Amyone use Timbren SES for towing 13k-14k 5er with 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davalt75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I found some threads on here discussing Timbren or Sumo springs vs airbags, but I didn't see anyone using them with my exact setup. I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a 13k 5er (dry weight) and pull it with my 2021 Laramie 4x4 with the Cummins. I've already hooked up to the camper and pulled it for a short test drive and it seemed to pull and stop fine. But the rear does squat a bit and I'm looking to install a set of Timbren springs to level it out. I don't want to get into a debate about payload. That's a dead horse that's been beaten to death on here. Just looking for some feedback from anyone who tows a heavy 5er with their 2500 and uses the Timbrens.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I use the blue Sumo Spring Rebel towing my 14k 5ver. In stock form, they separate and don't touch when not loaded so it basically a stock ride. This was good for me because I occasionally have to off road at the deer lease and farm and the rear tires articulate to the point where one tire is in the fender well and the stretched out which would likely damage an air bag.

The trucks rear will need to squat about an inch before the rebels make contact, but once they do it isn't going to squat much further. This is fine if your truck is stock with the stock front end rake, but you may want to get the 1 inch spacer they sell (you have to call them to get it) if your truck is leveled like mine. My truck didn't a lot without the spacer, but I don't want any squat so added them. As far as ride and stability, the side to side bounce is virtually eliminated and the back and fourth bounce is minimized. You will still get a back and fourth bounce if you hit a really hard bump, but overall stability while towing is vastly improved.

Install is really easy and takes less than 30 minutes. Adding in and taking off the spacer takes less than 5 minutes.

Here is a picture of how much you will squat with a 14k 43 ft 5ver with the Rebels with their 1 spacer.
truck towing.jpg

OP
OP
davalt75

davalt75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. To me it seems like kind of a toss up btwn the Sumos or Timbrens. Cheaper than airbags and easier to install and maintain. Just curious, does your truck have 3.73 or 4.10 gears? I do have a 2" leveling kit on mine and 3.73 rear end.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I have 3.42's which was the only ratio they offered with the single rear wheel diesels in my year. Now that this truck is mostly regulated to towing, I wish I had 3.73's. Don't get me wrong, with all the mod's I am not lacking in power going up the grades and can easily keep 70 mph up just about any highway grade. However, I do wish I had a little more off the line performance.

I also keep in 5th when towing. This is not due lacking power in 6th, but rather to keep the stress of the trans and because 5th puts me at the "sweet spot" between 1,600-1,900 rpm(dark blue spot in pic below) for better fuel economy when towing. I will say, with my truck in 5th, I have more gear multiplication than 4.10's in 6th and 4.10's in 5th put me well over the "sweet spot" rpm below. I believe 3.73's are ideal.

Cummins BSFC Blank.png