Anyone done mods to the 3.0 EcoDiesel yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonesy08054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Turbo Diesel
I have a 2014 Limited EcoDiesel. Has about 2,000 miles on it. Love the truck. I'm getting around 24 mpg in mixed driving. Have seen 29 mpg, and 650 miles on one tank on a 55-65mph backroads trip.

Has anyone started modding this engine yet? Bigger turbo? Chip? I did a search, but it seems like the only thing out there is for the big brother Cummings diesel engines. I love this engine, but was wondering how much better it could be.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You're most likely going to have to wait a few years before you can start doing any real tuning to these as it's a completely new engine, new programming, and Chrysler doesn't work with the aftermarket like Ford and GM so they have to start from scratch. You can't do any changes to the engine until you can tune it properly, even with it being 'simpler' since it's a diesel.

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
There are intakes and exhaust available but no programmers yet...

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
There are several piggyback style tuners available like blue spark.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned above some tuners are available. People are just starting to work on these engines so some items may be here in the near future.

Banks engineering has worked extensively with this engine in modifying it. I ripped this video from the Ram 1500 Diesel forum.

Gale Banks With Two Diesel Engines on CarCast - YouTube

Big things are coming.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This engine is only new to the US. It has been running in Europe for years. Granted they have stricter emissions standards than us, but I find it hard to believe that there's nothing in the pipeline within, say, the next 6-8 months.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This engine is only new to the US. It has been running in Europe for years. Granted they have stricter emissions standards than us, but I find it hard to believe that there's nothing in the pipeline within, say, the next 6-8 months.

I would not say they have stricter emissions standards. One of the big things we struggle with here is getting the levels low enough on a diesel to pass here vs there. See this document which is now getting dated but still shows what I mean. Diesels are everywhere over there because even without urea they can often be below the standard.

http://www.seas.columbia.edu/earth/wtert/sofos/nawtec/nawtec05/nawtec05-48.pdf

$miley

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
its a matter of time... These will be awesome with basic bolt ons, and tuner.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was all about the EcoD, the thought of modifying one made me go a little bit crazy.
I'm going to hold off on an EcoD until they can get away from DEF though.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was all about the EcoD, the thought of modifying one made me go a little bit crazy.
I'm going to hold off on an EcoD until they can get away from DEF though.

That sure would be nice not a fan of DEF.

$miley

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6

2014Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is great. They keep this up and goodbye to my Hemi!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

The block has been used in Euro spec engines for quite some time but the top end is all new and unproven. The first engines were having rocker arms coming loose and requiring completely new engines. It was rare but they are still working some bugs out.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
GDE, and PPEI seem to be the top ACTUAL tuners on the market currently for the ED. There are a few piggy back fuel pressure boosters on the market. There are deleted ED's on the street now running tuning from PPEI. The guys with deletes are reporting good numbers so far and the ED actually sound pretty good deleted !

I really want one of these ED's, but I am seeing to many problems so far. I am not a mechanic or engineer, but these trucks need better oil coolers and are in serious need for an catch can system.

Last edited:

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
...these trucks need better oil coolers and are in serious need for an catch can system.

I can see the catch can need. On my Jetta TDI, oil from the PCV and half-burnt diesel from the EGR combined to make a nice hardened sludge in the intakes. Part of it has to do the with geometry of those particular engines (late 90s, early 2000s), but regardless, it was very easy to end up with intake runners reduced to the effective size of a dime due to that build-up. More than one turbo has been blown due to the extra stress from trying to push air through that. Again, that's a TDI_specific problem. Not saying the EDs would do that.

I'd hate to think what would happen to an EcoDiesel with even a fraction of that problem. Catch can it is, then.

I didn't know the oil cooler was inadequate. How bad is it? Do you know of any specific aftermarket ones that fit nicely and will do the job?

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There are enough ED owners reporting Oil getting into there coolant tanks, and from what I am reading it is because their oil coolers are failing. ED owners are having to get their brand new trucks towed into dealerships... I have been reading this info from the EcoDiesel Performance Facebook page, and ram1500diesel.com

I really want one of these trucks, but I am seeing a lot of these dirty coolant reports, and the SCR's failing. Plus I do not drive long enough distances to effectively use the ecodiesel. I would be in passive regen constantly.

I am looking forward to read reports from ED owners that have deleted their trucks after a few thousand miles.

Last edited:

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
There are enough ED owners reporting Oil getting into there coolant tanks, and from what I am reading it is because their oil coolers are failing.
That's unfortunate. I wonder if those are the earliest ones to come off the line. Are they mostly '14s, or are a lot of '15s included in that? I'll look around and see what I can find, but do you have any threads in particular (here or elsewhere) that you could point me to?

Also, do they use different oil coolers than the Pentastars and Hemis? I'd think they would try to use a common part. I'll have to do more research there too.

I really want one of these trucks, but I am seeing a lot of these dirty coolant reports, and the SCR's failing. Plus I do not drive long enough distances to effectively use the ecodiesel. I would be in passive regen constantly.
That's a fair enough concern. I'll be driving a lot of short stuff in the short term, but my commute is going to lengthen to ~50 miles sometime not too far in the future. Virtually all freeway, too, so that should do wonders for my mileage. :) Hopefully I'll have mine soon.

I am looking forward to read reports from ED owners that have deleted their trucks after a few thousand miles.
Me too. Are there any here? Calling all DPF-less EcoDiesel owners!