Best way to wash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Local Car Wash!:cheers: It's illegal to wash your car/truck in your driveway here (only place I have to wash it) so no choice there.

Illegal to wash your car, but a safe haven for illegals.

Maybe it'd be ok to have an illegal wash your truck in the driveway?

I do t know that I would be ok not being able to wash my own vehicles in my driveway!

SoCal Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Illegal to wash your car, but a safe haven for illegals.

Maybe it'd be ok to have an illegal wash your truck in the driveway?

I do t know that I would be ok not being able to wash my own vehicles in my driveway!
LOL, that is pretty much the case at the car wash, but at least I can't get a ticket or deported.

You still can wash it at home, just don't do it in the driveway. If you have a lawn big enough than you're good to go. Just wash it on the lawn.:shakehead:
That's what I was told when I called about the issue.

In all reality it's a good law for the LA area. All the water here is pumped in. It's a water waste issue. If the excess is going into your lawn, OK. Down the drain, NO GOOD. Just need to make good use of it, or at least what they say is good use of it. I don't make the rules but again, it's does seem logical for this area.

I'd use the car-wash anyways. With my bad knees and other injuries the price is more than worth it. I could never do as good of a job and it would take me hours to do not as good of a job.

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What do you guys use for drying? I have a leather shammy, and it leaves little flakes of the leather on the vehicle after drying. It's weird. Looks like dust on it. It's not stuck on or anything, but if I am going to wax it, I need those little flakes off of it so I don't scratch the clear coat.

SO maybe a microfiber or something? I'll wait for an answer before washing again.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
What do you guys use for drying? I have a leather shammy, and it leaves little flakes of the leather on the vehicle after drying. It's weird. Looks like dust on it. It's not stuck on or anything, but if I am going to wax it, I need those little flakes off of it so I don't scratch the clear coat.

SO maybe a microfiber or something? I'll wait for an answer before washing again.

Our Great White Drying Towels will change the way you feel about drying your truck.

;)

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2 things on drying:
If you have it sealed and waxed, it'll practically dry itself. I noticed that yesterday because only the bed and roof of my truck are all sealed and waxed, what a difference!

I personally use an Absorber, works great for me. It certainly isn't the most ideal for the finish, but it works damned well, and I own it. Maybe in the future I'll try something like the above.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Absorbers are great for drying dogs, cleaning up spills and general drying. I used to use them solely when washing boats but after a little use, they wouldn't completely dry the surface which meant windows had to be touched up. They ARE a great tool in the arsenal though.

The Adams Great White is an amazingly absorbent towel that channels away minor dirt due to its design.

Best thing to use though is a blow dryer. I personally have the Sidekick which works AMAZINGLY well at getting all the trapped water out as well as the large surfaces. Once done with that, I spray the vehicle with Adams Waterless Wash to insulate the paint from any dust and dry with a "Great White" towel.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 bucket wash with Duragloss, Megs Gold Class, or Surf City wash - 2 HD grout sponges, 5' fiberglass step ladder, waterfall rinse, and Absorber XL for drying -- while spritzing with AquaWax.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
Pinnacle bodywork shampoo, flood rinse, and metro vac master blaster to dry. Jambs and any excess moisture i get with a Griots Garage waffle towel...those waffle towels are a tremendously wonderful towel to have, no matter what the brand :)

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Alright, I'll have to pick up a pair and give them run. Couldn't be any more frustrating than that leather shammy I currently use. I assume it comes with care instructions for washing and storage etc...

Trust me, you'll LOVE them. I've never heard anyone complain. They're also not your normal "waffle" towels. They're also NOT made in China like most.

Unfortunately NO ONE produces MF in the U.S. so they go to South Korea which is probably the best seeing as they pay their people a fair wage.

Remember, USE YOUR FORUM CODE for 10% off your order and keep an eye on daily specials! You can use your forum code with the special which saves some coin!

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Trust me, you'll LOVE them. I've never heard anyone complain. They're also not your normal "waffle" towels. They're also NOT made in China like most.

Unfortunately NO ONE produces MF in the U.S. so they go to South Korea which is probably the best seeing as they pay their people a fair wage.

Remember, USE YOUR FORUM CODE for 10% off your order and keep an eye on daily specials! You can use your forum code with the special which saves some coin!

All great advice! I wouldn't have even thought about a forum code until you just mentioned it. AWESOME!!!! I always knew it was there, but sometimes you just gotta point out the obvious to people like me ha ha. THanks again.

Last edited:

Bronco628

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adams great white towels work well for me. They hold more water than brands I have tried so far. I am sure there are others that are good, just came upon adams first. I spray their revitalizer spray before wash to pre treat and rub out and pour a couple cap fulls in and they come back out white.

I use those with a griots water DI car wash tank which does help with spots when drying.

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Huh, I guess I'll be the first to not really approve of the towels. I tried them today, and I need WAY more than just 2, but that's expensive... ugh.

First of all, they left a haze on the areas that are dry. My leather shammy doesn't. I don't know what the difference is, but leather leaves it nice and streak free, these towels I used from Adams did not leave it shiny after a wash. I had to go over the panels again with soap and water and dry them with a leather shammy again and that got them spotless.

I don't know if I did something wrong, but how can anyone use a towel the wrong way? It doesn't seem possible. Unless you have to wash them BEFORE you even dry your vehicle. I don't know. I took them out of the plastic baggie they came in, and went straight to washing my truck. I also have other issues with Adams Polishes customer service, but thats not for this thread. Seems I wasted money on this one.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Huh, I guess I'll be the first to not really approve of the towels. I tried them today, and I need WAY more than just 2, but that's expensive... ugh.

First of all, they left a haze on the areas that are dry. My leather shammy doesn't. I don't know what the difference is, but leather leaves it nice and streak free, these towels I used from Adams did not leave it shiny after a wash. I had to go over the panels again with soap and water and dry them with a leather shammy again and that got them spotless.

I don't know if I did something wrong, but how can anyone use a towel the wrong way? It doesn't seem possible. Unless you have to wash them BEFORE you even dry your vehicle. I don't know. I took them out of the plastic baggie they came in, and went straight to washing my truck. I also have other issues with Adams Polishes customer service, but thats not for this thread. Seems I wasted money on this one.

Towels should always be washed before their initial use, but I'm not sure if that's the basis of your issue here.

A chamois is perfectly capable of drying any vehicle, but drying it safely without induing swirls/scratches into the finish is where a waffle weave microfiber shines over the chamois. The pockets in the towels allow any dist/grit you may have missed when washing to be trapped inside the towel, reducing the risk of swirls. The chamois, being a flat surface, doesn't give you that added insurance.

I'm a little confused when you say they didn't leave your paint shiny after use? Drying towels are purpose-made to dry the surface, not give any gloss to the paint.

Were you using them folded or unfolded? Did you do a sheet/pool rinse before you started drying? Are you using Detail Spray as a drying agent?

Just a few questions that came to mind. Our Great White towel is very popular, and for good reason. I feel like there may be something working against you when you're drying and I want to help you figure out your issues here so you can get the most out of the towel.

Also, our 110% Guarantee is always in effect. If you aren't happy with anything we offer, we will take it back plus kick you 10% extra for the trouble.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yep, I can use one towel for my truck if I really push it, two EASILY, but you HAVE to wash them first. It's like a new shirt. You put it on and sweat it in and the sweat just kind of beads off and it's really annoying, but once you wash it, it absorbs it like a sponge.

Sheet/pool rinse is your friend here! It really makes the towels go a long way. As Nick also stated, using a detail spray when drying really makes the paint POP and IMO makes drying easier too.

Chamois and absorbers work fine, but they also grind any dust or dirt left over into the paint.

Nick, you should talk to Dylan and Adam about maybe putting a blurb about that on the card the bag is stapled to. Something like "for best performance, wash and dry before use" if it doesn't already.

For those not in the know, NEVER wash MF towels with any other type of material. MF with MF and ONLY with MF. Personally, I hang dry all my MF. When washing, don't use detergent with softener in it. Less is more here so the unscented stuff is best. I use Adams MF detergent. A little goes a long way and it really cleans out the waxes and such much better too.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nick,
While I do not use your products, I do appreciate reading your response to the member that was having trouble with the towels you'all sell. Fewer and fewer vendors seem to much care about problems once their product has left their door. Your willingness to help is a "breath of fresh air" when it comes to dealing with vendors. You and Matt at Moe's could teach many people lessons about customer service.
Jay

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Nick,
While I do not use your products, I do appreciate reading your response to the member that was having trouble with the towels you'all sell. Fewer and fewer vendors seem to much care about problems once their product has left their door. Your willingness to help is a "breath of fresh air" when it comes to dealing with vendors. You and Matt at Moe's could teach many people lessons about customer service.
Jay

Adams goes above and beyond in most instances. What Nick does, comes from the top down. I literally have Adam Pitale's cell phone number in my contacts and if I called him with an issue, he'd call me back. No kidding. He takes what he does VERY seriously and he's the type of guy that likes to help.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adams goes above and beyond in most instances. What Nick does, comes from the top down. I literally have Adam Pitale's cell phone number in my contacts and if I called him with an issue, he'd call me back. No kidding. He takes what he does VERY seriously and he's the type of guy that likes to help.

I have heard nothing but good things about these products. I am thinking of getting the exterior car essential kit myself. It comes with everything you need to make the exterior shiny and new!! I'm hoping it keeps my 2013 white sport looking shiny

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have heard nothing but good things about these products. I am thinking of getting the exterior car essential kit myself. It comes with everything you need to make the exterior shiny and new!! I'm hoping it keeps my 2013 white sport looking shiny

It's all I use on my white sport!

Watching their vids and surfing their forum REALLY helps too.