Alignment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildkarde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a 2012 1500 that had been lifted by rocky ridge trucks before I bought it. I had to do some front end work on the truck a few months ago and my shop had the darndest time getting a proper alignment done. So we contacted rocky ridge and they stated that during the install they trimmed the factory inner tie rods so the truck would align. (My current shop deals with lifted trucks and does custom work but still found that very strange)

Last week I had to replace my rack and pinion (one of the mounting brackets broke...i hate NYC streets) and i neglected to save the old rods. So of course the alignment shop finds it impossible to get the front end zeroed out. In fact the front wheels are toed outwards.

I'm going to have to do these same modifications to the OEM inner rods when my custom shop reopens after Corona quarantine, but until then my truck is stuck in my driveway.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
It's a standard pro comp 6" lift.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2012 1500 that had been lifted by rocky ridge trucks before I bought it. I had to do some front end work on the truck a few months ago and my shop had the darndest time getting a proper alignment done. So we contacted rocky ridge and they stated that during the install they trimmed the factory inner tie rods so the truck would align. (My current shop deals with lifted trucks and does custom work but still found that very strange)

Last week I had to replace my rack and pinion (one of the mounting brackets broke...i hate NYC streets) and i neglected to save the old rods. So of course the alignment shop finds it impossible to get the front end zeroed out. In fact the front wheels are toed outwards.

I'm going to have to do these same modifications to the OEM inner rods when my custom shop reopens after Corona quarantine, but until then my truck is stuck in my driveway.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
It's a standard pro comp 6" lift.
I installed the BDS 6" lift on my 14 1500 and had to trim both tie rod ends to achieve the proper alignment as per the instructions that came with the lift. I think it's pretty much standard practice with a lot of the lift kits for these trucks. The kit also came with different tie rod ends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the BDS 6" lift on my 14 1500 and had to trim both tie rod ends to achieve the proper alignment as per the instructions that came with the lift. I think it's pretty much standard practice with a lot of the lift kits for these trucks. The kit also came with different tie rod ends.

Hmmm, the kit came with new tie rod ends, but they had to be trimmed? Seems odd.

OP
OP
wildkarde

wildkarde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found the install instructions based on what "Ricks Ram" mentioned.

Looks like you have you cut 1/2" inch off the inners and ends

Screenshot_20200415-100327_Drive.jpg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, the kit came with new tie rod ends, but they had to be trimmed? Seems odd.
Yip I thought it was strange too. I actually put it together without trimming it just to see if it would align but it wasn't even close. The new tie rod ends are shorter than the stock with the BDS kit. I'm pretty sure they are used so you don't have to trim as much off of the tie rods but they still need to be trimmed.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Fabtech Preformance 6” lift came with shorter tie rod ends. My mechanic at the time, said he installed lifts a lot while at a different shop and they had to most often then not, had to cut the tie rod ends.