Are dealer oil changes required for warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Sorry if dumb question but in 40 years driving, first time I've owned a new vehicle under warranty...
First oil change coming due (I'm a 5K mile believer) on 2023 w/5.7 hemi.
Is it ok to take it to my regular mechanic for oil changes, or while under warranty do I have to take it to a Ram dealer? Any SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic, or if I don't use Mopar brand oil will that void warranty?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Oil change can be done anywhere, including done yourself, keep a record and receipts. My dealer is actually cheaper than the quick Lube places, by quite a bit, for full synthetic changes. Use the approved weight, Mopar, Mobil 1 and Penzoil Ultra are all approved oils, plus quite a few more.

OP
OP
R

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Aha, I see the manual say "The manufacturer only recommends API trademark oils."
Thanks for the tip about dealer cost, I just assumed it would be more expensive but I'll call around and find out.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aha, I see the manual say "The manufacturer only recommends API trademark oils."
Thanks for the tip about dealer cost, I just assumed it would be more expensive but I'll call around and find out.
Also its cheaper to buy the oil change/tire rotation packages from mopar. Last time I bought 8 for around $400

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, just has to have the API donut on the back label. Mobil 1 oil says on the front, "European Car Formula" but don't let that throw you off. It has the API donut, and they're all about the same price.

Attachments

• 1700593255559.jpeg
    1700593255559.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-11-21 130419.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 130419.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
R

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yep, just has to have the API donut on the back label. Mobil 1 oil says on the front, "European Car Formula" but don't let that throw you off. It has the API donut, and they're all about the same price.
Called the mechanic we've been using for decades, service guy said for full synthetic they use something sounded like "dexos"(?) from Mobil 1, he said pretty sure it had the API cert but would have to check when I came in. Was kind of noisy in the background couldn't hear him well, it's a little confusing when I google dexos it seems like some kind of GM standard or is it an additive?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Called the mechanic we've been using for decades, service guy said for full synthetic they use something sounded like "dexos"(?) from Mobil 1, he said pretty sure it had the API cert but would have to check when I came in. Was kind of noisy in the background couldn't hear him well, it's a little confusing when I google dexos it seems like some kind of GM standard or is it an additive?
Did he perhaps say Delvac. That is the synthetic Diesel engine oil by Esso that is made under the Mobil brand name. It gets used in lots of gas vehicles too.

OP
OP
R

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Did he perhaps say Delvac. That is the synthetic Diesel engine oil by Esso that is made under the Mobil brand name. It gets used in lots of gas vehicles too.
Didn't sound like that. We have to bring in our other vehicle (2003 matrix with 250K miles, lol) for oil this week too so I'll ask in person and see if they can show me bottles or labels.
They seemed to understand the issue and my concerns, said they keep electronic records as they've had this come up before (mostly Kias...) where they've had to prove to manufacturer for customer that appropriate and timely oil was done when they resisted warranty claim.
Called a couple local dealers, nobody in service answering phone or returning my messages so far, not a great way to start a relationship....

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
"Dexos" is not familiar to me. I did a quick 'dexos' search and found a 0w-40 Mobil 1 ESP oil, then found a picture of a bottle on a Napa Auto website that showed the back of the bottle - no API symbol. That's all I have for you on that.

As @Dean2 said above, there are a number of oils out there that meet the standards set forth in my manual. Some folks are convinced only Pennzoil Ultra Platinum will do, but as for me I read the manual as saying any 0w-40 oil that meets API certification or MS-A0921 (formerly MS-12633) is acceptable.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Sorry if dumb question but in 40 years driving, first time I've owned a new vehicle under warranty...
First oil change coming due (I'm a 5K mile believer) on 2023 w/5.7 hemi.
Is it ok to take it to my regular mechanic for oil changes, or while under warranty do I have to take it to a Ram dealer? Any SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic, or if I don't use Mopar brand oil will that void warranty?
There is a difference in what type of warranty you get

Is it a verbal contract…
Or is it a paper contract ?

Did the closer tell you they’ll give You a bumper to bumper warranty but only if you use their service department..?

Did you purchase an extended warranty contract ?

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
DEXOS is a standard GM tested and certified oil it can be either synthetic or synthetic blend .

IMG_0188.jpeg

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Not required.

Around here, the dealers often run specials or mail out coupons for oil changes cheaper than some independent shops. Especially if you’ve been there and they have you on their mailing list. It doesn’t hurt to have an established relationship with them if it comes to needing warranty work later.

Personally I do my own.

I never use a quick lube franchise.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Most dealer service departments are not very trustworthy, do not just take their word on any matter . They will tell you what they think you want to hear. Verify through other sources when they give any recommendations. Read and reference your owners manual for service purposes. Sounds like you already have a good mechanic,so you are ahead with that.

OP
OP
R

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Most dealer service departments are not very trustworthy, do not just take their word on any matter . They will tell you what they think you want to hear. Verify through other sources when they give any recommendations. Read and reference your owners manual for service purposes. Sounds like you already have a good mechanic,so you are ahead with that.
Yes, here in South Florida general consensus is to avoid dealerships for anything but expensive OEM warranty work.

OP
OP
R

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
There is a difference in what type of warranty you get

Is it a verbal contract…
Or is it a paper contract ?

Did the closer tell you they’ll give You a bumper to bumper warranty but only if you use their service department..?

Did you purchase an extended warranty contract ?
Just the original OEM warranty is what I was referring to. I haven't decided yet if I'll get an extended.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
FYI when the service dept. does quick oil changes they can use bulk oil of the brand of there choice, as for warranty work they have to use what ever brand FCA tells them to use and currently its Pennzoil...

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, but your likelyhood of getting a warranty repair are better if you do let them change the oil if you have an extended warranty or any kind. I have been taking mine to the dealer where I bought the truck now for 3 years+.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Talk to the dealer you bought the truck from, in person. Re cost, and ext werrenty.
Up till this last truck, I always did my own oil changes, and some where on new ones
I use to keep a book in the shop for all the stuff I owned small motors to tractors, now I have it on the computer.
I use the dealer now as I am in town now and don’t want to mess with it anymore for the truck and car

Last edited:

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Mobile1 is not approved for the Ram Hemi. I wish it were as it is a much better oil than the Pennzoil. I know you think otherwise but Chrysler denied warranty repair on my buddies 2020 Ram Hemi when it started the tick.