Back up cam on while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all , I've read a couple places that the 2016 trucks have the ability to turn on the backup camera while driving at anytime .
I installed the OEM Back up cam on my 2014 4x4 QC last year , simple install imo , I love the back up cam but I hate that I can't use it at will , while towing

I'll be upgrading soon to the RA4 8.4 Radio and I'll likely be installing a Front Cam & a Cargo cam in the future .

My Question to all you smart guys out there is .... can I install an inline switch to my backup camera to turn it on at any time while driving ?

@ CuylerTech , if you Sir could figure this out and make a harness / install kit myself and I'm sure many others would purchase one .

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Take a look at CustomTronix' solution, the RAx silver plus. This is what I'm considering, it converts to about $285 with the front cam in the emblem... I think.
Also allows various cams whole driving and doesn't have the overlay menu with multiple button presses like the Lockpik Air V2 does... Just seems to be a more integrated solution like it should have been from the factory.

There are videos for each on you tube.

Not as of now, the lock-pick mirrors what is on your device (laptop, tablet, phone etc) so you have to set up and control what you want to watch on that device. I am surprised there has been no hacking other than customtronix for these units yet. Customtronix has hacked the OS but will not release any apps or hack the current uconnect apps so we can use them without a subscription. I know they could easily do it but won't out of fear of the wrath of Fiat. Sooner or later though this will change I hope.

Here is the Customtronix website
Under Dash | Customtronix

Here is the lockpick (this is the one I am currently using)
UConnect Lockpick Air Wifi v2

Here is a lower cost solution but would be much harder to hook up
http://www.amazon.com/Car-Wi-Fi-Mirabox-Miracast-Mirroring/dp/B00K36S7WE

And of course NAVTV
https://navtv.com/products/make/12/model/75/year/2014/version/2/dodge_ram_2014_usa.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Mike , I knew when I called out "smart guys " you Sir would show up
I'm actually thinking of going the Custom Tronix route or the lock pic , I'm leaning towards the CT though.

On another note , the wall outlet thing we spoke of , I'm just gonna run new wire upstairs through the walls and install the ground fault circuit like it should be

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Perhaps cptwing can comment on his experience using the Lockpik and it's menu/button integration with the radio vs CustomTronix offering.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Perhaps cptwing can comment on his experience using the Lockpik and it's menu/button integration with the radio vs CustomTronix offering.

I've read a post of his where he seems to favor the Custom Tronix ....I'm hoping he'll see this post and comment on the good , bad & ugly between the two systems .

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here's 2 good videos...
Lockpik Air v2
https://youtu.be/JPg3z58wUco

CustomTronix RAx (they really hate the Lockpik setup!)
https://youtu.be/WqfnM7btMJ0

Biggest missing feature for me with the CustomTronix is the lack of screen mirroring of your phone (screencast / mirrorcast) without adding something else, but it can be done on the third video input with app tv... Whatever that is?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that Custom Tronix is exactly what I'm wanting !

Not sure what app TV is but it looks pretty cool for passengers to watch Netflix while on road trips .

I mainly want it for the cargo and front cam and I like the back button operation to be able to turn on the Backup cam or the cargo cam and front camera at any speed .
I guess the software loads automatically once plugged in ? He doesn't cover that ? I would think it would be loaded via the USB port?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow , so tell me Sir How do you like your Custom Tronix?
I'm assuming that's what you have .

Have you had any problems with it & how is customer service ?
Have you had to update the software , if so do you do it via the USB port?

And finally did you upgrade to your 8.4" radio or was it factory ?

Thanks for any response .

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Whether you use Customtronix or the lockpick neither will turn on the OEM tailgate cam while driving above 7 mph. This is because the BCM is programmed to cut power to it, if you force it using either solution it will go to a blue screen. You can force the other cams that you hook up with either solution because they do not get powered thru the BCM.

This along with the ability to view both the tailgate cam and cargo cam in the radio was changed on the 2016 trucks. I have the cargo cam and can turn it on at anytime, I currently am using the lockpick on my 15 radio.

I am sure you could reroute power to the tailgate cam, but honestly the cargo cam gives a nice view of the trailer as well as the bed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whether you use Customtronix or the lockpick neither will turn on the OEM tailgate cam while driving above 7 mph. This is because the BCM is programmed to cut power to it, if you force it using either solution it will go to a blue screen. You can force the other cams that you hook up with either solution because they do not get powered thru the BCM.

This along with the ability to view both the tailgate cam and cargo cam in the radio was changed on the 2016 trucks. I have the cargo cam and can turn it on at anytime, I currently am using the lockpick on my 15 radio.
This guy looks like he is going above 7mph on a highway, I think the Custom Tronix video above forces the back up cam on , not sure at speeds above 7mph .
Sir , Are you saying there's a non OEM back up cam required to work with the Custom Tronix?

4e7c9291b1f90fc73766cab46d8e4811.jpg

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
Love the ct product! Just wish it was a bit cheaper. At over $300 (Canadian for me) plus shipping. And that's not including the cost of the two extra cameras you would need. Still just a dream for me! None the less, a great product!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Fyi, I read somewhere (CustomTronix site maybe) that if you want to force the OEM backup camera to stay powered up at all times, you can disconnect the Lin Bus CBC3 wire, but that will also remove the camera's grid lines.
Obviously I am not in a position at the moment to verify this.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fyi, I read somewhere (CustomTronix site maybe) that if you want to force the OEM backup camera to stay powered up at all times, you can disconnect the Lin Bus CBC3 wire, but that will also remove the camera's grid lines.
Obviously I am not in a position at the moment to verify this.

On the photo posted above and the video you linked above ( thanks for that by the way ) the grid lines are there .

Cptwing said above , the "force" back up cam turns the screen blue ? I wonder if the software has changed since the version he has tried ? Or maybe the screen does go Blue .

In the video he doesn't Force the back up cam on above 7mph , but the photo above looks like highway speed , but I'm not certin that is Custome Tronix with an OEM back up cam ?

Last edited:

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the customtronix silver installed and love it. A few things to keep in mind.

As mentioned the backup camera powers off after you reach a certain speed, no way to avoid this unless you supply power directly but you will lose the grid lines which sucks.

Unless you install the cargo cam, you cannot turn on the front cam at will, not that you would want to but just an fyi. This goes for the tailgate cam as well even if power supplied directly.

Having the front cam turn on automatically below 10 mph took me a while to get used to. I found it quite annoying. Now though it is awesome. It's great to have when parking or coming up to a light and make sure you're right on the line of the crosswalk and not in it. It shuts off when you hit 13mph.

At any time the front or tail cam comes on(below 10mph or in rev) you can switch between the cameras.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just watched the Custom Tronix video above again .
I'm pretty sure the Force mode software has changed , because when he uses force mode for the backup cam he is actually in Nutral , not Reverse he also says it will stay on Untill you turn it off by touching the screen and the gridlines are there . Not sure how that is because it's my understanding that the gridlines are generated by the line bus CBC3 from pin 45 @ the BCM C -5 connector .

Fwiw in case anyone is wondering .
I'm certin the Linbus CBC3 BCM C -5 socket #45 does not provide the power to activate the back up cam , because I had this wire disconnected while troubleshooting gridlines a while back and my camera still operated automatically in reverse . The BCM is likely providing the pwr to the backup cam in reverse up to 7mph but I know it's not coming from the purple wire line bus CBC3 Signal on the oem add on kit for the backup cam .

He also Forces the Front camera and the cargo camera on also in Nutral gear and also says they will stay on until you turn them off by touching the screen .

Last edited:

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The force mode you are talking is just using the cargo cam feature. You can use it in all gears. Once in that feature you can cycle through the cameras.

If you don't install the cargo cam feature then you cannot enable this force mode. You can enable the feature even if you do not have the cargo cam. Just realize that when you enable the cargo cam the screen will be blue because it doesn't have input then you can cycle.

Even if you are in force mode, after you reach a certain mph the rev cam shuts off and the screen turns blue. I do not know what wire does what. Mine is unmodified and just telling you what happens.

You can have the rev cam turned on by force if you are at a low enough speed.

Maybe they have a new software out since I installed mine to enable the rev camera at higher speeds?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you Sir .

Looks like the photo above is going pretty fast and the gridlines are there as well ... maybe a newer software?

b07ccece6a53c03cceee2b3bf73aeb67.jpg

Last edited:

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
FYI, the 2016 can view both tailgate and cargo cams on forward motion. I have a 2016, but you can't view it constantly. When you turn on the either of the cams they only turn on for about 8-10 seconds and revert back to the apps menu.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The photo above posted by st8er is a 2016 , Damn I was hoping he had a Custom Tronix installed .
Cptwing is probably correct ( as usual ) I bet the Forced backup cam does go Blue above 7mph .

Still a chance the software has changed because the guy on the video was in nutral and with gridlines and said it would stay on until the screen was touched ? Maybe the software only turned off the timer , they may not be able to turn off the speed limiter .

Can anyone post an answer to this that has the latest software installed with the Custom Tronix?
Thanks .