AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so I switched everything back to non LED still throwing the error. I tried it with out the resister and it back to LED and still got the error. Now to change the DCT, I don’t see just one for the rear. I see one for stop and one for parking. I tried both and was still getting the message. Am I missing something some were? Sorry to be a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My settings to cancel the rear light DTC took two whole days to work no joke. I would suggest turning off the rear light dtc enable and just driving it like that for a while.

As for the front, I had to remove the resistors to get the error to go away. I didn't set any led settings for headlights or fogs because the canbus adapters are working fine. I changed LED front turn lamps present to yes and LED front park/marker present to yes.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm a little confused. If you set the Fuel Capacity to 98 Liters, that equates to 25.88 US gallons. Why didn't you set it to 121 Liters?

Thanks,
Roscoe
My bad. My settings values were percentages, not liters. That's what my options are in Alfa, and 98 and 2 are my Max/min values I can use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

roscoev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel 6.7
My bad. My settings values were percentages, not liters. That's what my options are in Alfa, and 98 and 2 are my Max/min values I can use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Got it...thanks!

Stlram81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 1500 Express

Question about the pin#.

Dealership is saying that it is a rolling code and only good for 8 hours...

Did I miss understand? I thought it was just the code assigned to each vehicle.

Anyone else getting this response?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2018 1500 Express

Question about the pin#.

Dealership is saying that it is a rolling code and only good for 8 hours...

Did I miss understand? I thought it was just the code assigned to each vehicle.

Anyone else getting this response?

I honestly don’t even think there IS a rolling code. I’ve been doing some research for adding keyless enter and go, and a tech at the dealer told me he’s never heard of such a thing. Not believing him and thinking there must be one in case of losing all keys, I ordered a key fob from amazon, left all my working fobs deep inside my building at work, and the new fob programmed no problem. So, I would say whatever 4 number PIN you got is the one you need and doesn’t change.

Stlram81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol. I should have just gotten it....

I was just going to wait until I get the rest of my stuff together and go from there. Thanks for the quick response!

John Owen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Lol. I should have just gotten it....

I was just going to wait until I get the rest of my stuff together and go from there. Thanks for the quick response!

There are 2 codes, a rolling 5 digit pin that starts with a letter (Ex: M1234) and a permanent 4 digit all numbers. Ex 1234

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 5 digit PIN that starts with a letter is not a rolling PIN. That is the PIN for cutting the physical key.
There are 2 codes, a rolling 5 digit pin that starts with a letter (Ex: M1234) and a permanent 4 digit all numbers. Ex 1234

AZJohnnyO

rmoyer72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My settings to cancel the rear light DTC took two whole days to work no joke. I would suggest turning off the rear light dtc enable and just driving it like that for a while.

As for the front, I had to remove the resistors to get the error to go away. I didn't set any led settings for headlights or fogs because the canbus adapters are working fine. I changed LED front turn lamps present to yes and LED front park/marker present to yes.

Thanks I will try that tonight and give it a couple days. I haven’t done anything to the front yet. Not sure the light set-up I am going with yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Owen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The 5 digit PIN that starts with a letter is not a rolling PIN. That is the PIN for cutting the physical key.

Thanks. I was told that one changed.

AZJohnnyO

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Wonder if the rolling code the dealers mention are intended for other FCA vehicles.

https://www.motor.com/newsletters/2016/20160516/!ID_AE-Tools_RollingPINKeycodes.html
What's a Rolling Pin Code?
Fiat Chrysler vehicles — such as the 2015 Chrysler 200, Jeep Renegade, Jeep Cherokee, Ram Promaster, and others — are all equipped with a rolling pin code. Unlike previous models with a single fixed code, the rolling code is only valid for 72 hours before it expires and changes.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have a 2018 but I figured the rolling code thing was part of the "extra security" implementation that was started in the 2018 MY.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wonder if the rolling code the dealers mention are intended for other FCA vehicles.

https://www.motor.com/newsletters/2016/20160516/!ID_AE-Tools_RollingPINKeycodes.html
Fiat Chrysler vehicles — such as the 2015 Chrysler 200, Jeep Renegade, Jeep Cherokee, Ram Promaster, and others — are all equipped with a rolling pin code. Unlike previous models with a single fixed code, the rolling code is only valid for 72 hours before it expires and changes.
Yeah, I don’t know. The tech I talked to said that when he programs new lost keys, or replaces an rf Hub, he uses the the trucks regular PIN and when he’s done with an rf hub replacement, it leaves with the same PIN as before. I can confirm you can program a new fob with the alfa and your PIN, without any other preprogrammed keys around (as if you lost them). In fact, any changes can be made with the alfa without ever putting the fob in the ignition.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

After reading that article again I realized it is for locksmiths. They can’t request a vehicle’s PIN from the parts counter like the owner can. They have to get it from tech authority, who, in turn, issues a PIN that will expire so that there’s no way for a locksmith to sell PINs of vehicles they’ve worked on.

Stlram81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on thanks guys. Appreciate the info. I'll try my luck again when my Alfa gets here.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I dont have a 2018 but I figured the rolling code thing was part of the "extra security" implementation that was started in the 2018 MY.

The rolling code is a code that expires in 72 hours and has 5 digits consisting of one "alpha' digit and four "numeric" digits. The rolling code is in addition to, and different than, the key code (four digits, all numeric ). The rolling code (and the key code ) apply to 2018's and earlier Rams. Confusion over this occurs mainly due to dealerships lack of knowledge about the 2 codes. FCA has one policy on giving out the ROLLING code; while on the other hand FCA has a separate policy on giving out the KEY code. The policy for the KEY CODE is for you to provide the necessary proof of ownership ( see link for copy of FCA doc: https://w06.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/parts/keycode/policypdf/en_US/Key_Code_Policy_en_US.pdf ). Pay close attention to the fourth bullet point of this FCA doc.

Since clueless dealerships cannot remember there are 2 different PIN codes and 2 different FCA policies on releasing them, the result is the common responses of either "NO you cannot have the PIN, its against FCA policy" or getting the wrong PIN number. If you are successful in getting your PINS you should get a printout that has on it:

KEY CODE INQUIRY RESULTS
VIN: XXXXXXXXXXX
IGNITION M6789 (one alpha + four numeric) ( aka ROLLING CODE)
PIN : 1234 ( four numeric ) (aka KEY CODE )

It is the four digit PIN that is needed for the RFH hub reset.

Last edited:

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5 digit code is for the cuts on the key blade and it always starts with the letter M for any key since 1998. Prior to 1998 there were other series like L for 1997, J for 1993, G fro 1989 to 1992, and the E for the single sided keys. These codes are for locks that actually have tumblers and springs. The ignition nodes are electronic only. When you program a key for the ignition, the RFHM learns the chip in the key or fob, up to 8 keys.

The M**** translates to 8 digits that are the actual cut depths. There is a database for those 8 digits that dealers and most locksmiths have. There are 4 possible depths, a "1" is no cut and a "4" is the deepest cut. Here is an old pic showing the cuts on an old L series key:
View media item 26756

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
The 5 digit code is for the cuts on the key blade and it always starts with the letter M for any key since 1998. Prior to 1998 there were other series like L for 1997, J for 1993, G fro 1989 to 1992, and the E for the single sided keys. These codes are for locks that actually have tumblers and springs. The ignition nodes are electronic only. When you program a key for the ignition, the RFHM learns the chip in the key or fob, up to 8 keys.

The M**** translates to 8 digits that are the actual cut depths. There is a database for those 8 digits that dealers and most locksmiths have. There are 4 possible depths, a "1" is no cut and a "4" is the deepest cut. Here is an old pic showing the cuts on an old L series key:
View media item 26756

Thanks for the info, made the change on my previous post.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone verified that only the chrome side mirrors have the memory/tilt in reverse function??? I found a set of black mirrors that seem to have quite a few wires compared to the standard base mirrors...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone verified that only the chrome side mirrors have the memory/tilt in reverse function??? I found a set of black mirrors that seem to have quite a few wires compared to the standard base mirrors...
It will need to have more than four wires in the white connector to have the memory function. Also if your truck is a 13 or newer make sure the mirrors are off of or for a 13 or newer Ram.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: