Bed Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read a lot of the posts and reviews online as to what to put in the bed, but I'm still undecided as to what I should get.

I see about 3 main options.

1) Plastic Drop-in/DualLiner (downside is how water, leaves, grit, etc gets stuck under it)
2) Bedrug (Downside for me is the stick on velcro that holds it in place)
3) Spray-in (my concern is what repercussions do I have if they mess up the install since they have to scuff up the paint...my installer is the same one that my dealer uses so I assume that risk is low...but still there's always a chance)

So I'm hoping someone here may have had the same mental conundrum that I'm having and can provide some insight as to what they did.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is your concern with the Velcro attachment of the BedRug? I had one for over 5 years in my 2008 Dakota with great success and just installed one in my 2014 1500.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/bedrug_bakflip_installed-48426/

I don't like sticking things to my vehicles - like bumper stickers, etc.

I'm actually leaning toward the dualliner after looking at some videos online (not their marketing vids).

My truck is a recreational vehicle so it'll only see light homeowner type bed use, so it probably only see the occasional trip t lowes for grass seed etc. My dad used only a rubber bed mat for years on his truck and really didn't have any complaints. I like the dualliner's hard sidewalls and ability to remove it if I wanted....

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I liked the dual liner too. I got a deal on a barely used Bedrug, so I went that direction instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thing that concerns me a bit about the dualliner is that their site looks like one of those infomercial sites - like a shamwow site or something - very unprofessional. So I was hoping to find some first hand accounts of it before going all in at $350 (about 100 less than what my local spray in dealer quoted).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Water wont get behind Linex, so your concern isn't justified, no repercussions from scratching the bed but you will have repercussions if you don't scratch it when choose linex. Linex will protect from bed rot like nothing else, of course rust can still come from underneath, but you can even linex that when it starts as well. I LineX every truck soon as I get it anymore. Had it in 3 trucks and it's clone (fmj) in another. great stuff.

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thing that concerns me a bit about the dualliner is that their site looks like one of those infomercial sites - like a shamwow site or something - very unprofessional. So I was hoping to find some first hand accounts of it before going all in at $350 (about 100 less than what my local spray in dealer quoted).

I had a drop in in my old truck and wasn't too impressed. Wasn't a dual liner though. I have a spray in now and love it.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems everyone loves the spray-in's and I get it for the rust prevention, etc. How well does it do with dent protection. I've been told that they seem (these people haven't tried it) that if they throw some cinder blocks in that will dent the bed/wheel wells.

KTM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Seems everyone loves the spray-in's and I get it for the rust prevention, etc. How well does it do with dent protection. I've been told that they seem (these people haven't tried it) that if they throw some cinder blocks in that will dent the bed/wheel wells.
My last truck had the LineX and I loved it, however it does not mean it is dent proof. If you throw anything with enough force it will dent the metal. I have used my trucks for all kinds of rough hauling in the bed and if I plan on anything getting dropped heavy in the bed then i have a 3/4" piece of plywood that goes down first.

LineX is the easiest for me.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I love the spray in bed liners. I switched from Rhino to Line-X with this new truck. Line-X is superior to Rhino IMO. Thicker and more durable. Don't worry about them messing it up, it's like painting. They screw it up, they re-spray it.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I vote spray-in! The drop-ins can be noisey and develope a rattle, too. I had this problem on my previous Ram.

My current Ram came with the spray-in liner. Does anyone know what Ram uses for for their factory spray-ins??

What ever it is, is tough as ****. I have definitely damaged more things that I put in the bed, then I did damage to the bed.

Last edited:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I like my drop in. Yes they warp, yes they rattle, yes they trap water, but for 200 bucks you cant go wrong, and you will never dent your bed with it, and it will take 10 years for it to rot your bed out due to rubbing and water. I chuck stuff back there and dont even worry about it, and in a few years when i get sick of it ill either get another one or get a spray in. Unless you got 600-700 bucks laying around just get a drop in..

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the bedtred and looks awesome. It won't absorb water, fade or discolor from harsh chemicals if you spill any. It's durable as a spray in. My truck didn't have the spray from factory and the local linex wanted $650 to do it. I hate drop in liners because my past trucks had them and always got debris behind and clogged the drainage for the bed. Also I have two bad knees so the spray in and drop in liners are uncomfortable on my knees. The bedtred is padded.

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No complaints so far with my Linex. Still has the original shine and it's easy to clean. Can't beat the warranty either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the bedtred and looks awesome. It won't absorb water, fade or discolor from harsh chemicals if you spill any. It's durable as a spray in. My truck didn't have the spray from factory and the local linex wanted $650 to do it. I hate drop in liners because my past trucks had them and always got debris behind and clogged the drainage for the bed. Also I have two bad knees so the spray in and drop in liners are uncomfortable on my knees. The bedtred is padded.

I was looking at that, my issue with the bedrug brand of products is that you have to stick velcro to the truck to keep it in - and if I didn't like it then I'd have to deal with getting the sticky residue off.

I think my issue with anything I buy is that I won't be able to see it before I buy it (other than people that have the spray in).

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at that, my issue with the bedrug brand of products is that you have to stick velcro to the truck to keep it in - and if I didn't like it then I'd have to deal with getting the sticky residue off

Normally, once you have a BedRug installed you are never going to fully remove it, unless you buy another truck that uses the same model BedRug and you want to transfer it.

I would bet if you did ever remove the strips on the bed and needed remove the adhesive left over, it would be no more difficult then repairing any damage a drop in would do to the bed over a period of time.

But to each their own. I love the versatility of the BedRug. It looks great, protects the bed, keeps stuff from sliding around and is so much nicer to crawl around in the bed without tearing up your hands and knees like can happen with drop ins or spray protection.

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was looking at that, my issue with the bedrug brand of products is that you have to stick velcro to the truck to keep it in - and if I didn't like it then I'd have to deal with getting the sticky residue off.

I think my issue with anything I buy is that I won't be able to see it before I buy it (other than people that have the spray in).

Go to bedrug/ bedtred website to find a local dealer and call them to see if the have the display in their showroom. That's what help me decide on it.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just put a mat in mine. i like the look better and if i need to carry anything that would hit the sides such as a load of wood i have an old beater for that