Any Tesla radio installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Julio same boat as me. They say my new harness should be here in a few days so I"ll let you know if that takes care of things. They sent me a photo of each and it appears like the other harness has the additional speaker wires that would be necessary. I believe the "ram with grand cherokee power line" harness ONLY has front left and front right speakers. which is why you can get the left to right fade but not the rear to front. Looking at the harness labeled "ram lo power cord" it appears to have the additional rear left and rear right; though it is hard to tell just from the photo so I will confirm once it is in my hands.

Fluxlicious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just finished reading all 41 pages lol!

First of all, @mdifilippo great work man, *virtual bow for you*

I'm also looking into buying this unit and i found this forum by researching it.

I don't mind a bit of a challenge. As long as i can play with these kind of things my inner child is satisfied :p

@mdifilippo, how come you cleared some of your posts that had to do with the mic? I could still read some of them in quotes. With your new unit, are you still using your own mic on the stock location or are you back to the built-in mic? Did it have effect on the sound quality?

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Fluxlicious thank you for the praise. The reason I removed the posts about the mic (and I'm sorry that they are now all blank I'll work on getting them repopulated) is because someone from Espony-Cargo was on these forums (they had deleted their comment and account shortly after) and I was a little worried they would try to use me modifying part of the unit in the paypal case. They never even responded to the paypal claim so I was being a little extra safe (or paranoid) there.

Yes, I am still using my modified microphone with the new radio and it is FANTASTIC. Is it super pretty with a little electret microphone sticking out? No, but it works great and in my eyes is still a better view then a typical aftermarket microphone sticking out somewhere it doesn't belong. The stock mic placement is just plain silly, there is no way it could sound good, it's probably the EXACT SAME MIC, but it's the location that doesn't work.

To be clear the stock dual microphones in the Ram will not work, I did a lot of testing both at the radio end and at the mic end, I believe those microphones need (and/or?) an amplifier/signal processor.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions and hope I haven't skipped over anyone either. I'm thinking of starting a new thread with all my findings and information just as an easier way to have it all in one place.

Fluxlicious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me call quality is very important, i do a lot of calls when i'm on the road. It's that important I won't install the unit until i'm absolutely sure i have good call quality.
It's an reassurance you managed to do that by using your own mic, that means the issue is not on the electronics part.

When i have the unit i'll also give a go at using the stock mics. I like there's a mic for the passenger as well and i'd prefer to keep them and have them nicely tucked away.
In high school i did electronics so i have an idea or two i can try.

A mic circuit is actually a very simple circuit, but it's always configured to a certain mic resistance.You have electret microphones ranging from 200 Ohm up to 500-600 Ohm.
Did you see any resistors/capacitors on the small board where the unit mic is connected to of it is all inside the unit itself?

As for the tethering of your internet connection from your phone to the unit. It's unclear what methods the unit supports? WiFi for sure (seen it), USB / Bluetooth as well?

Last edited:

dndssc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have repleaced the mic (including the cable from the logic board) and now bluetooth calls are working!!
Someone tried to update the tesla unit with phoenixandroidradios update?

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For me call quality is very important, i do a lot of calls when i'm on the road. It's that important I won't install the unit until i'm absolutely sure i have good call quality.
It's an reassurance you managed to do that by using your own mic, that means the issue is not on the electronics part.

When i have the unit i'll also give a go at using the stock mics. I like there's a mic for the passenger as well and i'd prefer to keep them and have them nicely tucked away.
In high school i did electronics so i have an idea or two i can try.

A mic circuit is actually a very simple circuit, but it's always configured to a certain mic resistance.You have electret microphones ranging from 200 Ohm up to 500-600 Ohm.
Did you see any resistors/capacitors on the small board where the unit mic is connected to of it is all inside the unit itself?

As for the tethering of your internet connection from your phone to the unit. It's unclear what methods the unit supports? WiFi for sure (seen it), USB / Bluetooth as well?
The stock mic has nothing between it and the board. On the board it's self is simply the hazard lights button and a reset doesn't appear to have anything else. But of the issue could be that the ram stock mics are setup for stereo while the unit is mono, in theory that shouldn't matter but worth pointing put.

As far as tethering; for internet you can only get it through connecting via WiFi. Neither the espony cargo or Phoenix Android units appear to be able to use a simcard. You can mirror your phone (either iPhone or Android) via USB tethering but I don't think it will connect to an internet connection through that (haven't tested but based off of things I don't believe it can work)

Concerning Bluetooth this so far will only act as a "Bluetooth speaker" . That is, it won't find other Bluetooth devices. Example; I have an RGB Bluetooth controller for lights. I open the app on my phone and it immediately finds the device (no pairing needed). I open the app on the headunit and it can't find the device. So this leads me to believe the unit is only meant to act as a discoverable device and not as a host (does this make sense?)

The new update from Phoenix will simply add more theme options. Format a USB drive to Fat32 insert into the USB port and wait for an update prompt to appear on screen then just let it do it's thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just got the new harness in the mail and can confirm that the "ram low power cord" has the LF, RF, LR, RR speakers where as the "The ram with the grand cherokee power line" only has LR, RR speakers. I want to clarify, the "ram with grand cherokee..." based off of a stock diagram has only the rear right, and rear left speakers, however the pin out could be switched once it gets to the new headunit and that could be getting used as front's only. Not too sure but based off of the diagram below which is correct that is the pinout from the factory harness to the new harness. Could be a simple error at the plant wherever all of these units are turned out and they labeled them wrong. If you have an issue where the audio is only coming out of the front speakers OR you cannot "fade" front and rear contact phoenix radio about getting the "ram low power cord" harness, OR modify your existing harness (explanation and pictures should help for anyone who wants to modify the harness themselves)

Looking at the factory harness connector the larger male terminals should be on the right side (label facing up) you'll notice the two bottom rows, those are the speaker outputs, the "ram with grand cherokee power line" only has 4 pins (RF-, RL+, RR-, LR+). See the diagram below for reference of these (it is reversed compared to how I am telling you to look at the connector, they are show it to you with the LARGE pins in the upper left corner. These wires then go to the smaller black connector on the harness which plugs into the new radio. Looking at the small black connector locate the locking pin and flip the connector 180 degrees so the pin is on the bottom. You'll see a lower gauge yellow and black wire, this is the power in, to the LEFT of these are 4 blank spots, and below that are 4 wires. The blank spots are the missing speakers, the wires below are the speakers that correlate to front right and rear right on the factory harness side.

The wiring to the cambus connector is the exact same as are the outputs of; camera ( factory backup cam), aux in L, aux in R, CD Audio L, CD Audio R. So neither harness has any additional features OTHER THEN speakers.

Confused yet? haha
Factory connector pin out
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 10.42.01 AM.png
Side by side of the two different harnesses.
IMG_20180216_095813.jpg
Pinout of the two harnesses on the factory connector end
Vehicle_Connector.jpg
Pinout on the unit's connector end
Unit_Pinout.jpg
Same as above but showing the wires
Unit_ConnectorDiagram.jpg

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Started a more information themed thread, it's crazy trying to recount all of this information that i've come up with over a relatively short amount of time. The purpose of this new thread is to have as much useful information in a more clear and concise format. I'll keep updating this thread with more "experimental" information.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Started a more information themed thread, it's crazy trying to recount all of this information that i've come up with over a relatively short amount of time. The purpose of this new thread is to have as much useful information in a more clear and concise format. I'll keep updating this thread with more "experimental" information.
Link?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone that has one of these, is there a harness which plugs into the radio and our AC harness? I just got my radio in today and I don't seem to have anywhere to plug my ac harness into. Thus, no AC controls are working obviously.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For anyone that has one of these, is there a harness which plugs into the radio and our AC harness? I just got my radio in today and I don't seem to have anywhere to plug my ac harness into. Thus, no AC controls are working obviously.
Yes, there should be a pigtail with a grey connector that plugs into the a/c harness from the car and then the other end plugs into the bottom section of plugs. the a/c pigtail that should be included should also be labeled as such.

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, there should be a pigtail with a grey connector that plugs into the a/c harness from the car and then the other end plugs into the bottom section of plugs. the a/c pigtail that should be included should also be labeled as such.

Thank you! I certainly didn't receive a harness. I called/emailed Phoenix, so hopefully they get one shipped out soon. Not holding my breath considering the unit itself took a full month to get here. Oh well, I guess I'll throw the 8.4 back in for a bit.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They were very speedy with responses to me, most likely it took a month to get the unit because of the Chinese New Year weird that the harness got skipped.

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm really hoping you have some luck with this.
I was able to change my fan speed to the correct setting and I also found that dang setting to get my cluster to read the right units.
Also! I was a dumb-dumb and found my antenna connection was incorrect (was connected to my stock GPS line, same type of connection...) so I'm back up and running with the radio.
So really, I'm down to just the Mic. If we can get that figured out, I'd be 95% happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Any chance you remember what that setting was to get the cluster to read the right units?

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NM, I found the setting to get the cluster correct. If anyone else runs into this, you have to go to console and change the "unit" setting there. It actually needs to be the opposite of what you want. So to see "standard" units in my cluster, I had to set it to "metric" in the console.

Last edited:

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Happy to say the Paypal claim was closed as of yesterday and the refund is in my account as of today. I am finished dealing with Espony-Cargo.com. If you guys are interested in buying these units check out https://phoenixandroidradios.com/ they have a discount code on their site as well as on their facebook page, their 2GB/64GB is real and verifiable via 3rd party apps. The have a US based (cali based) tech support number and they actually are willing to help!

I received a unit from them last week, got it setup and installed. Still running through with them on the Temp display issue, they are a bit stumped but have a few things for me to try which I still need to complete. They are also sending me a different harness to try after some weird audio issues (was only getting audio through my front speakers) I did seem to fix the issue but they insisted on mailing a different harness to try, GOOD JOB!

Going to be installing the update today but I believe that will only add to the theme options but maybe I'll be surprised, again the temperature issue seems to be unique to my truck. All other functions are working 100% and it is advertised correctly.

Did you have to send the radio back?

25002nv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well I got mine installed. Very happy with it but its not turing on the camera when I put it in reverse. I can manually do it but thats it. Any ideas?

20180314_175329.jpg

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, I'm pretty happy with this unit to this point. The one last thing that I can't figure out is the "amp switch" setting. With it turned off the radio sounds horrible. With it on the radio sounds better than stock. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to make the setting save. I have to go in and change it back every time I start the truck. Has anyone else found a way around this?