armour all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I use it on my Tonneau cover. I've heard all the warnings and horror stories about how it will make anything you put it on turn to dust or spontaneously combust but I have used it for years and never had any issues. Its cheap and the cover uses a lot of product.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Most horrible stuff ever!!!!! If you ever need paint work and the painter even thinks that **** is on your vehicle, you will be on his / her **** list forever. One little puff or smear of Armour All can and will contaminate an entire body shop for a long, long time. It just sucks.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
If someone has a link to real, scientific data about AA please post it. Seems like there is serious hate, but based on old data maybe?

I understand that AA had a bad rap years ago when they had alcohol and dimethyl silicone oils (not water based) which was supposedly bad and rightfully gave it a bad name. Unfortunately, seems that still lives on in the minds of many people. AA has changed the recipe to a formula that doesn't have alcohol and uses a water based type that doesn't remove plasticizers from the material. I've done some googling and searching and I can't find anything out there (scientific) that states why it's bad other than what I stated before (not that there isn't something). What I found is that everybody has stories like "My upholsterer said" and "This guy I know said" and stuff like that, but the stories go both ways.... Sure folks have used it and their dash cracked, but who's to say it wouldn't have cracked even sooner had it not been used? Like one guy said, "Being a serial killer obviously comes from drinking milk as a kid, because when interviewed, it was found that 99.9% of all serial killers drank milk as a kid."

I personally don't like that AA is so shiny and collects dust so I don't use it on the interior. I generally just use a mild soap and water and maybe some Meguiars or straight mineral oil for that. I am intrigued with the Pledge thing and will look into that, also lots of good reviews for 303 so that'll be on the list too.

All that being said, I have some AA in the garage and do pull it out once in a while to **** out the tires. Sure there's probably better stuff, but until I read something besides people's opinions on why AA is so bad I don't plan on chit-canning it.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone has a link to real, scientific data about AA please post it. Seems like there is serious hate, but based on old data maybe?

I understand that AA had a bad rap years ago when they had alcohol and dimethyl silicone oils (not water based) which was supposedly bad and rightfully gave it a bad name. Unfortunately, seems that still lives on in the minds of many people. AA has changed the recipe to a formula that doesn't have alcohol and uses a water based type that doesn't remove plasticizers from the material. I've done some googling and searching and I can't find anything out there (scientific) that states why it's bad other than what I stated before (not that there isn't something). What I found is that everybody has stories like "My upholsterer said" and "This guy I know said" and stuff like that, but the stories go both ways.... Sure folks have used it and their dash cracked, but who's to say it wouldn't have cracked even sooner had it not been used? Like one guy said, "Being a serial killer obviously comes from drinking milk as a kid, because when interviewed, it was found that 99.9% of all serial killers drank milk as a kid."

I personally don't like that AA is so shiny and collects dust so I don't use it on the interior. I generally just use a mild soap and water and maybe some Meguiars or straight mineral oil for that. I am intrigued with the Pledge thing and will look into that, also lots of good reviews for 303 so that'll be on the list too.

All that being said, I have some AA in the garage and do pull it out once in a while to **** out the tires. Sure there's probably better stuff, but until I read something besides people's opinions on why AA is so bad I don't plan on chit-canning it.
The 303 is the bomb for sure. You put that stuff on your dash and its still there 3 months later but it is expensive. I don't see the hate for AA either. I've used the Ultra Shine a few times and it seemed to work fine to me. As far as a paint and body man goes if I wasn't planning on having my truck or whatever painted why would a give a damn what they think about AA........

OP
OP
sandawilliams

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I agree with you. When I finally use up all my old stuff I will look for newer products. I don't understand the comments about AA on paint as I only use it on interior surfaces.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Did a Google search for "What is Armor All made of?"

What is armor all made of?
According to patent documents, Armor All typically contains water, PDMS (silicone), diethylene glycol, glycerin, and various additional chemical compounds.

Silicone is good for gaskets and caulk and a few other things. Armor All is just the same old nasty slippery stuff it always was.

Last edited:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If you look at tire manufacturer's recommendations, you'd be hard pressed to find any recommendation against tire dressings of any kind. The only reference I saw was with Continental when speaking to the storage of tires. It stated not to use any kind of dressing. Michelin, Goodyear,, Bridgestone...none of them really address it.

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Did a Google search for "What is Armor All made of?"

What is armor all made of?
According to patent documents, Armor All typically contains water, PDMS (silicone), diethylene glycol, glycerin, and various additional chemical compounds.

Silicone is good for gaskets and caulk and a few other things. Armor All is just the same old nasty slippery stuff it always was.

I appears you're referencing the info from an old wiki page, and that info is from a 1996 document. AA changed their formula around 2005-ish I believe, so it's not what you posted anymore. And if it's the silicone that you think is the culprit, then you better chit-can that Pledge you're suggesting because it has silicone oils in it as well....

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I appears you're referencing the info from an old wiki page, and that info is from a 1996 document. AA changed their formula around 2005-ish I believe, so it's not what you posted anymore. And if it's the silicone that you think is the culprit, then you better chit-can that Pledge you're suggesting because it has silicone oils in it as well....

Where do you read this stuff? Go right here to their current product page, "what are the ingredients in Armor All ?"

http://www.armorall.com/expert-tips/faqs/interior-faqs

What are the inpedalgredients in Armor All® Protectants? Do they include silicone, alcohol, ultraviolet inhibitors and petroleum distillates?
Armor All protectant and leather care protectant products contain surfactants and water-based silicone emulsions. They do not contain alcohols or petroleum distillates. In addition, Armor All® Outlast® Interior Restorer Cream and Outlast® Leather Restorer contain UV inhibitors.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct in that Pledge has a derivative of silicone oil.

Just do yourself a favor and if you ride a motorcycle don't Armor All the seat or brake pedal.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do yourself a favor and if you ride a motorcycle don't Armor All the seat or brake pedal.[/QUOTE]

That's some great advice! I wouldn't recommend Armor all'ing those things on any vehicle whether 2 wheels or 18. I generally only used it on the door panels, kick panels and out of the way places. Nothing but the Aerospace 303 on the dash and other sun exposed areas for me though!

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Where do you read this stuff?

Same place you do bro. The interwebs.... I'm just interested in trying to find where the hate for AA is coming from, not trying to get anyone riled up and start a ****** match. You don't like the stuff and I respect that. I understand personal preference, just looking facts on why it's such a bad protectant.

All that said, I completely agree with you about not using that stuff on motorcycle seats. Used it on my wife's Banshee one time (and only one time) and it most definitely changed the riding dynamics.