Best Mods for Under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What’s with this mod? It doesn’t come with the cabin filter? What kind of difference does it make?

2017+ came with the cutout and cover behind the glove box. Some report a filter being there, others report the filter was missing.

Before 2017's there was no cutout for the filter, but with a knife you can mod it to allow a filter to be inserted and cover to snap over it. Took me about one quick order from Amazon (filter and cover) and 15 minutes to cut/install.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL...I can see me doing that. And then when I get used to it, drop the hell out of a friend's tailgate at some point... :eek:

Well, this weekend, with my hands full, I asked my 14yo son to open the tailgate for me. *BOOM* "Sorry dad, mom has one of those tailgate thingys on her work truck"

Ordered my assist today.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are those the only ones that pop out?

Yes. The vents in the center of the dash are integrated into the center console. I didn't do much trial & error, but I'm pretty sure that is all that pops off fairly easy.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been bored looking for some cheap stuff to do... Stumbled upon wish.com based on comments on this thread. May pick up some Dodge logo valve stem caps and latch covers for ***** and giggles. Also tempted to pull the trigger on a knock off trijicon ACOG scope for my ACR for $160

I'd be very wary about stem caps- unless they're plastic threads. I bought a used vehicle once that had 3rd party caps, and when I went to put air in one, discovered that 2 of the 4 had seized due to galvanic corrosion. The bigger problem was that they were TPMS stems and had to be replaced at $75/per.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Roll up mattress pad. When the wife finds out how much I'm spending in mods, I'll be able to sleep in the truck bed. o_O

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sleeping...75035&wl11=online&wl12=54777284&wl13=&veh=sem
open

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Added multiple led lights in rear of CC, tapping into factory harness.. used the 8 pod led lights for bed lighting from auto zone. $26 and 2 beers. Still have to tuck excess wires away when im done testing that the spacing is what I want. These come with screw holes n center of quad LEDs and screws for secure mount.1f7c87fd304fe207386d975c5d5e0b2e.jpg026427c8a12c1741ba785f2ed10fc920.jpg

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'd be very wary about stem caps- unless they're plastic threads. I bought a used vehicle once that had 3rd party caps, and when I went to put air in one, discovered that 2 of the 4 had seized due to galvanic corrosion. The bigger problem was that they were TPMS stems and had to be replaced at $75/per.

Spray some Fluid Film in them before you put them on. It's kept the decorative caps on mine from seizing.

-K

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Great advice. It’s why I keep ugly black plastic up here we get lots of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theAZnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I did 3rd Brake light Seal and Lasfit 921 LED bulb install just to get it off my list of to do's. I watched a you tube video on the seal fix and it was easy. Home Depot had the MD auto & Marine Rubber Weather Seal for under $8.00

I had to spend some time scraping and rolling off the old seal sticky stuff with my fingers but not to bad. The old seal was still a bit foamy type rubber and would break down in the future I would guess. I ended moving up the bottom edge of the new seal strip so the bottom of it lined up straighter following th elower edge of the light housing.Leaky 3rd Brake Light Seal MOD (1).jpg Leaky 3rd Brake Light Seal MOD (2).jpg Leaky 3rd Brake Light Seal MOD (3).jpg Leaky 3rd Brake Light Seal MOD (4).jpg LASFIT 921 Canbus White & Red LED Bulbs For 3rd Brake Light & Cargo Lights (Package FrontsS).jpg

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is this factory harness? Do they come on with the approach lights and the dome light at switch?
They were Christmas tree clipped to the frame of rear seats, outboard. Raise seat and look almost to rear of frame. My pix showed it unclipped, sitting loose as I had just tapped into it and not re mounted it. They come on with all interior lights, front footwell, map and dome.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
They were Christmas tree clipped to the frame of rear seats, outboard. Raise seat and look almost to rear of frame. My pix showed it unclipped, sitting loose as I had just tapped into it and not re mounted it. They come on with all interior lights, front footwell, map and dome.

Just a note, not all trucks have the wires hooked up to this connector, it depends on your trim level. the high levels will have wires in and out and the lights already on the bottom of the rear seat. Lower trim levels will not have the wires coming out and may or may not have the wires coming in (depends on which harness they used on your truck when it was built.) My truck, for example, has the connectors, but no wires in or out. Others with an Express have the wires going in.

-K

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a note, not all trucks have the wires hooked up to this connector, it depends on your trim level. the high levels will have wires in and out and the lights already on the bottom of the rear seat. Lower trim levels will not have the wires coming out and may or may not have the wires coming in (depends on which harness they used on your truck when it was built.) My truck, for example, has the connectors, but no wires in or out. Others with an Express have the wires going in.

-K
Good point!!! ,thanks. I have a 2014 big horn CC with wires going in and empty plug on the end.. no out harness.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Created a poor man's light bar uunder tailgate.. left over trim from vertical blind upgrade. Painted top and bottom and 2 rolls of red reflector tape from lowes. 2 stainless steel license plate screws and hardware from auto zone. Best if all, low maintenance, no LEDs to burn out. Total cost, <$6. 6267b53824cc38ae1f1ec8be77e8c300.jpg8b82392c83e9e023a19e724adb48151b.jpg2cb2b98594f94cce5106be9941e10960.jpg

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just saw this thread again. Thought I would add something I put together. Not talking OEM fit and finish, but it works great and I love it. My phone has wireless fast charging and I wanted to add it and found a few things on Amazon.

Couldn't find a DC to USB adapter that would supply the voltage for fast charging so I got another cigarette outlet and tapped the wires in the center console outlet for power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8WLW2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then picked up one of these cigarette port rapid chargers. Has an extra fast charge port so I ran a 2nd USB cable out the passenger side of the console, so my son can fast charge as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KJ57Q1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I got a fast charge wireless charging pad and set it in the front bin on a silicone grip mat. There's actually factory slot above that bin so I just slid the cable through.

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Wir...437212&sr=8-9&keywords=choetech+fast+wireless

I ran it a couple weeks like this, so I could make sure it worked OK with the heat from the day building up in the truck etc. Works great! Picked up some little round Velcro dots I'm going to mount to the bottom corners to hold it in place and also lift it another 1/4 inch so more air circulates because it gets warm fast charging. Best part is - I'm the only one with wireless charging so it's allllll mine! 20180827_124831.jpg