Bad coil pack again HELP!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdonovan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2003 dodge 2500 5.7 hemi.. 150,000 miles... Replaced #2 coilpack cause it was bad drive about 200 miles this mourning heard something arking poped hood same coil pack had a small pin hole in it and was sparking onto the bolt holding it down!! What would be causing the probs with this #2 coil pack??

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Weird, all I can add is that the Ground strap at the top of the valve cover in the center needs to be serviceable or you will get ground popping at any of the coils on the side involved as well as if the valve covers are ever painted the top middle bolt hole as well as the coil bolt surfaces need to be cleaned/bare aluminum. Never had experience with a bad 03-05 Hemi Type coil on any of my 3 engines. The recycle Parts yards here sell them as a set of eight for $80 bucks so if you did only need one you would have eight...LOl. Good luck.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Possible you got a defective replacement coil pack?

OP
OP
R

Rdonovan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys I returned the bad one today and will check the ground straps and see if this one holds up... If not then I would say there is a prob somewhere else

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The 12vdc source for all the ignition coils are also common to the fuel injectors. These are all triggered individually from the PCM through specific grounding circuits. Additional grounding to the heads/valve covers reduces electrical noise. 6.1 dual coil setup uses composite valve covers, eliminating the secondary grounds. If you pop a single individual coil, it is most likely a bad component, frayed wiring or the PCM breaking down.

OP
OP
R

Rdonovan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where is the wire typical to fray at? And would this be a groin wire or hot wire?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Where is the wire typical to fray at? And would this be a groin wire or hot wire?

The coils and injectors have power applied constantly and then the PCM trigger circuits shunt to ground and fire the coils and injectors. If one of the wires going to the PCM is shorting to ground then it's easy to burn up a coil or injector. I would obviously look between the coil and the PCM. On my 03 it has a connector on the driver side rear of the engine. This makes it easier to trouble shoot. You can also just pull the plug at the PCM and check for continuity and ground from there. I recently did this to trouble shoot an injector problem. Check the plugs and pins as they are easier to damage then a wrapped up wiring harness. Good luck...