antifreeze smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found some sand like material on top of my overflow tank. I've also been smelling antifreeze when I turn the truck off. Its a 2004 Ram 1500 ST 5.7

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Smelling it inside or outside of the vehicle?

OP
OP
G

General440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Outside after I get out of the truck, but no leaks that I can see

Dougstr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anyone put die in their antifreeze? Then used a black light to find the leak.

Troystoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone put die in their antifreeze? Then used a black light to find the leak.
I havent yet but under warranty . going to dealer next week . noticed antifreeze on top of air cleaner recently , and cant find leak anywhere ..
there is a overflow tube run right behind it but it was dry ?? but def frustrating have had the smell for a yr !!!

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the same antifreeze smell and some grit on top of my antifreeze overflow reservoir. From what I have read or can find it is normal for you to have a slight antifreeze smell due to the steam let out of the overflow tube. This also creates the sand like particles on the overflow reservoir due to the drying out of the antifreeze. I have not found where this is any indication of antifreeze failure or any part of the vehicle's cooling system. I have had this issue for as long as I can remember and I have owned my truck for over 12 yrs. It is an '04 Ram 1500 SLT with a 5.7 Hemi. Since I have owned my truck I have replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses, the thermostat, the water pump and head gaskets. None of these fixed the smell or sand like particles. I always keep an eye on the antifreeze overflow reservoir and add to it as necessary. Hope this helps!