Another Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 developed what I suspected was an exhaust leak at both exhaust manifolds. I called dealership that I purchased the truck from and was told that to diagnose the sound would be $150 and it could be deducted if I had them do the work. I was also told my extended warranty had expired roughly a month ago. Knowing the price of the dealership repairs for the exhaust manifold leak I bought the parts and completed the drivers side only to find that the passenger side had a broken bolt that was too far in the head to drill so I put everything back together and took the truck to the nearest dealership and explained what all I had done and told them what I was told that the warranty had expired. The service rep said basic cost would be $350-$550 if they can get the bolt out and “a lot more” if they couldn’t. Got a call next day from the service dept saying the tech was not able to remove the bolt and a new head was on order. Good news was I was wrong about the extended warranty being expired so I only owe the $100 deductible however the service manager wants me to pay for the 3hrs the tech spent trying to get the bolt out thinking I had no warranty, another $300 for a total of $400 which is much better than $3000.00 without a warranty.

Anyone see a problem here besides me? I’m pretty certain the service dept is going to charge Chrysler for the 3hrs as well as me and I have issue with that plus, is it standard procedure to work harder for those who don’t have a warranty? Do the service depts just outright replace the heads if there is a warranty? And why charge me for a job that took 3hrs and didn’t fix the broken bolt?

Anyone?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If it's an FCA warranty then do not pay it. The dealer can see if you have an FCA warranty when they enter your vin in their computer. Wasn't it the dealer that told you it had expired? If so then it's on them, you just pay the 100.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That doesn't make sense at all. You took the truck in to be repaired, period, regardless of how the repair was completed. That 3 hours should be added to the total repair bill paid for by the warranty.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That doesn't make sense at all. You took the truck in to be repaired, period, regardless of how the repair was completed. That 3 hours should be added to the total repair bill paid for by the warranty.
That’s how I feel. If there truly was no warranty I would be charged but every bit of labor related to the replacement, likewise since there is a warranty I should be clear of all but the deductible..

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is a job for Ramcares. Agree with above, dealership should have seen warranty coverage when accepting vehicle in for service, and why would it matter if there was warranty or not, I would assume they would try to remove first before ordering new head regardless of in or out of warranty as it is cheaper.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a job for Ramcares. Agree with above, dealership should have seen warranty coverage when accepting vehicle in for service, and why would it matter if there was warranty or not, I would assume they would try to remove first before ordering new head regardless of in or out of warranty as it is cheaper.
I was hoping they would chime in. Feels like no matter what the warranty condition is they were going to charge me a couple hundred aside from the deductible.
What’s the point of having the warranty as well as having to deal with the headache of this type of work having to be done? My previous vehicle, a Tahoe, went for over 300k miles and only needed some tranny work until it lost oil pressure @340k miles.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was hoping they would chime in. Feels like no matter what the warranty condition is they were going to charge me a couple hundred aside from the deductible.
What’s the point of having the warranty as well as having to deal with the headache of this type of work having to be done? My previous vehicle, a Tahoe, went for over 300k miles and only needed some tranny work until it lost oil pressure @340k miles.
Is it an FCA warranty or 3rd party warranty?

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it an FCA warranty or 3rd party warranty?
I’m guessing it’s simply an extension of the factory warranty by the dealership? The truck isn’t at the dealer I purchased it from which is why I think that way.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

We apologize for the trouble! Please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Follow up,
I contacted RAM Cares and talked over my issue and was told all work for swapping cylinder head including labor is covered under my warranty and if the dealership tried to charge me I should tell them to call which I did. After talking to RAM Cares my out the door cost was my deductable. My truck runs good as new and is as quiet as well. So far I couldn’t be happier.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 developed what I suspected was an exhaust leak at both exhaust manifolds. I called dealership that I purchased the truck from and was told that to diagnose the sound would be $150 and it could be deducted if I had them do the work. I was also told my extended warranty had expired roughly a month ago. Knowing the price of the dealership repairs for the exhaust manifold leak I bought the parts and completed the drivers side only to find that the passenger side had a broken bolt that was too far in the head to drill so I put everything back together and took the truck to the nearest dealership and explained what all I had done and told them what I was told that the warranty had expired. The service rep said basic cost would be $350-$550 if they can get the bolt out and “a lot more” if they couldn’t. Got a call next day from the service dept saying the tech was not able to remove the bolt and a new head was on order. Good news was I was wrong about the extended warranty being expired so I only owe the $100 deductible however the service manager wants me to pay for the 3hrs the tech spent trying to get the bolt out thinking I had no warranty, another $300 for a total of $400 which is much better than $3000.00 without a warranty.

Anyone see a problem here besides me? I’m pretty certain the service dept is going to charge Chrysler for the 3hrs as well as me and I have issue with that plus, is it standard procedure to work harder for those who don’t have a warranty? Do the service depts just outright replace the heads if there is a warranty? And why charge me for a job that took 3hrs and didn’t fix the broken bolt?

Anyone?
I really doubt they will 'charge' Chrysler for the 3 hours to work the old head.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Way to go Ram Cares!!! I'm sometimes critical of the caring part so I'm always one to chime in when they step in, step up and help resolve issues. Especially the ones that seem like no brainers. These rides ain't cheap and it's nice to know they actually do care.