Battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Have you put a code reader on it. Knowing what you are talking about is a good way to put smart a$$ people in their place. You might not know how to fix the problems yourself but it will cut down on the b.s. I use a blue driver but there’s lots of different options. I have noticed on my pw that after you shut off the key it whirs and clicks and flashes for a while. I had a problem with my pw but it was a trailer wiring issue splashing through water shorted it out and killed the battery. I don’t think that’s your issue but clearly you can hear something running.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I would go and stand beside the truck and have the service manager come and tell me what the problem is if he can’t provide a solution tear a strip off of them it’s pretty obvious that somethings not right

OP
OP
J

Juls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That sounds a bit arrogant on the part of the serviceman.

An important part of customer service is listening to your customer, even when you might think you know better.

I would have insisted that he commit 15 seconds of his life to watch the video.

As previously mentioned, the sounds heard in the video do not sound typical.

Too bad the dealership is so far away, you might consider searching for a small shop with a competent mechanic.

Then reserve the dealership for warranty related matters, if you still have warranty.

I'm not very satisfied with the dealership I've been using either and plan to explore others much further away.

Then after my warranty expires, I know a local guy I can use.

Please keep us updated and if there's any questions that arise, ask away.

The only stupid questions are those not asked. :cool:

The warranty has expired. . I appreciate your advice. I agree with your thoughts regarding the serviceman. I don’t think being a woman helped. They tend to not listen. I always like to take pictures or videos to help them. Thank you for your advice. I am so happy I found this forum.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The warranty has expired. . I appreciate your advice. I agree with your thoughts regarding the serviceman. I don’t think being a woman helped. They tend to not listen. I always like to take pictures or videos to help them. Thank you for your advice. I am so happy I found this forum.

You're most welcome. :cool:

Many service shops will take advantage of anyone who isn't very knowledgeable about their vehicle and sadly, most women.

On the bright side, if your warranty period is over, you can shop for a new mechanic. :)

I have plans to start my search for a new dealer. I'm planning to identify potential dealerships and go meet the service managers to find that warm fuzzy feeling.

You might consider doing the same for a mechanic in your area. After you have this current fault corrected, you might use that issue as a talking point with some of the smaller shops.

Don't tell them about the final fix, just ask them how they would choose to handle a similar issue. Hopefully, you will find someone who listens to you and isn't a dolt.

I'm happy I found Ram Forum too. The majority of members are very friendly and the knowledge here is endless.

I'm looking forward to hearing the final resolution for this issue, as I'm confident you are too. :cool:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I didn’t realize you are a woman. It’s probably one of the reasons that the dealership gave you short shrift. The one where my wife goes the same thing to her oddly they don’t really like it when I bring her jeep in for service because I stand there and watch them. They can keep their free coffee. When you shut off your engine you should be able to put your hand on things to see what’s running. Don’t let it get too hot before doing this. Knowledge is power especially for women when it comes to getting your truck fixed

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I agree with the other commenter you should definitely find a good place to take your truck. If you’re in a small town or city certain businesses will have a good reputation others not so much with dealers charging 120$ plus an hour if they can’t tell you what is wrong with your truck just by listening to it wtf. In the past a mechanic could diagnose a problem usually by sound and smell

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am surprised that no one has mentioned contacting someone in a higher position than the Service Adviser.

maybe as a starting point, Private Message @RamCares

There is no real reason that a vehicle should be at a dealership for an extended period of time, without being told what the probable issue is.
Even if it was a Supply Train issue, the owner should be advised, whether the 3 Year Factory Warranty is up or not.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can’t really hear much on your vidio, my ears are shot, maybe when I get back to the laptop

Can’t do much with it sitting at dealership, maybe they are swamped with work, or bunch of idiots
Should take 20 min to figure out with a meter and code reader

A amp meter will tell you what the current draw is, or just pull a few fuses as Ramdriver said is a quick way to see what is still drawing current when everything thing is shut down
On these newer ones it takes a bit of time for all these computers to go to sleep.

Good luck, happy New Year.
Wife Birthday as well

PS, Back at the computor, I really hear it now, A piece of rubber hose make a good stethoscope against different parts to pick out noises.
If it has been at the dealer for weeks, that is unreal, unless they are waiting for parts that are out of stock, But they need to tell you that.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sure sounds like it is coming from that vacuum pump. I hope they figure it out soon. If they don’t have ready but this week I would get them to release the vehicle to an independent shop and tow it there. That is just not acceptable.

OP
OP
J

Juls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can’t really hear much on your vidio, my ears are shot, maybe when I get back to the laptop

Can’t do much with it sitting at dealership, maybe they are swamped with work, or bunch of idiots
Should take 20 min to figure out with a meter and code reader

A amp meter will tell you what the current draw is, or just pull a few fuses as Ramdriver said is a quick way to see what is still drawing current when everything thing is shut down
On these newer ones it takes a bit of time for all these computers to go to sleep.

Good luck, happy New Year.
Wife Birthday as well

PS, Back at the computor, I really hear it now, A piece of rubber hose make a good stethoscope against different parts to pick out noises.
If it has been at the dealer for weeks, that is unreal, unless they are waiting for parts that are out of stock, But they need to tell you that.
They have not yet told me that they even “think” what the problem is. No parts have been ordered.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is just frustrating to hear. I really don’t like going to the dealer.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
They have not yet told me that they even “think” what the problem is. No parts have been ordered.
Run Away (with your Truck) -- Fast as you can... Sounds like that Dealer is a member of the $1,000 minimum club...

Mark Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have to do a draw test and verify with a multi meter then just unplug connectors until draw is gone.

OP
OP
J

Juls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have to do a draw test and verify with a multi meter then just unplug connectors until draw is gone.
You would think that would have been done. I’ll going to call tomorrow and ask what has been done so far.

stevewithavision

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would buy a mechanic's stethoscope and chase the noise down with them, they're available through Amazon for $5.66

OP
OP
J

Juls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would buy a mechanic's stethoscope and chase the noise down with them, they're available through Amazon for $5.66
Once the battery is dead the noises stop. But until the battery dies the noise will continue without the motor running.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't ask if they have done anything ,Ask why they are not working on it.
Tell them to get at it or charge the battery and you will take to a service station with a teck., you must have someone like that that can figure it out. even a GM or Ford dealer if that is all you have. I am now in a small city of 14k we must have about 6 or 8 small service shops , not counting the full line auto dealers.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't ask if they have done anything ,Ask why they are not working on it.
Tell them to get at it or charge the battery and you will take to a service station with a teck., you must have someone like that that can figure it out. even a GM or Ford dealer if that is all you have. I am now in a small city of 14k we must have about 6 or 8 small service shops , not counting the full line auto dealers.
Interesting how folks look at population. :cool: I would consider 14k people bigger than a small city. The closest small city to me is 30 minutes away, and it has ~8000 people. I live rural, the closest town to me has about 1100 folks - barely more than a village - and we have 1 auto parts store, which is also the local mechanic.

My mom was born in Vanguard, SK.