Bad paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott22469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Advice needed.
I bought a 2016 Ram Big horn on Oct 9th .Black forest green.A week after buying it sent it to detail shop to get a good wax before winter.A couple hours after dropping the truck off the detail shop called and said there was a major problem with the paint.I then went to detail shop.They went over the roof with me showing me a spot the size of a half dollar where the paint was gone,down to primer.They continued to show me 6 or 7 chips on the roof in various spots.There are 4 or 5 chips on the hood,1 on the passenger door above the door handle,1 on the back of the cab,and quit a few more on the upper bumper between the grill and chrome bumper.
I immediately called the dealer Holtzhouser in Nashville Il.Explained the problem .Talked to body shop manager, he informed me they would turn in a claim and that I would need to get truck back there for pictures.Within a couple days took the truck there and pictures were taken and turned in to ram service.
Within a week dealer called and stated that the claim was denied but did inform me that I had the right to dispute the decision.He gave new the number and I then began calling .
I did get them to send out an area manager to view the truck and with the help of the dealer they agreed to fix the big spot.That at this point still isn't fixed.The area manager told me that the chips would have to be turned in on separate claim.Being persistent I called my case manager every other day.spoke with the dealer today and the chip claim has been denied as well.
Can someone please advise me on what steps I should pursue from here.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Chips are road hazard. Good luck getting that fixed for free. How do they know without a doubt that you don't drive on a gravel road every day? I would bet the spot on the roof is from where the detail shop let a high speed buffer burn through the paint.

Get some touch up paint and remember, it's a truck

nclark112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My bumper paint looks like ****, its not even chips. The clear coat along with the pain has just been flaking off. I had called RAM about it and was told that since I have over 10k miles I'm SOL. Personally I think ram puts on ****** cheap paint and doesn't want to back it up.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That stinks. At least you're getting the big portion done for free. As far as chips, that's part of driving and you might as well plan to get more. Touch-up paint is your best friend.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Chips are road hazard. Good luck getting that fixed for free. How do they know without a doubt that you don't drive on a gravel road every day? I would bet the spot on the roof is from where the detail shop let a high speed buffer burn through the paint.

Get some touch up paint and remember, it's a truck

First thing I thought before I read your post was the detail shop was trying to cover their ass for the buffer burn through.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
unless you can prove the damage was there before you took delivery your SOL. take whatever they are offering to fix for free and move on. chalk it up to a lesson learned that you have to do a thorough inspection of a vehicle before before taking delivery. its unfortunate but it is what it is.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
there has been paint problems for a few years now.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
According to your profile you live in Jacksonville NC which is close to Top Sail Island. Lots of salt water nearby. Do you drive out to the beach regularly?
I agree the paint should hold up but salty air can screw up a lot of stuff.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My black 2014 Sport came out of the factory with the inside bottom of the doors unpainted. It was painted under warranty. At this point, based on my Ram paint quality experience and reading about many others over the years, I can totally see what the OP is talking about and consider it likely.

OP
OP
S

Scott22469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
According to your profile you live in Jacksonville NC which is close to Top Sail Island. Lots of salt water nearby. Do you drive out to the beach regularly?
I agree the paint should hold up but salty air can screw up a lot of stuff.

No I live in illinois.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My mistake. Salty roads maybe?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads