another sad, but expected dealer story ram 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you go from drive to reverse or vice vera...do feel a clunk like there is any play? I'm assuming that gear lash is set my hand, so there is a possibility that it could be incorrect and something like a pinion nut has to be torqued so much, i'm assuming it is done by a machine in the factory.

Nope not a single clunk anywhere.. Nice and smooth. But Im not sure how its set also, whether its done by hand or machine during the assembly process.

InvictusII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Great, mine is at the dealer now for the same exact thing. I'm sure I'll get the same response. I can get it to whine on and off with the pedal. We'll see if they can replicate the problem.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great, mine is at the dealer now for the same exact thing. I'm sure I'll get the same response. I can get it to whine on and off with the pedal. We'll see if they can replicate the problem.

Mine is just there enough to be noticeable to a trained ear. My wife doesn't hear it, But I have experience with it in other vehicles so I know what Im hearing.
and its there on or off the gas, which leads me to think bearing.. who knows. Supposedly my tech drove a new one and heard the same thing, so he said its not abnormal.. but I have drove others that didn't do it, and mine didn't do it new, and it just hit 6K miles.
My service manager guy was nice, as was I, and we are going to get together on a saturday morning in the near future and drive my truck and 1 or two others I think with the Tech to verify the noise.. Hopefully you won't have to do any of that!

Last edited:

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I had this very same whining noise from rear issue in my 2015 with 4.10 gears. Dropped it off stating issue. Tech heard noise and they rebuilt entire rear end including gears. So far it's been good. Hope they get it done for you. Mine may have been more noticeable than yours

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
my 2017 2500 has zero gear whine from the rear, but only have 2200 miles on it.

it's going into the shop tomorrow for grinding going into reverse, a leaking ps box output shaft seal, rough idle when cold 1st thing in the morning.

i do get clunks/ bangs going from reverse to park, etc

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Any update with yours?

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 3500 with 6.4 & 4:10a doesn't whine at any speed.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If your truck moves and isn't on fire everything is just fine according to Ram.

I'm convinced a large part of service manager training is making up over-technical confusing BS stories and giving the all too common, "they all do that" explanation.

Car dealerships often are crooked because as soon as you walk on their lot they have a license to steal. There is a huge dealership lobby that pays off local federal government politicians to get laws passed and changed to favor them.

Do you want to make the economy boom? Want the big 3 to stop struggling? SIMPLE.
Give the car buyer the option to buy directly from the manufacturer. Running a car through the dealer network adds thousands of dollars to the cost.
Unfortunately it is ILLEGAL to buy direct thanks to crooked politicians taking money from lobbyist. So you think a lemon law offers protection? Yes, but you have to document EVERY transaction with the dealership. It is common for them to tell you "we can't fix it, go away". You have to document the fact you took you vehicle in for service and they refused. If you are successful in a lemon law buy back, the dealer isn't out anything. They ARE NOT OBLIGATED to disclose the vehicle was a lemon buy back. They just sell it to the next sucker.