air to replenish so you don't end up on the bump stops. Even though there is an inlet filter the system takes on moisture then freezes and acts up when below freezing.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They get moisture in them which in turn freezes, I am not certain but big rig drivers have some type of additive they use for their air brakes. I’ve heard of ram owners using same but don’t know. Not a stout answer ,but maybe a direction to look.
You are correct AutoZone and Advance sell it. Airbag manufactures even recommend you use it when installing air bags.

Hunter Hickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, are you saying AutoZone sells an additive for the air suspension or for bigger trucks brakes?

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was always impressed with the air suspension on my 4th Gen. Never had any problems. for long periods had to sit outside in 0 degree (Fahrenheit) temps. Never had a problem, for 127,000 I owned it.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air suspension on the Rams is a closed system. You can't add anything to id without damaging it and loosing the inert gas inside.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is anybody having issues with air suspension? When it is extremely cold my suspension drops. When start truck and running for minute it goes back up. Just had in shop 2 weeks ago for air ride if I drop it to lowest so mom can get out the next morning battery is dead. Dealership said not to mess with suspension when less than 30 degrees out. They said they checked air suspension and all was good. I said that it's not good.
What year is your Ram?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What year is your Ram?

The details under his avatar say it's a 2015.

From what I've read, most of the problems people have with the air suspension happen on 4th gens. They supposedly redesigned the system for the 5th gens, which I would tend to believe since I haven't seen a lot of reported problems with them. The air suspension issues is one of the reasons I got rid of the 2017 Rebel I owned. Never had any problems with mine in the 3 years I owned it, but lots of people were reporting problems with it. I should have stayed out of the Rebel forums back then and I may still own the thing LOL.

brendank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I suspect that down the road, the 5th gens will be as problematic as the 4th gens. The reason you don't see as many issues on the 5th gens yet is because they're still new and nitrogen filled. As these trucks get older and higher mileage, the airbags tend to crack and the seals in the system deteriorate and begin to leak out the nitrogen. If you can keep nitrogen in them, they'll be virtually problem free. That sounds easy, but it isn't.

The issue lies in the fact that there are so many common leak spots. I see it all the time - guys have problems in cold weather and take it in to the dealer. They replace (usually) the compressor or the valve block, refill with nitrogen and send them on their way without actually fixing the leak(s). A couple months down the road, all of the nitrogen has leaked out and you're back to freezing up and malfunctioning again. When the system freezes, it tends to substantially reduce the life of the compressor as these are very low duty compressors and will overheat in less than ten minutes if run constantly.

If you want to look at fixing all of the leaks, you'd better have some deep pockets. The bags commonly leak around the clamps and sometimes are hard to diagnose as they may leak in certain temps and not in others. There are 15+ o-rings in the system. Every time one of these leaks, you're looking at replacement cost on the parts plus ~$300 to have the system refilled with nitrogen. The price on compressors has come down substantially in the past 3 years but they are still $800+ from the dealer.

On a 5+ year old truck with no warranty, it makes a ton more sense to convert to regular suspension unless you really have a need for the air suspension and don't care how much it costs. There are some great resources for this, like http://airdelete.com

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I suspect that down the road, the 5th gens will be as problematic as the 4th gens. The reason you don't see as many issues on the 5th gens yet is because they're still new and nitrogen filled. As these trucks get older and higher mileage, the airbags tend to crack and the seals in the system deteriorate and begin to leak out the nitrogen. If you can keep nitrogen in them, they'll be virtually problem free. That sounds easy, but it isn't.

The issue lies in the fact that there are so many common leak spots. I see it all the time - guys have problems in cold weather and take it in to the dealer. They replace (usually) the compressor or the valve block, refill with nitrogen and send them on their way without actually fixing the leak(s). A couple months down the road, all of the nitrogen has leaked out and you're back to freezing up and malfunctioning again. When the system freezes, it tends to substantially reduce the life of the compressor as these are very low duty compressors and will overheat in less than ten minutes if run constantly.

If you want to look at fixing all of the leaks, you'd better have some deep pockets. The bags commonly leak around the clamps and sometimes are hard to diagnose as they may leak in certain temps and not in others. There are 15+ o-rings in the system. Every time one of these leaks, you're looking at replacement cost on the parts plus ~$300 to have the system refilled with nitrogen. The price on compressors has come down substantially in the past 3 years but they are still $800+ from the dealer.

On a 5+ year old truck with no warranty, it makes a ton more sense to convert to regular suspension unless you really have a need for the air suspension and don't care how much it costs. There are some great resources for this, like http://airdelete.com
What you say makes sense and I agree with most of it. All air suspension systems will eventually fail. It's inevitable. But what I don't agree with you about is when you say the 5th gens will be as problematic as the 4th gens were. Lots of people with new or nearly new 4th gens were reporting problems their first winter. I haven't seen that with 5th gens. Many of the 2019's have seen three winters now, so I would have expected to have seen a lot of complaints by now if what you say is true. But so far that hasn't been happening.

brendank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What you say makes sense and I agree with most of it. All air suspension systems will eventually fail. It's inevitable. But what I don't agree with you about is when you say the 5th gens will be as problematic as the 4th gens were. Lots of people with new or nearly new 4th gens were reporting problems their first winter. I haven't seen that with 5th gens. Many of the 2019's have seen three winters now, so I would have expected to have seen a lot of complaints by now if what you say is true. But so far that hasn't been happening.

Time will tell! But yes, hopefully Ram has made changes to the 5th gen systems to make them more reliable.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
The Rams cannot have air added they are a closed system. I have owned two with Air suspension. 2015 and 2019. Never had any issues with 15 in 85000 miles. This 2019 is at 35000 miles no issues. It has been said by many on this Forum and other Forums the "key fob" has issues with the air suspension on some trucks (and I too can say it has occurred with mine one time when I first got the truck on this 2019)

if you use the "key fob" to lower or raise the truck it may not work correctly in auto modes while driving for some strange reason. Always use the manual button to lower the truck to "entry/exit level" before you exit your truck if you use that lowest level to exit the truck. When you start up to drive away "auto modes" after entering the truck "entry/exit" mode with out the "key fob selection" truck will go to "Normal" mode after 35 mph is obtained. Above 63 MPH it will go to "Aero" mode..... then when 35mph is obtained it go back to "Normal" mode...... Entry/Exit mode must be selected manually in the truck. (Same for Tow Mode when used.) For some strange reason unknown on some trucks when the truck is lowered with the key fob from outside the truck or inside the truck the truck will not work properly in the auto modes when one drives the truck away on the next trip. MOPAR refuses to acknowledge this I suppose because it is isolated. If you used your fob shut the truck off open drivers door let set for few minutes two times restart vehicle will clear it.

Another note that may be of value to some if you do not want the aero function to work at 63 mph you can disable it. Do this by being stopped in the park with the motor running. Go to control on your center radio screen at the bottom select settings go to suspension and place a check mark in Aero and it will be disabled until you uncheck it.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

New member w/3 posts, all about the "bad" air suspension. 2 of the 3 promoting Air Delete.com

Hmmm.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many rams out there with the air suspension, but the few that have a problem you see here for the most part. There is a much higher percentage that are trouble free and you never hear about. Mine is great even with towing and at 36K. Squeaky wheel syndrome I suspect.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. Looking at the Air Delete website it appears Brendank owns or works for AirDelete.com

Pretty sneaky.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yep. Looking at the Air Delete website it appears Brendank owns or works for AirDelete.com

Pretty sneaky.

He'll sneak around for a little while until someone from the admin or mod staff like @MADDOG catches him trying to skirt the forum vendor rules.