Lost backup camera lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 with a factory backup camera. I lost the backup camera lines over a year ago, camera still works just fine but the lines are gone. If I go into the radio to select/deselect them it will uncheck itself for a second then recheck itself.

I've unplugged/cleaned and replugged the connection at the back of the Uconnect screen
I've factory reset the radio from the hidden menu
I've reset the radio from the hidden menu
I've factory reset it from the normal settings menu
I've cleaned and grease all the connections from the spare tire back that involve the camera.
I've reflashed the latest firmware for my truck about 4 times. Nothing

In AlfaOBD it shows fault U0264 " Lost communication with camera module" under the body computer faults. But the camera works fine other than no backup lines.
I've also tired "adding it in" via alfaobd but that didnt work either.

This last summer I had the lines come back for no particular reason for a few days. The only think I can think that may have caused it to come back was a bunch of water falling down between the tailgate and the bed when I scrubbed the bed out but that could be completely irrelevant too. I just remember thinking thats the only thing out of the normal that occurred when it came back for about 3 days.

I'm hoping someone has an answer for me, cause at this point the only option left is to throw parts at it, let a dealer step into my wallet, or try to let it go.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you used Alfa to make any changes to the truck at all? If I had to guess you may have inadvertently changed a setting for the grid lines? If not it would probably be a hardware issue in the radio.

If you can navigate through the Alfa settings and see if these are set. This is off my 2016 but would think the 2014 would be the same?

LIN Module Customer Programmable Features:
Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines Enabled: Set

Vehicle Config Customer Settings Menu 1:
Rear view camera gridlines customer settings menu: Dynamic

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've set a couple differwnt dynamic line values to yes in Alfaobd, but it didn't make a difference. Also if it was an Alfaobd thing idk why they would have come back for about 3 days then disappeared again.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
went through again just now and found a medley of codes under my power steering module. Figured maybe there was something related since the lines bend with the steering.
Found:
U0100
U0140
U0155
U0423
C2128

In my body Control module I found the codes:
U0147
P1009
U0264

Also went and checked under the body control module
Car Configuration Change > Cust Prog Feat-Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines Enabled - Yes
Car Configuration Change > VehConfig 1 Rear View Camera - Yes
Rear View Camera Grid Lines - Disabled and no matter how many times I tried to set it to enabled it would not take that.

So is it looking like a bad BCM or what?

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also mine doesnt have LIN Module Customer Programmable Features:
Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines

I checked the 2016 BCM settings and its in there but not the 2014.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of these codes point to some sort of communication problem between modules. I'd clear them and see which ones come back. Next step visual inspection of wiring and connectors at the BCM and power steering module. As far as I understand with the factory radios the lines are generated in the radio based on information from the steering module. The camera is just a camera.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The camera generates the Gridlines based on Lin Bus CBC 3 wire from the BCM (c5/E-45) via 8pin i550 Tailgate connector (pin 2) then to pin 2 at camera inside the tailgate.

If the BCM isn't talking to the camera via the bus or the camera is defective the Gridlines won't appear b/c of (likely causes in order, normally without tinkering with BCM settings) ...

Bad camera
Broken Lin Bus CBC 3 wire/bad connection
Faulty BCM config
Faulty BCM

M² Mods.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The camera generates the Gridlines based on Lin Bus CBC 3 wire from the BCM (c5/E-45) via 8pin i550 Tailgate connector (pin 2) then to pin 2 at camera inside the tailgate.

I stand corrected. Makes sense given that the mirror display has the lines as well. Curious though how does the camera know how much to "bend" the lines ? Wouldn't that require some sort of communication from the steering ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I stand corrected. Makes sense given that the mirror display has the lines as well. Curious though how does the camera know how much to "bend" the lines ? Wouldn't that require some sort of communication from the steering ?
Information passed over the (LIN) Bus ...
Local
Information
Network

M² Mods.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
10-4 the bend % in the active grid lines and several other features are generated by the steering wheel clockspring position .

When the line of communication is good all the way to the camera [emoji106]

As suggested above I'd replace the camera with an OEM one then start working my way backwards ( wire wise )to the BCM C-5 / E-45 ( Orange with purple stripe ) wire .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The camera code is the only one that will immediately come back after clearing it. I havent driven it since I found all those codes in the power steering module. Trying to think if I disconnected my battery when I was messing with my lightbar a week or so back. I wonder if that would cause all those codes.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you guys think this could all stem from the camera module itself eh? Just seems odd to my since the camera itself is functioning.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
drove about 20 miles today, no codes came up except for the persistant Camera one. I ordered an OEM camera off amazon, So I guess we shall see if that is indeed the issue.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
replaced all the wiring in the tailgate and the part that leads out and attaches to the main harness. Nothing. Just money wasted.

Comer17BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this is an old post (I’m new here), but I had the same thing happen with my ‘17 Big Horn. One morning, backup camera gridlines just went away. When I went to the settings, I tried to disable the Active Guideline setting (was still checked), however, checkmark simply just came back, with no gridlines showing. After reading many forums, I performed a simple soft reboot of the radio (held in Volume and Tuner knobs until radio went black). When it finished the reboot, I went back into settings, selected Active Guidelines (checkmark was now gone). Backup camera gridlines are back!
Sometimes, you just need to reboot.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've tried so many different things. mine never did come back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam