Bed Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
I don't see many trucks on here with bed rails but personally like them both for form and function.
What is the consensus on them and is there a preferred rail. I like the oval style but haven't yet decided. Also, does one have to remove the plastic top rail to install them or install over?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If I'm not mistaken they will install over the top of the plastic ones in the stake pockets. The function of them were to give you another place to tie stuff down. I believe today's use is looks.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they used to be handy to protect the top of the bed sides before they started covering them in plastic. They used to just be painted and would scratch up if you loaded stuff over the side.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
I had them installed on a smaller truck many years ago to help me strap things down, other than that I found them fairly useless.

BaghRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't see many trucks on here with bed rails but personally like them both for form and function.
What is the consensus on them and is there a preferred rail. I like the oval style but haven't yet decided. Also, does one have to remove the plastic top rail to install them or install over?

I installed mine over the plastic bedside covers, just cut out the pockets. I believe mine are Westin pocket-to-pocket rails that originally were black powder coat. They are used a lot to secure taller loads that don't fit under the tri-fold cover. Eventually painted them with rattle can bed-liner for durability and looks

cpilkington1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have chrome rails on my 2500.

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just installed a set of polished stainless Weston (50-2030). It was an easy install and they look great. They are a low profile oval style.

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just installed a set of polished stainless Weston (50-2030). It was an easy install and they look great. Installed them right over the plastic rails. They are a low profile oval style.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
A old thread but good one :)
I have had my Back Rack Headache rack and rails for a few years. Love the and use them for tying down stuff

Rack and Rail 2.jpg Rail.jpg