Alpine Sub box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm just thinking out loud here, and am sure I am missing something that someone will correct me on. From everything I can determine, the box is the weak link with the alpine system. I assume that is because it is made from thin HDPE and flexes a ton. Has anyone taken the box out and covered it in fiberglass to strengthen it and reduce the flex and vibration? I would think it would reinforce it quite well, but I've never read about anyone doing it. Will fiberglass bond to HDPE? or would there end up being a slight airgap that rattled?

i want to upgrade the sub and add some polyfill to the box, but not spend a ton of money on another set-up. I know just upgrading the sub will have only a mild effect, but I'm curious if reinforcing the OEM box is feasible. As much as I'd love to get rid of it and install a 10" of some kind with a better amp, that just isnt something I'm willing to do right now.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, google put an end to that. Sort of, anyway. Fiberglass will not bond to HDPE. But, West Systems makes an epoxy that is designed to bond to HDPE, and fiberglass bonds well to it.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...poxy-resin-and-hardener--9223132?recordNum=23

So, now I'm thinking I could get a couple of kits of this, coat the box in a thin layer, let it cure, then fiberglass the box on top of this stuff to reinforce it. It doesnt have to be pretty since it will be under the seat and under the fold flat floor. It just needs to be stiffer than it is currently.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the poly-fill trick and the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 sub. There was an improvement.

I did the front dash speakers the year before, now getting ready for the doors.

Btw...on the Alpine system.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the poly-fill trick and the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 sub. There was an improvement.

I did the front dash speakers the year before, now getting ready for the doors.

Btw...on the Alpine system.
I've heard some people say the improvement is minimal, some say it is satisfactory. I'm pretty happy with it as is, so any improvement I reckon will be good for me. I'm just curious is stiffening up the box will improve the sound. I can't see how it wont, since it would not flex nearly as much. I've always had loud exhausts and over the top custom audio systems in all of my vehicles. This is the first one I've owned for 3 years and not touched. I was considering getting rid of the truck, and my wife tried talking me out of it, so in order to compromise, I told her I would keep it but there's a few things I'm going to do to it. Sound upgrade being one of the top on the list.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my Ram too much to dump her, she's been a blast modding.

I just started researching sound deadening. I think this might be a real decent upgrade to the cab.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I like my Ram too much to dump her, she's been a blast modding.

I just started researching sound deadening. I think this might be a real decent upgrade to the cab.
Pictures if you do it!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk