Average cost to program a key fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stopped by the local dodge/Chrysler dealer today and asked them what they would charge to program my key fob. They said between 75.00 & 100.00. I don't have a working key fob, I don't know if that makes a difference or not but damn. I will keep using my key to unlock the door for that price.
Can any repair shop program them even of there is no working remote?

I think they are giving it to me for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
No I'm pretty sure you need a Starscan to do it. Thats dealer only for a factory fob.

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would that be only a Chrysler dealer or could a chevy or ford dealer do it? I'm really limited where i live. Only one of each. If I want to try another it's at least 70 miles.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Would that be only a Chrysler dealer or could a chevy or ford dealer do it? I'm really limited where i live. Only one of each. If I want to try another it's at least 70 miles.

You can get them programed at most locksmith shops.

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wondering if a good auto repair shop can do it.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is a dealer item only.

I was told that it would be $50 to program one.

There is a weak soldier joint that is on the left side of the round battery clip. If you have the ability to soldier, you might be able to fix a non working unit.

Once I got it to the dealer, the dealer said no worries as it took only 2 seconds for them to do it.

jei3us

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I love my keyless entry and if I lost mine id shell out the cash for a replacement. A couple months ago I misplaced my keys. Called up a locksmith guy was charging $80 to program a new fob but it wasn't gonna be an OEM fob. If the dealer says $75-100 that sounds about right. Programming key fobs doesn't come cheap.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Also,

Make sure to discard the key or keep for emergency entry to the vehicle only key as if you try to start the vehicle with a fob that isn't programmed, it will disable the system and could keep you from driving the car for a period of time, even if you go get a key that is programmed.

OP
OP
Kmiller

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna leave it as is for the time being. The area I live in I never lock the truck. I may lock the truck 1-2 times a month. Nothing in my truck to take. If they do maybe they will take the stock radio that the CD player don't even work.