Anyone install running boards on there 5th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tried installing a set and all the studs on the rocker panel have so much paint on them you can barely make out the threads tried running a die on them but didn’t work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
I used a dremel with wire brush attachment. Yes it took a while for each bolt but well worth it. I cross threaded the first nut by not completely removing all the paint. Luckily I could fix the thread on the nuts.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Also brushed on flex seal on the exposed bolts after the install.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I just ran a die over them. for me the odd thing is the tiny 4 bolts that hold the running board onto the mounting brackets and on the wheel to wheel factory ones that I bought there are only two mounting brackets on each side even though there are three sets of mounting studs on each side..be nice to have that center bracket on each side for such a long set of boards.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also brushed on flex seal on the exposed bolts after the install.

I just ran a die over them. for me the odd thing is the tiny 4 bolts that hold the running board onto the mounting brackets and on the wheel to wheel factory ones that I bought there are only two mounting brackets on each side even though there are three sets of mounting studs on each side..be nice to have that center bracket on each side for such a long set of boards.

What exactly are you guys using to remove the paint off the bolts?

RAMlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I broke 2 of the bolts. =/ Does anyone know if its replaceable?

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I broke 2 of the bolts. =/ Does anyone know if its replaceable?

How did that happen?
I’m asking because I’m about to install my steps this weekend

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Did it come off easy?
Yes but takes some patience to get through all that paint. Can't stress enough how important it is to remove all the overspray. It can easily cross thread the nut.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
How did that happen?
I can see it happening if you use an impact wrench and try to power through the overspray. Or overtorque it.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
How did that happen?

you need to clean the threads with a die or wire brush or something. If you wail on them and break one the repair might be to grind the rest off and drill and tap thru the remaining head that is spot welded on. there is only room for a short bolt too..could be done tho.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you need to clean the threads with a die or wire brush or something. If you wail on them and break one the repair might be to grind the rest off and drill and tap thru the remaining head that is spot welded on. there is only room for a short bolt too..could be done tho.

What die did you use? Is it the same as a paint stripper?

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L

I would recommend using a dremel (rotary tool) and the wire brush wheel. This is also the method recommended by Mopar. Paint stripper will take several applications because of the layers of overspray on the bolts so the amount of time you would have to apply and wait for each bolt, it would be about the same to use a rotary tool. If you are completely comfortable using a die, then that is an option. Done incorrectly, it could make things worse for you because the overspray is from the tip of the bolt, not just on the threads. So if you don't get the right starting point of the threads, you may end up creating new threads in the paint layers instead of just removing the paint.

Last edited:

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would recommend using a dremel (rotary tool) and the wire brush wheel. This is also the method recommended by Mopar. Paint stripper will take several applications because of the layers of overspray on the bolts so the amount of time you would have to apply and wait for each bolt, it would be about the same to use a rotary tool. If you are completely comfortable using a die, then that is an option. Done incorrectly, it could make things worse for you because the overspray is from the tip of the bolt, not just on the threads. So if you don't get the right starting point of the threads, you may end up creating new threads in the paint layers instead of just removing the paint.

Thank you I have no experience in doing this but the Dremel/brush wheels seem more do able to me I plan on buying the stuff today and maybe starting it.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Thank you I have no experience in doing this but the Dremel/brush wheels seem more do able to me I plan on buying the stuff today and maybe starting it.

I would get a couple of the brush wheels because there are 18 bolts to clean. Also, as you clean the threads, test it out by hand threading the nut. It should go on easily like butter. If it doesn't then keep cleaning. The paint overspray is on really thick. Take your time and as you clean, keep the brush moving so you don't stay in one spot and potentially wear down the thread itself. It will be tedious, but well worth it in the end when you admire your new running boards.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get a couple of the brush wheels because there are 18 bolts to clean. Also, as you clean the threads, test it out by hand threading the nut. It should go on easily like butter. If it doesn't then keep cleaning. The paint overspray is on really thick. Take your time and as you clean, keep the brush moving so you don't stay in one spot and potentially wear down the thread itself. It will be tedious, but well worth it in the end when you admire your new running boards.

Thank you for the head up ill make sure to buy 2. And yes I’m already dreading the process but I agree with you it will be worth it

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
no. a die from a tap and die set..5/16 I think. it will put new threads on a plain rod or freshen up crappy threads..a whole set from HF is cheap and good to have. you just thread on and after a few turns you are good to go

tsully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did mine yesterday , wire brush it good, Then once started, muscle it on, mine came with nylon nuts so it was Tough going on, or you can use regular hex nuts and lockwashers to make it go onto easier