Bed covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglas Walouke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I’ve had a BakFlip, four section, hard, folding cover on the back of 2014 Longhorn. It’s starting to fall apart and the darn thing is heavy to flip unless you’re standing in the bed of the truck.

Looking for some advice on new covers. I like the ability to just partially pull back the cover, but I’m torn on going with a soft vs hard top as I don’t often leave anything of value in the bed. I live in suburban Cincinnati where crime/theft isn’t that big of an issue.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for taking the time to drop a note.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using a Roll-N-Lock cover for the past 16 years and am very satisfied there's nothing better for my use.

I've been on multi-week road trips with my buddy's Ferd which has a folding cover, and another friends truck that had a solid fibreglass cover.

The solid cover is horrible to access the front area unless you enjoy crawling on your hands and knees. And the folding cover is always a PITA to open and close, now that it's wet inside, it's more of a PITA.

The folding cover usually takes 2-4 hands to open and close, that alone is a pest. It works OK if you have a dedicated second set of hands. :cool:

I like that I can lock my cover part way closed, open it completely to get a cord of wood, load or move stuff, and I often get dressed/undressed for scuba diving while standing in the truck.

Opening and closing is pretty effortless and on some scuba trips, I might have about $25K worth of gear secured in the back.

I'm pretty confident that nobody going to be able to get in there without a K12 saw and lots of noise. :cool:

RealTruck bought Roll-N-Lock in recent years, however; it looks to be the same unit. I can't speak to RealTruck's customer service, but I used to call Roll-N-Lock in Florida and they were awesome.

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Those roll-n-lock bedcovers are awesome. I loved the one I had on my 1500. If money is no object and the rolling mechanism doesn't interfere with how you need to use it I would point to that cover.

That said, they are expensive so if you're looking for bedcovers that keep the bed dry but won't break the budget, a soft cover might fit the bill. I have a Gator cover on my 2500 and love it. Does the job of keeping my bed dry, takes 2 minutes to roll up if I need it, took less than 30 minutes to install, and cost less than $250.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the Bakflip as well. My first cover in 40 yrs of driving trucks. If I was going to buy a new cover, I'd probably go with the Diamondback. More expensive, but would have met my needs better as I'm used to throwing 2 bikes and a kayak in my truck while on vacation in the summer. Now I'm contemplating how to build a bike stand in the bed because of the cover. First world problems.

My son has the Roll n lock in his Chevy. He's had no issues.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I had a soft tri-fold and loved it. Easy to remove (2 minutes to remove and 5 minutes to install), no drilling/mounting, easy to carry (15 lbs maybe), and easy to clean (wipe it down with some 303 every couple of months), and was not very expensive.

I was coming from almost 20 years of fiberglass tonneaus so this was a dream to work with. There were some things I learned along the way as I did not like the clamp system as much as I thought (there are differences between brands - I bought one of the cheapest ones) and was looking at upgrading to a Vanguard hard tri-fold that wasn't going to break the bank or need mounting but I sold the truck before I pulled the trigger:

https://vanguardoffroad.com/shop.html?fitment=2019|Ram|1500&page=1&facet-Fitment-Specific+or+Universal=Fitment-Specific&facet-categories=1389247

My dad has the Bakflip on his (he has Ram Boxes so is limited in products available) and loves it. It is a very nice unit but needs to have the rails mounted (and drains run) and is heavy to wield on a whim.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine - a bit steep, but a crook would need to come prepared to tear everything apart and make a lot of noise getting into it.

freeswimmingfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just put a retractable cover on my 2500. Got it from Truck2go. So far I like it, has T-slots on the rails for attachments. Also got better MPG (6.4). Went from 14.5 to 17.3!

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3417.jpeg
    IMG_3417.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
really depends on what your looking for out of a cover and what your budget is. Retractables or hard roll ups are great if your not looking to do anther folding cover(which is the most popular style)

Message me if you would like any info or pricing on any covers. We offer most brands

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I like the roll up tarp style, I think I've had 8-10 over the years.
The Access cover is one of the first and they work very well.
The price is right also, I would not pay big bucks for those
hard types. I trade too often.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My research seemed to indicate that the more complicated and more costly the cover, the more problems that seemed to be reported. I finally decided on a Pro X15 low profile soft cover, sort of medium price. Figured I could replace it 2 or 3 times over for the cost of a hard, rolling cover. But some people do need a hard cover.

IMG_1135.jpeg

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My research seemed to indicate that the more complicated and more costly the cover, the more problems that seemed to be reported. I finally decided on a Pro X15 low profile soft cover, sort of medium price. Figured I could replace it 2 or 3 times over for the cost of a hard, rolling cover. But some people do need a hard cover.

View attachment 543077
Looks eerily similar to my Gator cover. For the price, it's really hard to beat if you just need protection from the rain/elements.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441