Anyone HAPPY with Borg Warner 44-44 / Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can get it to connect to the ECU probably. When I try to connect mine it tells me it is a unknown ISO so I'm waiting for a update.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
What year is your truck?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

K. I know the 2018+ have a different ECU that could be a problem but 2014 shouldnt be.

I reached out to these guys: https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

To see exactly what is supported for the DS series trucks. Im looking for the knock retard data for sure, the other stuff is nice to have but not necessary.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
K. I know the 2018+ have a different ECU that could be a problem but 2014 shouldnt be.

To see exactly what is supported for the DS series trucks. Im looking for the knock retard data for sure, the other stuff is nice to have but not necessary.

If this software does what it says it will for $50 then that is a great deal! Just curious if it leaves a watermark when you go to dealer?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If this software does what it says it will for $50 then that is a great deal! Just curious if it leaves a watermark when you go to dealer?
They shouldn't be able to see anything because it isn't going to re-write like a tuner does.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was able to use the software and connect to my 2017. There arent as many programmable things as the Jeeps, it seems...I didnt see anything for TPMS, tire size, etc.

But the diagnostic data available is pretty extensive. I was able to view Short Term Knock Retard data while my truck was making its ticking noise and it stayed at 0, so Im thinking its a rattling of some sort and NOT an engine ping.

I was also able to watch Torque Converter Slip Amount, which is interesting because it showed 95 rpm of slip for the famed "first 1 to 2 shift of the day", but only 15 rpm for every other shift.

Looking forward to really getting into more data at some point, there are a ton of values to look at that might be useful.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

50 bucks is for the software, how much for the hardware as in the cable to interface computer to car?

Bulldog4xFour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Curious - if the work is going to be done to swap the 44-44 to a 44-45, are there better options than the 45 that can be dropped in? I'm thinking the electronics are the biggest hurdle.

Rockland's part time kit for the 44 sounds like it would be the way to go, if the electronics half of the problem could be figured out. It sounds like swapping in a 45, and the kit are having the same issue. So if our trucks with the 44 t-case could be reprogrammed to having a 45 maybe rockland's kit would work.

Has there been any updates on reprogramming for the 45?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rockland's part time kit for the 44 sounds like it would be the way to go, if the electronics half of the problem could be figured out. It sounds like swapping in a 45, and the kit are having the same issue. So if our trucks with the 44 t-case could be reprogrammed to having a 45 maybe rockland's kit would work.

Has there been any updates on reprogramming for the 45?

There is an app that seems to be working quite well for reprogramming settings (check the AlfaODB thread in the forum)

One of the settings is something about transfer case type....it would be incredible if all that is required is to get Rocklands kit and change the setting with AlfaODB. Im not 100% sure what the choices are, but I thought someone mentioned full-time and part-time.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I contacted RSG and they responded, Hope to talk with them tomorrow :favorites37:

Awesome! Keep us posted.

BTW, I had done some reading about these electromagnetic/clutch controlled 4WD systems and quite a few articles emphasize the need for all tires to be within a certain diameter of each other.

I wonder if thats just another variable that makes some work better than others. We have two hits against us IMHO: the stock tires are not known for their quality and the fact that the fronts will always get hotter than the rears (because more weight), which I wonder if that throws off the diameter enough to be an issue.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! Keep us posted.

BTW, I had done some reading about these electromagnetic/clutch controlled 4WD systems and quite a few articles emphasize the need for all tires to be within a certain diameter of each other.

I wonder if thats just another variable that makes some work better than others. We have two hits against us IMHO: the stock tires are not known for their quality and the fact that the fronts will always get hotter than the rears (because more weight), which I wonder if that throws off the diameter enough to be an issue.

Who knows, just one more uncertainty I’d like to eliminate. I really hope AlphaOBD is the missing link to making this work.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! Keep us posted.

I think the variation in clutch pack preload due to production tolerances (or even running changes) would have a much more significant effect in the 44 style case.

I think slightly larger tires on the front may kick the clutches in earlier and firmer, once there is front wheels spin or when driving down the road (always some difference in front/rear axle rotation). Or maybe its larger on the rear, dunno. But that doesn't help much starting out from a stop where you don't want to spin the tires at all.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Awesome! Keep us posted.

That goes for an LSD also. Even with open diffs it will still work the diff harder with uneven size tires. You shouldn't just replace 1 tire if the other 3 are half through their life. Basically any system with a clutch style diff or tansfer case is sensitive to this.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a used 44-45 to replace the 44-44 in my truck. I also have the AlfaOBD software. Once I get it in I will experiment with changing the transfer case type in the bcm and see what happens.
Oh man if that works with Alfa please post the results here and over on the Alfaobd thread. That would be a game changer of we could swap this out for a 44-45...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck with it!

I still think the easiest way will be to pull the encoder off and mark where it ends up in each setting with the truck setup as stock. Then change the Alfa settings to part-time transfer case, then note the encoder positions again. If they change, then Alfa might be able to fix that one remaining issue with the RS kit.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck with it!

I still think the easiest way will be to pull the encoder off and mark where it ends up in each setting with the truck setup as stock. Then change the Alfa settings to part-time transfer case, then note the encoder positions again. If they change, then Alfa might be able to fix that one remaining issue with the RS kit.
No doubt that would be a good idea. My BW44-44 is toast so even if the ALFAOBD software doesn’t help I will just run the 44-45 as is. I don’t really care if it never disconnects at the transfer case side in 2wd.