Best oil and filter for new 2022 6.7 Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My dealership I'm purchasing this truck from uses Mopar products regarding maintenance for my truck. (Dodge / Ram) I hear I'm using synthetic oil. My odometer reads 4000 miles. Oil is black and I'm thinking of getting the oil changed before 7500 miles. I'm curious if I should go about the oil change with Mopar, or possibly purchasing the oil I've researched online to use for the oil change rather than Mopar products? If i purchase the oil, will the dealership use it for my oil change? My truck is nice and its my first heavy-duty truck. So I'm looking into reliable parts and service recommendations. Do any of you diesel owners recommend the Shell Rotella and Fleetguaurd filters for this brand new truck? Thanks for your advice in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-183355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220807-183355_Chrome.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220807-183303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220807-183303_Chrome.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Fleetguard is Cummins filter brand.
Cummins also recommends Valvoline Super Blue full synthetic oil but you can't go wrong with any of the big name diesel oils: Mobil Delvac, Rotella T6, Delo 400 XPS, Amsoil, etc.
As for the oil being black, it's a diesel the oil is going to be black. If your concerned about the oil condition, pull a sample and have it analyzed.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed with what was said above. I haven't had a diesel for a few years now, but the fleetguard stratapore is what I always used. Rotella 5w-40 is also what I used. I think viscosity might be different now because of the hydraulic lifters though.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think viscosity might be different now because of the hydraulic lifters though.
For the +'19 CTD engines Ram says to use 10W-30 unless the temperature is below 0°F then to run 5W-40 full synthetic. A lot of guys have been running 5W-40 full synthetic in all years of the 6.7 CTD year round.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
IMHO the best oil filter is the 15 micron Donaldson BDL 7349 / ELF 7349 available for $55.00 for 3 filters that's only $18.34 each: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5VB8T...colid=VV4YUWM8TMNA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
If your dead set on using Fleetguard Genos has them for $14.95 each plus shipping : https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fleetguard-lf16035-oil-filter/oil-filters AS for oil any of the name brand Rotella T6, Mobil Delvac, Amsoil, Valvoline, no matter what brand you use do your self a favor and only use Synthetic oil IMHO it will hold up better then Dino oil and yea you can use 5w40 year round, btw many 6.7L owners who have used and are using 5w40 synthetic oil in 6.7 CTD including my self in my 2022 CTD...

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Black oil in a diesel is expected. Change the oil and filter and run it to check for leaks….oil will be black. Nature of the beast

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here is most of the shelf diesel oils and voa's of them. Spec's constantly change, and for the diesel world the last spec made the old top oils delvac and roteella and made them similar to the field. Of note you can see moly levels, delo has great moly but is not synthetic. Perfect for that short interval you were talking about. Valv blue also looks great and is synthetic. Don't worry about black oil in diesels at all, but you can send in for a used oil analysis and they will tell you how your truck is running and how the oil held up. I like blackstone labs for my UOA's.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Here is most of the shelf diesel oils and voa's of them. Spec's constantly change, and for the diesel world the last spec made the old top oils delvac and roteella and made them similar to the field. Of note you can see moly levels, delo has great moly but is not synthetic. Perfect for that short interval you were talking about. Valv blue also looks great and is synthetic. Don't worry about black oil in diesels at all, but you can send in for a used oil analysis and they will tell you how your truck is running and how the oil held up. I like blackstone labs for my UOA's.
I know you have more oil knowledge than most of us on here... probably combined! :D Have you ever heard of TRIAX FLEET SUPREME ESP CK-4 Full Synthetic? It gets great reviews, but I know how those can get skewed at times. They cater more to semi's & construction equipment, but from what I have read about it, I would like to run it in my pickup. Maybe give their website a look if you get time.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Again on the newer gen cummins, the oil has changed to the 5w-40 synthetic, and I always use mopar filters for warranty purposes. I never reach the 15K miles a year oil change interval, so I have mine changed at the dealer once a year.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know you have more oil knowledge than most of us on here... probably combined! :D Have you ever heard of TRIAX FLEET SUPREME ESP CK-4 Full Synthetic? It gets great reviews, but I know how those can get skewed at times. They cater more to semi's & construction equipment, but from what I have read about it, I would like to run it in my pickup. Maybe give their website a look if you get time.
I have heard of them and thanks to the new diesel specs I even prefer it against the big names in diesel oil. CK4 turned diesel oil quality upside down, now if a jug has ck4 know that it will be close to other ck4 jugs, however a couple of "smaller" guys triax and valvoline added more moly and titans like rotella went to low moly. If I still had a cummins I would look at lowering to the oci similar to gas engines oci's because of ck4, back in the day you would run diesel oil twice as long safely. I would run triax, and I'd prefer it to big name diesel oils.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Fleetguard Stratapore or Donaldson Blue filters. Over nearly 68K miled on my dearly departed '19 I tried Rotella T6, Delo, and Delvac, all in 5W40 synthetic. It was quietest on Delo, with Delvac a close second. Mobil tends to have the best rebates, so it got mostly Delvac. The good thing is, unlike a fussy Hemi, the Cummins really doesn't care. It's splitting hairs.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Fleetguard Stratopore and Valvoline 15w40 dino oil. 193K on the odometer. Change oil & filter every 7500, fuel filter every 15000 & air filter every 30000 miles. Fleetguard for the fuel filters and Mopar OEM for the air filter. Diesels like 3 things for long life; clean air, clean fuel and clean oil.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
This subject seems to create controversy and confusion. Modern oils are really good. There are many to chose from, just go with synthetic 10w30 in the new diesels or 5w40 for cold weather. Mopar or Fleetguard filters. Use oil made for diesels.
The change intervals recommendations are all over the place. Lots of people have a hangover from the old days when oils wore out quickly. Now they don't. The manual say 15,000 or 12 months. The oil life indicator is a good gauge of how long you can go. My dealer suggested 10k or 20% of oil life left. Of course diesel oil is going to be black. Do what makes you comfortable but realize you don't "need to" change your oil at 3k or 5k miles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

My self would have to see 8-10 UOAs and talk personally to those who have used in their pickup's over the course of several years before using it...