Are my lifters/cam done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Since the turn of the century or even a little before, the climate change arm of the gov't have been taking protection out of engine oils, just a fact. In the name of resource conserving and fuel mileage they actually tell oil blenders the amounts of protecting additives they can add to your oil. Now, in most vehicles this isnt an issue, but we know hemi's are the exception. To make that even worse for your engine's moving parts they now have a viscosity component in their oil specs, so oils are being built thinner in the range of weights then ever before. So bottom line look up the lubrication strategies, see this page and someone I know you will appreciate wrote a letter about the situation. I appreciate that guy and the ram forum member that found that for us, but I think he wasnt 100% correct but on the right track. He was talking about aw additives, mostly because he is old school and I'm sure he lived through flat tappet era, and that was the correct answer back then. But our situation creates high pressures, so EP additives might be the better way to go, or better yet both aw/ep additives that already are in your oil just at a low level thanks to the gov't goals.

When you get your new cam, consider employing a strategy that "might" help avoid this early demise of moving metal parts in your engine. It doesnt have to cost more, that would be a choice, but you can even just opt for some 0w40's that would substantially improve protection but not cost redline money. Lubegard biotech to anything you chose is also a move to put some protection on the metal. Until they ban it, it is the perfect non snake oil additive, it just puts more of the good stuff they took out.

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I do plan on changing the oil I tycialy go with, which was the pennziol ow-4. Unfortunately Ive only had the truck for less then a year and just went with the factory recommendations.

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Well... I'm glad I went ahead and tore down. Found one lifter that was completely done and two others on the way out. Cam is toast as well.

Attachments

• 20231012_155445.JPG
    20231012_155445.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231012_155458.JPG
    20231012_155458.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231017_200623.JPG
    20231017_200623.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231017_200630.JPG
    20231017_200630.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Well It seems like I just cant win. I ended up replacing the timing chain and crank shaft gear along with the guides. Replaced the oil pump with melling HV. Replaced the camshaft with OEM and lubed it when I installed it. Lubed the lifters and put the engine to together. Rotated the engine a few times to make sure everything felt good. No tough spots or anything. Engine felt smooth. Got everything back together and its first start time. Removed the fuel pump fuse so I could crank and prime the engine. Everything seems fine, cranking has a slight gallop to it but oil pressure comes up. Dont think about it and replace the fuse. Engine starts with out a hitch and sounds good no ticking. Let it run for awhile to get up to temp. A few minutes in I start to hear ticking again and its worse. Seems like its coming from both sides now. Sounds like valve train noise and not rod knock. Give it some rpm noise seems better and oil pressure looks great. Idle down and noise is still there. Shut down the truck and pull codes. Got a misfire on 4.

Guess Im pulling the valve covers to see if anything looks off. Used some 5w-30 and STP for the first run before I change it. The only thing I can think of is that I may have gotten a bad set of lifters. I probably should have went with my first instinct and got another set. The set I used were ultra power from rockauto. Nothing seemed bad about them, I tend to over think things some times so I used them anyway. Going to do some poking around this afternoon probably remove the intake and valve cover for a start. May use a scope to look inside the cylinders. Wish me luck guys. I could really use it right now.

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Update. Truck is back to together and running smooth. Come to find out the cheap set of lifters were the issue, imagine that. Had alot of shipping issues with the OEM lifters being sent to me and loose in box thus causing damage, but its done. If anyone reads this just go with the OEM lifters. Its not worth the trouble for a cheaper set.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Update. Truck is back to together and running smooth. Come to find out the cheap set of lifters were the issue, imagine that. Had alot of shipping issues with the OEM lifters being sent to me and loose in box thus causing damage, but its done. If anyone reads this just go with the OEM lifters. Its not worth the trouble for a cheaper set.

Don't worry,you're not the first guy who's been bit in the a$$ using cheap lifters,Engine Tech and TSP lifters are also famous for giving issues.If at all possible always use OEM lifters,even if you have to wait a week or 2 to get them