Aisin transmission snap ring!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crice6790

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2022 ram 3500 Laramie pulled my toy hauler camper to Hatfield McCoy in West Virginia a week ago. Got to the camp site was switching from forward to reverse to back my camper into our camping area when it kinda shook a little then wouldn’t go into forward or reverse and also the transmission light come on as well. Long story short I had to get my truck towed and heard from the dealership it was the snap ring. Is there a recall on this? And will it continue even after the snap ring is replaced. Because I had to leave my side by side and camper up in West Virginia and have to go all the way back to pick it up this coming weekend. I have less than 4,500 miles on the truck. Also read other forums with people having the same problems. This has been a complete headache for me. Thanks.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The Aisin only comes with the HO in the pickups.

This has been going on for quite a while. It's the K1 Clutch snap-ring. There is a guy on CF and HDRams who has been compiling a list of the failures, and his informal list was at 259 units last time I looked.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Aisin only comes with the HO in the pickups.

This has been going on for quite a while. It's the K1 Clutch snap-ring. There is a guy on CF and HDRams who has been compiling a list of the failures, and his informal list was at 259 units last time I looked.
Sounds like a design/ manufacturing snafu. Likely going to result in a redesign.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
From my understanding it was a manufacturer issue with the snap ring itself, so once replaced it should not happen again. Apparently it is also only that year (that batch of transmissions) and may not even effect later models. That's what I gathered.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my understanding it was a manufacturer issue with the snap ring itself, so once replaced it should not happen again. Apparently it is also only that year (that batch of transmissions) and may not even effect later models. That's what I gathered.
From my dealership days in Ford and GM, those issues were typically limited to a production run. Specific units were identified in which "batch" they were from. The Julian date and batch number kept "quality control" under control. Keep in mind, there are literally no human hands involved in the manufacture of transmissions any more.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Sounds like a design/ manufacturing snafu. Likely going to result in a redesign.
Hopefully, beyond making the repairs, it results in Ram putting both the 68RFE and the Aisin out to pasture. They are woefully behind the competition, at this point.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
That's what I'm hoping for

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Since this is not a link to another forum, maybe it will be OK to post the spreadsheet. At the bottom, you can click to see a breakdown of failures per build month.

My hat is off to Mbarber84 for doing yeoman's work in compiling the info.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
From my dealership days in Ford and GM, those issues were typically limited to a production run. Specific units were identified in which "batch" they were from. The Julian date and batch number kept "quality control" under control. Keep in mind, there are literally no human hands involved in the manufacture of transmissions any more.

Correct. Hence the term I used "batch".

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told about this possible issue. funny my service rep at Dodge got a new truck and at about 1k miles her tranny went. im thankfully at 37k miles in 4 months. so I feel and hope im past the possible issue problem

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
So, my '19 Aisin may be good to go?

OP
OP
C

Crice6790

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ok so got the truck from the dealership the snap ring itself didn’t break it actually just slid off. It was replaced with a new one. Got everything back home safely but now having a lot of problems with the shifting sometimes won’t shift and when it does it’s a hard shift (not normal) at all. I’m also hearing from people that a lot of transmissions are going out on the HO Aisin rams? Any feedback appreciated. Never new I would have all these problems. My last ram had no issues at all.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Ok so got the truck from the dealership the snap ring itself didn’t break it actually just slid off. It was replaced with a new one. Got everything back home safely but now having a lot of problems with the shifting sometimes won’t shift and when it does it’s a hard shift (not normal) at all. I’m also hearing from people that a lot of transmissions are going out on the HO Aisin rams? Any feedback appreciated. Never new I would have all these problems. My last ram had no issues at all.
Return it with the complaints. It is related to the work and they need to correct it. Don't wait.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Take the truck and drive it for a couple of days under various condition, transmission probably has to relearn the driving habits. Newer style transmission have a learning mode. After a few days it does not improve then take the truck back to the dealership