Another Lift/Level Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocHolliday24

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a 2.5 inch on the front and that was super hard to compress and put the spring in correctly. I can’t imagine how hard a 3.5 would be or also have stiff the suspension would be. The suspension drops quite a bit from a 2.5

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
what's your goal? Bils up front set at 2.8 and then a zone body lift will get you up

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would NOT put that kit on your truck. Asking for problems. Cub, looks like you've been a memeber long enough to know all the info regarding spacers. Thats a nice truck, why mess it up?

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do decide to go the space route, make sure you replace your UCA’s.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
So I should stay 2.5 inch or less on the front?
Yeah at the most imo. I agree with shadow hawk. Get the bills 5100 up front to level thing out and then either a 1.5 or 3” body lift and you’re good to go. Also none of these are very expensive

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Looking at doing the Level/Lift to my truck. Found this on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Dodge-1500...11&sr=8-19-spons&keywords=2017+ram+1500&psc=1

Think it is worth it?

Hope you don't mind if I chime in... When we did our testing on the 2013+ Ram 1500 4wd we discovered that using our 09-12 model 2.5" strut spacers was causing the upper control arm ball joints to pull completely out. Not sure if Ram changed the ball joint design or the arms or what exactly happened but something changed on the 13+ 1500 4wd models. So we had to design a new kit for the 13+ trucks that is a two piece combo leveling kit. You get 1.5" lift out of the strut spacer and 1" lift from the coil spacers we offer. Here is the link to the kit if you want to check it out. I can't even imagine what a 3.5" strut spacer only would do to those ball joints but I don't think you'd get very far before they completely ripped out of the socket. Please let me know if you have any questions! http://www.maxtracsuspension.com/13-15-dodge-ram-1500-4wd-2-5-leveling-kit.html

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Looking at doing the Level/Lift to my truck. Found this on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Dodge-1500...11&sr=8-19-spons&keywords=2017+ram+1500&psc=1

Think it is worth it?

Others have addressed the ball joint issue as for price consider this Rough Country 2.5" front kit only cost $59.95, rear spacers are around $30 on eBay. Below is some info from another thread that you may find useful if you decide to lift using either spacers or Bilsteins.

To clarify about spacers V/S adjustable Bilsteins...There are two mechanically different types of front spacer. One type goes on top of the strut the other is installed IN the strut.

First you must have clear in your mind how Bilsteins accomplish lift, in short.... As the movable adjustment on the shock body is moved up it compress/preload the spring more than it is compressed/preloaded on a stock strut, that's it.

1. Mechanically the RC kit is does EXACTLY the same thing but instead of moving the lower spring mount up it uses a spacer. The spacer is installed IN the strut to add the preload, again both kits lift by adding preload. Remember the key word "IN", the spacer is IN the strut, the overall length of the strut is unchanged, the assembled length of OEM strut and Bilstein strut is not significantly different. Look at the parts in the kits .http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-front-leveling-lift-kit-363.html

2. The other less desirable type of spacer lift does not require disassembly of the strut, preload is not changed. The spacer mounts on TOP of the strut making the strut assembly LONGER than an OEM strut. This type is the spacer that has a bad rap it can stress the upper ball joint, look at the part. https://www.hellbentsteel.com/shop/...ding-mega-cab-and-air-ride-suspension-models/

OP
OP
cubmedic

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Others have addressed the ball joint issue as for price consider this Rough Country 2.5" front kit only cost $59.95, rear spacers are around $30 on eBay. Below is some info from another thread that you may find useful if you decide to lift using either spacers or Bilsteins.

To clarify about spacers V/S adjustable Bilsteins...There are two mechanically different types of front spacer. One type goes on top of the strut the other is installed IN the strut.

First you must have clear in your mind how Bilsteins accomplish lift, in short.... As the movable adjustment on the shock body is moved up it compress/preload the spring more than it is compressed/preloaded on a stock strut, that's it.

1. Mechanically the RC kit is does EXACTLY the same thing but instead of moving the lower spring mount up it uses a spacer. The spacer is installed IN the strut to add the preload, again both kits lift by adding preload. Remember the key word "IN", the spacer is IN the strut, the overall length of the strut is unchanged, the assembled length of OEM strut and Bilstein strut is not significantly different. Look at the parts in the kits .http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-front-leveling-lift-kit-363.html

2. The other less desirable type of spacer lift does not require disassembly of the strut, preload is not changed. The spacer mounts on TOP of the strut making the strut assembly LONGER than an OEM strut. This type is the spacer that has a bad rap it can stress the upper ball joint, look at the part. https://www.hellbentsteel.com/shop/...ding-mega-cab-and-air-ride-suspension-models/
So are you saying the rough country kit is just as good as the Bilstein Shocks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
So are you saying the rough country kit is just as good as the Bilstein Shocks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No and yes, why? they are different animals.....The 2.5" Rough Country kit lifts by the same method, so it is as good at providing lift without causing harm or additional stress to the upper ball joint and that is where my comparison ended.

Of note the lift amounts are not identical the RC kit lifts 2.5", the Bilsteins two top adjustments are 2.1" and 2.8". A few thoughts beyond that.... Not many people that drive mainly on pavement complain about ride or have a problem with OEM Ram struts. Oem struts seem to be decent quality, so if they are fairly new and have a lot of miles of life left in them you can install the $59.95 RC kit and wait until the struts need replacing THEN spend the approximately $200.00 for a new set of Bilsteins. One other important factor is if a person is not going to do the work himself labor cost is a consideration so he might be wise to go straight to Bilsteins.