Anyone running the K&N intake on the 6.4 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Wow, $600 to get less power at usable RPM's seems ridiculous. Wish they'd find a way to get another 50 lb ft torque/30HP @ 2000-3000 RPM range where it's needed.

Agree 101%

Honestly, towing 7000lbs to slightly over with payload.....I have never wanted for more power.....more is always nice, but I don't find it lacking in any way.

At 2500rpms it is making good enough power to hold 65mph or more up decent grades in 4th I believe, when I drop to 3rd gear for the larger grades it sits at 3500rpm (fuzzy memory as I don't stare at the tach, just the road) and will hold mid 60s mph all day long on any grade I've been on.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I'm actually speechless that there is finally a CAI available!

I would REALLY prefer a Afe CAI but I may have to give this one some serious thought. I wish that they'd give an idea of availability on the website...and I love how 'retail' is almost 600 bucks :crazy:

Just to clarify, the "retail" is $544, but you can order it from K&N for $299.

I just don't want to mislead anyone.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
so. anyone actually tried it out yet?

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Patiently waiting to hear about this.

Sunny1881

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I ordered this from autoanything.com the beginning of Oct and with a promo code got it shipped to my door for $240. Was on backorder and I got it the middle of last week.

Its been on my truck for exactly a week now, installed last weekend and it certainly woke the motor up right away, the second I backed out of the driveway put it in Drive and stepped on it you could feel the better throttle response instantly. It really gets up and moves now. Install was easy, done in 1 hour, everything fit perfectly. Sounds great too, definetely can hear it and tell its sucking in more air as its got a little whistle now.

Feels to me more power across all gears, I towed 7k lbs today and had cruise on a few times at 65mph and certainly didnt notice a lack of power compared to before, feels stronger with more torque all the way around to me.

In the end, would I recommend it, yes sir I would. My 6.4L is alive now, seemed a little boring/sleepy before but not any more. Havent found any cons in the week Ive had it installed.

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Thanks for the review. Debating whether to get this or wait to see if any other manufacturers come out with one

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking a the dyno chart I see that HP and TQ are actually down from the stock configuration in the 2,000 - 2,300 rpm range, which happens to be right about where my truck sits when towing my 7,500 lb boat in tow/haul mode at 60-65 mph. Seems like it could actually be counterproductive in that case. ??

**edit. I looked again and see it now. I'm not sure if I'm going to put a lot of emphasis on that lower rpm result. Could be a lot of things going on there.

I believe the gains associated with this intake is less about high volume filter and box, but the smooth intake tube. I've hated the stock one since I laid eyes on it. This one will allow a smoother flow and higher velocity meaning more air in the cylinders.

I'd really, really like to see somebody take one of these beasts and start with one mod then dyno. Then the next and dyno...

Start with intake, then exhaust, then headers, and then tune. With a dyno after each mod. Maybe even a baseline 1/4 mile and 0-60 vs a finished product. Both empty AND loaded. I'd love to see a corrected flywheel hp close to 500 from bolt ons.

One of the mopar rags did this with the 383 and 440. They built one to stock specs and did a dyno to compare to mfr rating. Then kept changing things like carb, intake, headers and finally cam.

Stock. 357hp
carb 366hp
headers 391hp
intake. 420hp
--------------------------
Bolt ons. +63hp

Cam swap took it to 464.6hp. But the meaner cam hurt the low end. Not what I want for towing.

Last edited:

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
**edit. I looked again and see it now. I'm not sure if I'm going to put a lot of emphasis on that lower rpm result. Could be a lot of things going on there.

I believe the gains associated with this intake is less about high volume filter and box, but the smooth intake tube. I've hated the stock one since I laid eyes on it. This one will allow a smoother flow and higher velocity meaning more air in the cylinders.

I'd really, really like to see somebody take one of these beasts and start with one mod then dyno. Then the next and dyno...

Start with intake, then exhaust, then headers, and then tune. With a dyno after each mod. Maybe even a baseline 1/4 mile and 0-60 vs a finished product. Both empty AND loaded. I'd love to see a corrected flywheel hp close to 500 from bolt ons.

One of the mopar rags did this with the 383 and 440. They built one to stock specs and did a dyno to compare to mfr rating. Then kept changing things like carb, intake, headers and finally cam.

Stock. 357hp
carb 366hp
headers 391hp
intake. 420hp
--------------------------
Bolt ons. +63hp

Cam swap took it to 464.6hp. But the meaner cam hurt the low end. Not what I want for towing.

I put in an AEM dry filter last week, and have been thinking about trying to rig a smooth intake tube in there ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I ordered this from autoanything.com the beginning of Oct and with a promo code got it shipped to my door for $240. Was on backorder and I got it the middle of last week.

Its been on my truck for exactly a week now, installed last weekend and it certainly woke the motor up right away, the second I backed out of the driveway put it in Drive and stepped on it you could feel the better throttle response instantly. It really gets up and moves now. Install was easy, done in 1 hour, everything fit perfectly. Sounds great too, definetely can hear it and tell its sucking in more air as its got a little whistle now.

Feels to me more power across all gears, I towed 7k lbs today and had cruise on a few times at 65mph and certainly didnt notice a lack of power compared to before, feels stronger with more torque all the way around to me.

In the end, would I recommend it, yes sir I would. My 6.4L is alive now, seemed a little boring/sleepy before but not any more. Havent found any cons in the week Ive had it installed.

Be careful you don't confuse more sound with more power...it's easy to do. A more agressive sounding intake/exhaust can easily trick your brain into feeling better performance. It takes a significant increase in hp/tq in a 7,000+ lbs truck to convert to legitimate seat-of-the-pants increases in performance. The Dyno chart dosen't lie.

Sunny1881

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Be careful you don't confuse more sound with more power...it's easy to do. A more agressive sounding intake/exhaust can easily trick your brain into feeling better performance. It takes a significant increase in hp/tq in a 7,000+ lbs truck to convert to legitimate seat-of-the-pants increases in performance. The Dyno chart dosen't lie.

Oh no, Im not mistaking anything, the throttle response in the pedal you notice right away! Passing on the freeway is much stronger at higher speed and rpm's as well. Overall you can feel it across the board.

This is the 3rd cai I have installed in different vehicles and 2 of them made a great difference, this one included and 1 did not, I am satisfied with my purchase.

K&N dyno testing states 15hp increase and 24 ft/lbs torque increase thats pretty good imo. A lot of cai are lower than both those numbers.

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not trying to be argumentative, but as I recall the K&N dyno chart only showed 15 hp at something like 5500 rpm. I suppose if you drive around at 5500 rpm you might notice a slight increase in power, but even if you do get 15 hp, that's pretty much impossible to detect by the seat of your pants in a 7000 lb truck. I would not argue that at mid level rpm you may increase some throttle response, but the whole idea of increasing and smoothing out the air flow really doesn't come into play until you get into higher rpm, so anything under probably 2500 rpm will gain little benefit. Just my opinion though.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
with a full exhaust, and tune yes.. but if u are enjoying having those mods.. " Hemi foot" then no lol

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My question is can I get a couple of MPG more out of my baby with this intake... Lol.
So far I have a k&n filter and a hemifever tune and I am right at 12.5 average with 35's. Neither the tune nor the filter netted me any increase in mpg's. I would suspect the intake will be in the same boat. Spend $300 for an intake, $330 for a mufflex, and $490 for a tuner and custom tune and you will be lucky to gain 1 mile per gallon.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
If your in an area with a lot of hills and pulling above 3000 rpm, I can perhaps see how this intake may help. In my experience pulling our trailers around, this 6.4 does most of its work in 4th and 5th, below 2800 rpm when cruising down the road. I really see no substantial benefit as my cruising torque would be lower or the same as stock. Hill sections when I'm above 3000 rpm are a very small % of overall drive time. And at peak torque there would be hardly any change. I am still interested if a custom tune would net me a little more mpg while towing. LoverRacing & 6.4Dude have both commented now that no mpg is gained during unloaded driving with a tune, but the added driveability and towing mpg gain (if any) might be enough to push me over the edge.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Silly question.

Sorry I have a silly question and not trying to high jack the thread but when I'm towing something at what weight should I turn on the tow mode? Bought my 6.4 ram last Monday with 12,000 miles on it and loving it. Coming from a 2wd 1500 to this 4x4 monster has made me a happy camper.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Sorry I have a silly question and not trying to high jack the thread but when I'm towing something at what weight should I turn on the tow mode? Bought my 6.4 ram last Monday with 12,000 miles on it and loving it. Coming from a 2wd 1500 to this 4x4 monster has made me a happy camper.
I only use it hauling our travel trailer. Only other thing I've hauled is a car and a couple mowers and it pulled great without it on.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
So has anyone else tested this intake yet? Thinking of pulling the trigger tonight. Tax returns on the way.