Anyone with rear coil upgrade experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My 1211s were not taller than stock matter fact I think they might be shorter.
stock on the right 1211s on the left.

20170412_164356.jpg

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Respectfully, the unloaded measurements of springs aren't necessarily the same as the loaded measurements. You put 2000 lbs of body weight on those springs, they will likely sit taller than OEM's because the rate of compression strength should be higher.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Tis true, truck set the same after install, sure adding weight would have shown the stiffer spring to maintain its height better.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Just installed 1223 coils and they replaced a set of 1211's. The coils are even thicker than the 1211 and they are longer than stock coils by JUST a bit. Raised the ass end 2 inches over the 1211's with a stiffer and more planted ride

If anyone wants to buy my 1211's let me know. They are only a couple weeks old. I would've kept them but I needed the height of the 1223's.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
and 1223v give a better ride because they are variable rate. I have a set on my ram

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed 1223 coils and they replaced a set of 1211's. The coils are even thicker than the 1211 and they are longer than stock coils by JUST a bit. Raised the ass end 2 inches over the 1211's with a stiffer and more planted ride

If anyone wants to buy my 1211's let me know. They are only a couple weeks old. I would've kept them but I needed the height of the 1223's.

How much for the 1211s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meridius85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6

If you still have the 1211’s could you please pm me with details. Tia

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A lot of folks that pull a trailer bag the rear coils to keep their headlights from signaling aircraft.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CLOUDL1GHT, you sound like you could be a wealth of knowledge! I would love to hear about your experiences and specific data points related to your spring upgrades and air bags. For instance, I upgraded to 1223v and added a 1" spacer at the same time to offset the shorter springs. They ride very well but are not stiff enough when I load and tow my travel trailer. Also, the left side sits almost a half inch lower than the right. I'm assuming that's because of the gas tank weight. The OEM springs were perfectly level. How did the 1211s compare to stock ride height? How about the 1223s? Do yours sit level? Why did you choose to upgrade springs after installing air bags? I hope I'm not overloading you with questions! I'm very interested in your answers.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
CLOUDL1GHT, you sound like you could be a wealth of knowledge! I would love to hear about your experiences and specific data points related to your spring upgrades and air bags. For instance, I upgraded to 1223v and added a 1" spacer at the same time to offset the shorter springs. They ride very well but are not stiff enough when I load and tow my travel trailer. Also, the left side sits almost a half inch lower than the right. I'm assuming that's because of the gas tank weight. The OEM springs were perfectly level. How did the 1211s compare to stock ride height? How about the 1223s? Do yours sit level? Why did you choose to upgrade springs after installing air bags? I hope I'm not overloading you with questions! I'm very interested in your answers.

I'm just going to talk through each setup I've had so people can see what's what in my experience.

1st was stock springs and rancho shocks. Those were OK because they had 9 different stiffness levels. I got rid of those because it would sit on the bump stops with any weight and the adjusters froze up and since the knobs were plastic I chewed them up pretty good trying to twist them with pliers. Rancho stuff sucks.

2nd was stock springs, Bilstein shocks, and timbrens. This was a good setup for towing the 16ft trailer with three atv's and the truck sat pretty level. The issue with this setup was when the truck is unloaded, you could feel it hit the timbrens all the time.

3rd was the stock springs, same Bilstein shocks, and the Timber Grove ASAM kit. The timber grove kit was great because I could adjust the height to exactly where I want it. The only issue is you have to keep at least 10 psi in them and they made the ride more stiff and weird over rolling bumps. Since it replaces the bump stops, you would think they would put a jounce stop inside the bags right? Wrong. Over big bumps it was very harsh and you could hear metal-on-metal hitting in the rear.

4th was 1211 coils, same shocks, and back to stock bump stops. Ride was great, they held weight great, and mine sat level. There was no driver's side lean. They sat at stock height which is great but since I have Bilsteins at 2.8 in the front, the rear sat just slightly lower than the front. This wasn't a problem before because the ASAM kit kept the rear a little higher.

5th, and what I'm going to be sticking with, is the 1223 coils and stock bump stops. Rear sits a good 2 - 3 inches higher than stock so I have some rake still and I still don't have that driver's side lean. Stiffened up the ride in a good way and with the 16ft trailer filled with well over a ton of old drilling pipe, it still sat with the rear higher than the front by an inch. Very happy finally after going through way too many setups and too much money :rolleyes:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I am running 1211s with bils and Timbergrove air bags, I cant say I have ever heard or felt metal to metal or bagging going over big bumps although I normally run 20psi in them atleast.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I am running 1211s with bils and Timbergrove air bags, I cant say I have ever heard or felt metal to metal or bagging going over big bumps although I normally run 20psi in them atleast.

I tried that and it mostly went away with 20 psi+. I also live in a city with roads straight out of hell they're so bumpy.