Almost cost me an engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So this past Thursday 4.7.2022 coincidencentaly
I had topped my overflow tank with coolant. It was in the 60/40 range with distilled water.

Driving the next couple days I noticed my temps increasing!!! 210 - 215°F. Friday into Saturday I'm up to 230°F on the freeway but ironically trans temp were icey for the 8speed at 177° F.

After careful inspection and consideration I had pin pointed the issue to being a faulty thermostat.

I spent a couple hours flushing the system with both the overflow and the radiator. Disposed of the coolant properly of course. Used tap water for the flushing.

Due to my situation I used premixed Prestone 50/50 yellow 300,000 mile blah blah blah.

I went with Duralast 180° thermostat this round. Tuned for it already so it was plug and play. Made sure to have the cylinder head clean before installation.

Needless to say I'm very happy with the results!!! Truck is very happy. No head gasket issues so far but I'll keep my eye on it.

I am disappointed with this Mishimoto 180° thermostat. It's less than 4 years old and failed already. It's common knowledge thermostats should last closer to 10 years.

My diagnosis is the gasket of the thermostat failed causing the thermostat to get suck so far into the cylinder head that coolant transfer was impossible. I'm just grateful it didn't cost me a rebuild.

I've included a couple pics of the failed unit
20220411_131658.jpg

20220411_131647.jpg

I purposely didn't wipe anything on the tstat for documentation purpose. I wanted zoomed in photos as well.

For $50+ I don't recommend this product based on this experience. My replacement was half the cost.

So far so good about to click off 130,000 miles.

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Finally made it to 130,000.

Curious how many more miles I'll get out of it before any other issues arise

20220414_174315.jpgp

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some companies still manufacture Thermostats, that when they FAIL, the fail in the CLOSED position.

At least 10 years ago, some manufacturers started building Thermostats that should they fail, the unit remains in the Open position.
These units allow the water to continue to flow, there by saving the engine

=================

I will only mention that you are NOT running MOPAR OAT.

Don't let anyone else work on your radiator, unless you let them know what your radiator has in it

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did I read that right? You spent over $50 for a thermostat?

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had topped my overflow tank with coolant. It was in the 60/40 range with distilled water.

Driving the next couple days I noticed my temps increasing!!! 210 - 215°F. Friday into Saturday I'm up to 230°F on the freeway but ironically trans temp were icey for the 8speed at 177° F.

After careful inspection and consideration I had pin pointed the issue to being a faulty thermostat.

I spent a couple hours flushing the system with both the overflow and the radiator. Disposed of the coolant properly of course. Used tap water for the flushing.

Due to my situation I used premixed Prestone 50/50 yellow 300,000 mile blah blah blah.

I went with Duralast 180° thermostat this round. Tuned for it already so it was plug and play. Made sure to have the cylinder head clean before installation.

Needless to say I'm very happy with the results!!! Truck is very happy. No head gasket issues so far but I'll keep my eye on it.

I am disappointed with this Mishimoto 180° thermostat. It's less than 4 years old and failed already. It's common knowledge thermostats should last closer to 10 years.

My diagnosis is the gasket of the thermostat failed causing the thermostat to get suck so far into the cylinder head that coolant transfer was impossible. I'm just grateful it didn't cost me a rebuild.

View attachment 491004

View attachment 491005

I purposely didn't wipe anything on the tstat for documentation purpose. I wanted zoomed in photos as well.

For $50+ I don't recommend this product based on this experience. My replacement was half the cost.

Why didn’t you buy and install an OEM Mopar thermostat?

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Why didn’t you buy and install an OEM Mopar thermostat?

Location and ease of access to replacement parts. Literally 1.5 miles down the street vs the dealer 10+ miles away. Cost. Didn't have time to wait on shipping something.

Lots of basic reasons.

I can tell you this though. If my coolant temps climb and my rad cap is icy I'll know what to fix without failure.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thermostats are hit and miss. I am running a 180 that opens up fully at 187. I replaced it with a brand new on that didn't fully open up till 193. I can tell by watching coolant temps drop when driving on a cold engine. The coolant temps will creep up till the thermostat fully opens then the temps will drop all of a sudden by about 10 degrees then creep back up. I have 180degree stat in mine and the truck runs at 185.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
thermostats are hit and miss. I am running a 180 that opens up fully at 187. I replaced it with a brand new on that didn't fully open up till 193. I can tell by watching coolant temps drop when driving on a cold engine. The coolant temps will creep up till the thermostat fully opens then the temps will drop all of a sudden by about 10 degrees then creep back up. I have 180degree stat in mine and the truck runs at 185.
Even if you stick a 160 or 170 t-stat in them,they'll still show 185 at full operating temp,but heater output starts to go downhill. With a 160 in my little regular cab you won't really get hot inside it if the outdoor temp drops down below 15F

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
One nice thing. My electric fan rarely kicks on. It's set at 195 but cruising speeds I'm at 185-192.

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 491004

View attachment 491005

I went w/a ‘No-Fault’ 195*, the original one was a 202-203, can't remember for sure, but haven’t had a problem since change, apprx 7-8yrs

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I put a performance tune on my 07' 5.7L HEMI , went to an efan and as indicated for the tune I replaced the tstat with a Jet 180° tstat. My truck wasn't having problems with engine temperature, but when I pulled the tstat I was very surprised it was working. See the photos.
Original Thermostat3.JPGOriginal Thermostat2.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357