Battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There is no such animal as a spare 10mm socket or wrench. At least not for more than one or two uses of the original, then what was the spare becomes the primary and you have to start over again. :emotions122:

That's why I keep a spare in the safe right next to my 1911. :cool:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no such animal as a spare 10mm socket or wrench. At least not for more than one or two uses of the original, then what was the spare becomes the primary and you have to start over again. :emotions122:

Calling it a spare seemed easier than identifying it as, loose in a drawer with a bunch of other miscellaneous-sized wrenches. Loose and mixed wrenches versus part of a set.

The same goes for the stubby ratchet, it rarely gets used, I may as well store it in my truck.

The extension was loose in the back of a drawer too and the socket came from an old ratchet set that hasn't been touched in years because I have other sets.

You know, we all likely have these extra bits in the backs of tool drawers.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you take them out occasionally and give them a good polishing? You know, so they know they're loved and not forgotten.

Quite the opposite, I hide it under the foam rubber.
Never make eye contact with a 10mm. It is a form
of aggression, causing it to flee.

OP
OP
J

Juls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well folks, here we go again! Truck died again. Same issue! I took yet another video and pictures of the dash lights. So, tomorrow morning they will be getting a call from me. I can’t imagine that this is good for a new battery. This will be the third recharge after it is drained.

Attachments

• IMG_9103.jpeg
    IMG_9103.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9104.jpeg
    IMG_9104.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9106.jpeg
    IMG_9106.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 11

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well folks, here we go again! Truck died again. Same issue! I took yet another video and pictures of the dash lights. So, tomorrow morning they will be getting a call from me. I can’t imagine that this is good for a new battery. This will be the third recharge after it is drained.

That's most unfortunate but not too surprising.

I would urge you to never return to that dealer, find another local mechanic that has good reviews, or find a helpful friend and get help here on the forum, if you have the time.

That dealership sounds very incompetent, will just keep taking your money, and may never get this fault repaired.

If the noise has returned while the key is off, start pulling the fuses we identified earlier. Once the noise quits from a fuse extraction, you will learn what component is eating batteries.

Leave the fuse out and get a low-current (2 Amp) battery minder/charger onto the battery before it expires.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't have a air ride, so I can't really add much. I guess the air pump must be live to battery even when truck is off?? strange/ stupid I would say.
There has to be a air leak in the pump, or a bad air line or connection.
Or a air bag shot. Or??????????
Should not be that hard to track down, with the truck up on a hoist.
Soapy water on all the connectors use to be the way we found air leaks.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't have a air ride, so I can't really add much. I guess the air pump must be live to battery even when truck is off?? strange/ stupid I would say.

Here again, it depends rather heavily on the mechanic...

5ve4pc.jpg

OP
OP
J

Juls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didn’t think it would be that hard either. You would think my video and me showing the mechanic would give him a lead to what is going on!

DudeWalksOnWater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2020 RAM would not start. Nov. 27, 1023 I put in a new battery. On Dec. 14,2023 my truck wouldn’t start. When I looked under the hood I could hear something running. It would alternate between a high pitched noise and a sshhhhhh noise. I did video the issue.
It has been at the dealership for weeks. Still no solution. Any help is appreciated.
Do you have the air adjustable suspension. Sounds a lot like the compressor kicking in.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
10mm & 1/2" wrenches of every type, can be found where you hid the 5.5 mm allen wrenches.

Find a local Auto Electric Shop, they still have old style

Parasitic Drain Tester​

how to ..

OP
OP
J

Juls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes I do.
FYI- I picked up my truck. The serviceman told me that the new battery had a bad cell. Well, I did tell them when I had it towed there that it was a new battery and I had contacted NAPA in case they needed to replace it. I was told by the serviceman that it is unlikely it is the battery, it’s new. I told them to check the battery. After repeated charging it continued to test low after a few days. So they replaced the battery under my battery warranty. We shall see if that does the trick. PS. They did not charge me for labor for the second time it was in there.