Am i getting the hemi tick or do i have an exhaust leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So i had jba longtube headers installed the other day, and now i can either really hear the hemi tick or do i have an exhaust leak.

Hopefully it stops raining tomorrow so i can get a sound clip.

it doesn't go away after warming up so i'm assuming it is the hemi tick

as i go up in rpms it ticks faster and faster.

one thing i got today was a p0325 code..which is knock sensor issue, not that i have knock, just a supposed sensor issue. I cleared it, hopefully that doesn't come back and hopefully it isn't related.

If it is the tick, what are some ways to lessin the tick? i already use synthetic oil

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
KG: get a good/long sound clip posted before Any guessing is started...

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
will do, first thing in the morning

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I cannot help you with your question, but do you have the 8spd, if so how did you hook up the longtubes to the ypipe?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i have a 6 speed sorry, all custom pipes anyway

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i had jba longtube headers installed the other day, and now i have an exhaust leak.

:):):)

(Headers have a sound of their own as well due to their 'thin compared to cast iron' walls,,,)

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cj8E_75dPQ

here is the best video i could get right now, that tick gets faster and louder as the rpms go up. i can even hear it in the cab..over my insanely loud exhaust. Sounds like i have a diesel..wish i did lol

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
:):):)

(Headers have a sound of their own as well due to their 'thin compared to cast iron' walls,,,)

ive heard that, thats why i figured it might be the tick, just ALOT more pronounced now.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds pretty normal with headers just my 2 cents though might re tourque ur header bolts though just to make sure it's not a gasket leak

CannonBall10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L R/T
I'm not a Hemi pro, but I am an "oh crap what's that new noise my Harley is making" pro.

Go to the stop 'n pop and grab a big incense stick, fire up the truck and use the smoke from the stick to check all of your welds and gasket connections.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not a Hemi pro, but I am an "oh crap what's that new noise my Harley is making" pro.

Go to the stop 'n pop and grab a big incense stick, fire up the truck and use the smoke from the stick to check all of your welds and gasket connections.

problem with that technique is that i cant check the headers with it. The fan blows air straight past those headers making it impossible to feel any air around the flanges

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't hear a dang thing out of the ordinary.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't hear a dang thing out of the ordinary.

you must be used to the diesel sound haha.

I hope my mind is just playing games on me and its just the tick.

Im going to get an interior video of my driving and hopefully a better engine bay one tomorrow, im not going to torture my neighbors right now

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you must be used to the diesel sound haha.

I hope my mind is just playing games on me and its just the tick.

Im going to get an interior video of my driving and hopefully a better engine bay one tomorrow, im not going to torture my neighbors right now

No worries man. When we get something new, we want it to be perfect. Not saying there is anything wrong with your truck (personally I don't think there is), but it could very well be a function of you being hyper sensitive to it.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Last edited:

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds a lot like mine. Never had the code pop up thpugh. I'd check the knock sensor plug and wires.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
if it pops up again ill worry about it. I didn't have it pop up today and i was getting on it.

can you hear a ticking from your interior? I know its almost impossible to hear in the video but it pretty obvious in person

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still don't hear jack.

Question for you though, is your truck tuned? If so take it out and see if you still feel/hear a difference and throw codes.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if it pops up again ill worry about it. I didn't have it pop up today and i was getting on it.

can you hear a ticking from your interior? I know its almost impossible to hear in the video but it pretty obvious in person

Yes, sounds like a old singer sewing machine, expecially with the big valve heads I have. Just re- torque after a few hundred if you didn't use oem gaskets. My knock sensors did pick it up(1-4 st @ wot), but after throughout check we desensitized them a little. Perfect!