Anybody ever check their upper intake bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Tidfan Funny just the other day I was standing outside my truck with motor running having a puffer,and I noticed my engine idle surging a little up and down. Said to self that never happened before. Thanks for the tip gotta check them bolts now

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Deleted
Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
tidefan1967

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely helped smooth out the idle on my Challenger(32K miles) but didn't have any effect on my RAM at all (30K miles)so I wouldn't expect miracles but I was totally amazed at how loose some of the bolts were. I did run a supersized bottle of the Gumout Regane complete fuel system cleaner through first but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, guess I should have just waited on the SI-1 because I know it works.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not too mechanically inclined. Is there a video or picture showing where these bolts are located?

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info! Will check mine this weekend.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you think FCA is concerned about this common problem ,seems everyone so far has checked it ,turned out the bolts are loose.To me I think it should be a recall to check it out ,or a safety check by dealer when going for oil change.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question, who had loose bolts on here that hasn't had their intake off? Mine has been off before so I'm blaming the dealer tech. Just curious if these are loosening up when they're factory installed...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure this makes sense to me, unless a new manifold automatically comes with new bolts:

"NOTE:
If reinstalling the original manifold apply Mopar(R) Lock & Seal Adhesive to the intake manifold bolts. Not required when installing a new manifold."

Factory torque spec is 9 ft lbs. And there is an order:

upload_2020-2-6_13-11-16.png

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question, who had loose bolts on here that hasn't had their intake off? Mine has been off before so I'm blaming the dealer tech. Just curious if these are loosening up when they're factory installed...
My intake has never been off. 2014 with 51,000 miles. I found them loose after an oil change at about 20 or 22,000 miles. Saw a little oil staining from the passenger side valve cover. All the bolts on both covers were loose. So I tightened them up and for ***** and giggles I checked the intake......all loose.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure this makes sense to me, unless a new manifold automatically comes with new bolts:

"NOTE:
If reinstalling the original manifold apply Mopar(R) Lock & Seal Adhesive to the intake manifold bolts. Not required when installing a new manifold."

View attachment 194419
Hey....same picture I use.....[emoji106]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For ***** and giggles I figured i'd check both the wifes 2016 Challenger and my truck,looks like i'm one of the lucky ones,neither had any loose.Didn't expect the truck to have any loose as the intake was off last spring and at that time I replaced the seals,but the car had me curious,but it's good.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Drove my truck for the first time since I tightened the bolts, it idles noticeably smoother now. Other than that it drives the same and the MAP values are the same as before so if it was causing a vacuum leak it must have been small and only affecting idle.

Definitely will be checking these periodically from now on.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

"NOTE:

View attachment 194419
New manifold comes with new bolts with Loctite already on them

Marczing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoormen
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Apparently the composite upper intake on the 5.7/6.4 Hemi's has a problem with the intake bolts loosening up over time. After noticing that the idle on my newly acquired 2016 Challenger is not as smooth as that of my 2017 RAM I started wondering about what the difference could be. I checked the intake manifold bolts on the Challenger and they were no tighter than 40 in/lbs tops against a 105 in/lb spec. It did improve the idle somewhat by the way. I decided to check the truck yesterday just for the hell of it and they were even looser than those on the Challenger. Anyway i was just curious if anyone else had ever read anything else about this or had a similar issue.

I just did this the other day. I had to re torque all of them.