Back to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 197893 View attachment 197894 View attachment 197895 Hello all,

I recently picked up a 2019 classic Mojave Sand Warlock 3.6/4x4/3.55 gears and so far I absolutely love being back in a Ram. Ended up switching from a nice but barely equipped 2016 F150 super crew 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost. The Ford was really good to me, no big issues in the 90,000 km I used it but I grew tired of the extensive lack of options, less than desirable winter performance, rear skipping sideways over bumps, coming up to the end of powertrain warranty and with my wife working at a Hyundai dealer she pushed to get a better overall deal.

Basically the stripped down Ford that didn’t even have power seats/heated mirrors was more expensive than the Warlock. In Canadian dollars, the Ford was $52K MSRP and $40k off the lot. The Warlock was $61.5k MSRP, $39K out the door and has heated powered seats , heated steering wheel, full center console, Uconnect 8.4, power fold auto dim mirrors, and a lot more. Very impressed with Ram on that one.

Comparing the two by powertrain, I’d take the 3.6/8 speed over and over again. Although the 2.7 ecoboost/6 speed is a great combo, it was hard (but not impossible) to get the stated mileage and every time you start moving from a complete stop it felt like there was a jolt after the turbos spooled up. The 3.6/8 speed is just amazingly smooth and so far after 3,100 km I am getting better winter mileage than the ford. Averaging mixed, 12.2 L/100 km compared to 12.6 L/100 km.

The Ram feels better planted to the road over bumps and in snow. That is probably because the bed is steel instead of aluminum but I do find that the Ford took the bumps better at a higher speed (30+ km/hr)with the leafs absorbing better than the coils.

Only thing I miss from the Ford was the flat load floor in the back of the crew cab. Tons of space. There is the fold out flat load in this Ram but it just not the same. Not a big deal though.

Only things I’ve added were running boards, tonneau cover, tailgate assist and Maxliner (knockoff weathertechs) front floor mats.

Only things I want to add still would be a second row full coverage floor mat, black lug nuts or black lug nut covers, or maybe an exhaust that would give it a more aggressive tone. Looked at many YouTube videos but I can’t find one I like. The one I found that I like isn’t legal for on road up here.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this truck and it’s appearance. I love how many people stare at it as I’m driving and I have yet to see another Mojave Sand Warlock driving around my area. It’s a great package to get if you are considering a well equipped and well priced truck. I think it’s a very nice value package if you don’t need the latest and greatest.

Wow! Great narrative, and congrats on a great truck! It appears you got a better dollar value... and that's important for the long haul of payments!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you! My wife wasn’t happy with the colour but the more she saw it in person the more she likes it. It hides the mud/salt really well. The running boards are black but when mud gets kicked up they turn a very similar colour so it’s nice to have colour matched running boards from time to time.

I was reluctant to join the forum At first because of my experience on the Ford forums. Some guys there get all fired up over the smallest thing and there is a lot of hardcore fanboys there so it can get nasty. I’m sure there are some here but in my lurking before and since joining here I haven’t found many examples of that. Which is definitely something to be proud of.

Keep forgetting to explain the back to Ram title. I originally had a 2011 1500 ST quad cab 4x4 with the Hemi/5 speed/3.92 gears. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and it was a really nice truck. Traded it in for the Ford because it had the bigger crew cab for my daughter before she was born, was better on fuel and it had better incentives at the time. Life changes though, getting older I find I want more creature comforts and style. The Ram crew is more than enough for my daughter and I’m very happy to be back.

"Getting Older"? Really!? You're just a kiddo! Enjoy your new ride, and, BTW kudos for being protective enough of your family to put them inside of something substantial!

Rick Gabler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
Just bought a new 2019 Warlock in January (White/Black). Love it. First truck. I don’t like the big radio antenna on passenger side near the hood. Can I replace that easily with something more up to date? Cooler & sleeker...preferably black?

OP
OP
MojaveWarlock

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
"Getting Older"? Really!? You're just a kiddo! Enjoy your new ride, and, BTW kudos for being protective enough of your family to put them inside of something substantial!

Thanks! 14 years in the military and 4 as a first responder has certainly made me feel a little older than what my age says. Still would do it all over again though and no regrets.

OP
OP
MojaveWarlock

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just bought a new 2019 Warlock in January (White/Black). Love it. First truck. I don’t like the big radio antenna on passenger side near the hood. Can I replace that easily with something more up to date? Cooler & sleeker...preferably black?

Congrats! It’s a nice contrast with the black and white combo! There’s loads of short or stubby antennas all over eBay/amazon to look into. Maybe search on here and see if a thread pops up with personal reviews with our trucks to see how reception is. Amazon would be good for reviews but you’re never sure if it’s Ram specific or another vehicle. I think the mount/thread size should be industry standard though.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! 14 years in the military and 4 as a first responder has certainly made me feel a little older than what my age says. Still would do it all over again though and no regrets.

My 1st cousin was a Marine in the air guard. He flew a Harrier Jet! OOH RAH!

OP
OP
MojaveWarlock

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 1st cousin was a Marine in the air guard. He flew a Harrier Jet! OOH RAH!

That’s pretty awesome! I was in the Canadian Army and didn’t see many Marines in Kandahar when I was deployed but when I was passing through some FOBs or Kandahar airfield, any Americans I ran into were really friendly, professional and always had a good story to tell. Some days I really miss the simplicity of it all.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Antennas are designed to a certain length based in the wavelength of the frequency that you are trying to receive. You can buy shorter antennas that essentially have the wire "wrapped", if you will, to reach a percentage of the frequency, believe it is 25% for regular radios. But shortening will impact reception, so if you are mostly urban may not be a problem, but in rural areas you may find you are missing stations. Good luck with your truck, nice looking package that Warlock.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s pretty awesome! I was in the Canadian Army and didn’t see many Marines in Kandahar when I was deployed but when I was passing through some FOBs or Kandahar airfield, any Americans I ran into were really friendly, professional and always had a good story to tell. Some days I really miss the simplicity of it all.

My cousin originally applied to the Navy to fly on aircraft carriers; F-17's, I believe. The rate of openings per year for that is only about 48 per year, with over a thousand applicants, so the Navy is exremely picky about who they choose. He had a slight vision problem that would not matter in 99% of the cases and they rejected him. So, he applied to the Marines, and they accepted him into ther program.

This was just after America completely pulled out of Viet Nam in 1975. He was active service for 4 years and active reserves another 6. He became a commercial airline pilot, and, sadly died when his plane crashed on new year's day, 1985.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
View attachment 197893 View attachment 197894 View attachment 197895 Hello all,

I recently picked up a 2019 classic Mojave Sand Warlock 3.6/4x4/3.55 gears and so far I absolutely love being back in a Ram. Ended up switching from a nice but barely equipped 2016 F150 super crew 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost. The Ford was really good to me, no big issues in the 90,000 km I used it but I grew tired of the extensive lack of options, less than desirable winter performance, rear skipping sideways over bumps, coming up to the end of powertrain warranty and with my wife working at a Hyundai dealer she pushed to get a better overall deal.

Basically the stripped down Ford that didn’t even have power seats/heated mirrors was more expensive than the Warlock. In Canadian dollars, the Ford was $52K MSRP and $40k off the lot. The Warlock was $61.5k MSRP, $39K out the door and has heated powered seats , heated steering wheel, full center console, Uconnect 8.4, power fold auto dim mirrors, and a lot more. Very impressed with Ram on that one.

Comparing the two by powertrain, I’d take the 3.6/8 speed over and over again. Although the 2.7 ecoboost/6 speed is a great combo, it was hard (but not impossible) to get the stated mileage and every time you start moving from a complete stop it felt like there was a jolt after the turbos spooled up. The 3.6/8 speed is just amazingly smooth and so far after 3,100 km I am getting better winter mileage than the ford. Averaging mixed, 12.2 L/100 km compared to 12.6 L/100 km.

The Ram feels better planted to the road over bumps and in snow. That is probably because the bed is steel instead of aluminum but I do find that the Ford took the bumps better at a higher speed (30+ km/hr)with the leafs absorbing better than the coils.

Only thing I miss from the Ford was the flat load floor in the back of the crew cab. Tons of space. There is the fold out flat load in this Ram but it just not the same. Not a big deal though.

Only things I’ve added were running boards, tonneau cover, tailgate assist and Maxliner (knockoff weathertechs) front floor mats.

Only things I want to add still would be a second row full coverage floor mat, black lug nuts or black lug nut covers, or maybe an exhaust that would give it a more aggressive tone. Looked at many YouTube videos but I can’t find one I like. The one I found that I like isn’t legal for on road up here.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this truck and it’s appearance. I love how many people stare at it as I’m driving and I have yet to see another Mojave Sand Warlock driving around my area. It’s a great package to get if you are considering a well equipped and well priced truck. I think it’s a very nice value package if you don’t need the latest and greatest.

Pssst, no such thing as "running boards". They're called side steps. And ya didn't get the Hemi?? SACRILEDGE.

OP
OP
MojaveWarlock

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Pssst, no such thing as "running boards". They're called side steps. And ya didn't get the Hemi?? SACRILEDGE.

Seeing how gas prices are now I think maybe I should have gotten the Hemi! They’ll rebound though one day and I’m more than happy with the 3.6. Does what I want it to and my average is down to 11.9 l/100km in mixed driving with 3800 km now.

I thought running boards were the ones closer to the body of the truck and side steps were the ones further away from the body? Unless I got it mixed up in my original post.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought running boards were the ones closer to the body of the truck and side steps were the ones further away from the body? Unless I got it mixed up in my original post.

They are running boards, everyone calls them that except for one person, and that person can't get passed the 1940's/50's when they were actually made out of wood and were on cars. For anyone living in the modern day, what you have are called running boards. Some also call them sidesteps, but either one is nearly exclusively accepted and recognized on forums, other than our friend here who objects.

Nice looking truck and welcome to the forum, that is a great color!