Best Dash Cam For the Money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Do NOT get a refurbished Magellan GPS & Dashcam. They are a TOTAL POS. I was running one when an idiot on a cell phone ran a red light and put me in the hospital and my new RAM in the junkyard. I should have stuck with using my $10 Chinese dash cams at least they never failed. I even took the unit to an expert and he could not recover the data and yes it was still on the dash when my truck quit spinning. YES I am still pissed about it 4 yrs later it failed when I needed it the most. It was actually the second 1 I had that had died.

Squirrel1270

Air Force Retired
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back in 2021 I bought the VAVA Dual Dash Cam from Amazon. Works awesome. No screen but does have front and back cameras and works off a wifi app. Knock on wood, I haven't had any scary moments, which is strange living in NJ... I have it plugged into the aux plug between the seats behind the center console.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have just a cheapie one from Amazon with front and rear cams.

I just caught an aggravated assault where a dude intentionally rammed another vehicle that was off the side of the road. Apparently, I caught the second act of the conflict (girl previous dude, new dude, cheating?).

My rear cam mirror imaged the rear video, so it looks like I was driving in England...lol. I had to do a bit to get it turned around

Made me realize I need a better setup, but very glad I had something. When the Deputy saw the collision he said it was a great vid.

I passed by the truck that was off the main road thinking they were broke down and right after I passed by them, a vehicle was coming in the opposite lane. As he passed by me I looked in my rearview mirror and saw him swerve off the road and hit the vehicle with the occupants standing right next to it. They had to run into the yard of a house to get out of his way, after he hit the vehicle.Of course, I filled out a witness statement, etc.

Dude ruined his life over hoo-hoo. I get the emotion, but sad.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have just a cheapie one from Amazon with front and rear cams.

I just caught an aggravated assault where a dude intentionally rammed another vehicle that was off tge side of the road. Apparently, I caught the second act of the conflict (girl previous dude, new dude).

My rear cam mirror imaged the rear cam, so it looks like I was driving in England...lol. I had to do a bit to get it turned around

Made me realize I need a better setup, but very glad I had something.

You should be able to flip that image on the rear facing camera. Some you do it in the settings and some there is a wire loop near the camera that you cut. Read thoroughly through the directions it should mention that.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You should be able to flip that image on the rear facing camera. Some you do it in the settings and some there is a wire loop near the camera that you cut. Read thoroughly through the directions it should mention that.
Yeah, I think I can do that. Funny, I also had the date as 2022. I hope that it not something that would get the vid dismissed. We will see.

From what I remember of the instructions, they weren't written very well. Will take a look. Thanks

Last edited:

JoeRfromSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7e
Well, I like the looks of this one, and it seems to have great features. It mounts and looks like OEM on the mirror. I plan to buy this one....

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
FitcamX...Looks like Factory Box, adapter snaps in at the Mirror Power for the camera...can see on App as you drive or download to phone or pull SD card and download to PC
I got mine yesterday. Got her installed and looks great. My biggest complaint. Hard to tell if it's on or not. The power light is nearly impossible to see in its current location and as far as I can tell, there is no audio cue either. The other annoyance is the battle of wills between wireless android auto and connecting to the cam. I had to turn off AA on the radio then connect to the cam otherwise, AA would instantly reconnect.

JoeRfromSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7e
Does anyone know if the fitcamx can pull off easily and not leave any digital cookies? Don't want a warranty issue.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I wish they'd make a FitCam for the '09-Classic bodystyle. Been shopping for my '17 and haven't found one I like enough to pull the trigger. I need to soon though, almost got hit twice yesterday

hipzippy

Reaction score
I just ordered a FitCamX for my Ram, Its 4K and looks factory. I watched some reviews on it and looked pretty good. Of course, I can't speak the quality and longevity until I get in hand and start using it but it looks good on paper!
What is your overall impression after a month?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
FitcamX...Looks like Factory Box, adapter snaps in at the Mirror Power for the camera...can see on App as you drive or download to phone or pull SD card and download to PC
They are showing this for the 1500 only. Yours is a 2500 yes? Is the HD's using the same mirror system?

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
I would strongly suggest getting something you can either hardwire or run off a battery pack while parked with a shock/motion sensor. I have a Thinkware U1000 hardwired. It captures 10 seconds prior to shock (or motion) while parked and saves it as a event. While a prior vehicle was in the shop, I caught an employee stealing my radar detector with the dashcam...approaching from the back, and then doing the deed. I agree to get the biggest fastest card you can so you can record the highest quality and framerate video. This become critical when you are trying to ID license plates. My wife was hit and then they ran. We were able to ID the license plate and provide it to the police.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
What is your overall impression after a month?
So far so good, my biggest complaint about it is there is not an easy way to see if it is on. There are indicator lights that are recessed in the bottom of the bezel but, you can't see them unless you crane you neck under the mirror. If it's not too bright out, you can place your hand under it and see the blinking blue light off your hand. They need to relocate a subtle light so the driver can see it at glance or add an audio cue such as the one I have in a cheap $50 dash cam I bought for my Focus I commute with.

The other annoyance is wireless android auto has to be disabled at the head unit otherwise, it constantly turns bluetooth and wireless back on (even if turned off at the phone) and overrides the connection to the camera if you trying to work with the app. But, once you have everything set up, you don't really need to access the app that often anyway.

Overall I am pleased with how it operates and how seamlessly it integrates with the truck. I would definitely purchase again and I am hoping they will have one available for the wife's Durango soon.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I just upgraded to the Thinkware U3000 front and rear set up with their 256GB card as well.

The imaging is night and day far more clear and detailed vs. the Momento M7 that was just replaced with this new Thinkware set up. Also, I realize I went from 2K front and 1080P rear to a 4K front and 2K rear.

What I like is the easy way it all connects up with the touch of a button.
The M7 I could only view on the screen and it was a bit cumbersome.
Now I can view everything on my phone.

Tx210boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
A friend just had a very close call on the highway when he had to steer almost all the way into the gravel shoulder to avoid a headon with a wreckless driver that was passing multiple cars around a bend in the road. We both decided getting a dash cam would be a good idea. Send that video to Highway Patrol and have an Officer go out and pound on his door!

Anyone here with knowledge on the best for the money dash cams to purchase?

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So far so good, my biggest complaint about it is there is not an easy way to see if it is on. There are indicator lights that are recessed in the bottom of the bezel but, you can't see them unless you crane you neck under the mirror. If it's not too bright out, you can place your hand under it and see the blinking blue light off your hand. They need to relocate a subtle light so the driver can see it at glance or add an audio cue such as the one I have in a cheap $50 dash cam I bought for my Focus I commute with.

The other annoyance is wireless android auto has to be disabled at the head unit otherwise, it constantly turns bluetooth and wireless back on (even if turned off at the phone) and overrides the connection to the camera if you trying to work with the app. But, once you have everything set up, you don't really need to access the app that often anyway.

Overall I am pleased with how it operates and how seamlessly it integrates with the truck. I would definitely purchase again and I am hoping they will have one available for the wife's Durango soon.
Hey do you have any pic or vid example of the recording your able to share keeping your privacy of course just been looking to possibly install this on my 2023 classic 1500 . But I’m torn on how it will work as I and my fiancé love the Apple car play feature for our phones for wireless connectivity . So is the Bluetooth jsut an issue when In the app?

I started a separate thread before I found. This one as I’m set on the fitcam as of recent reviews but looking for all us/the ram guys who have it review ;)

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still use an $8 crapper from Walmart. Had it for about 8 years now, in one of my vehicles. I am one cheap ******* :) Replaced the card with a bigger capacity... ugly wire hanging down powered by 12 volt outlet. Watch the youtube reviews.

skates15

Reaction score
I still use an $8 crapper from Walmart. Had it for about 8 years now, in one of my vehicles. I am one cheap ******* :) Replaced the card with a bigger capacity... ugly wire hanging down powered by 12 volt outlet. Watch the youtube reviews.
Hero! My attitude when I retire.