Big Three Comparison for 2011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
Note, there is no order to this AT ALL. Just some random thoughts that have been running through my head the last two days.

Over the last few days, I have had the opportunity to drive a couple different models lines of trucks that are in competition with our Rams.

I have a family member who is in the market for a new one ton truck, so out of curiosity, I decided to see if Ford and GM would allow me to drive their trucks. I know, it was more of a joy ride type of situation, but I did indeed want to compare the three now that Ford has their new motors on the table only because their 6.2 and their 3.6 eco boost had my curiosity up. As some of you know, my current truck is a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L 4x4, with 3.92 gearing.

The first truck I drove was a 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ with the 5.3L. I am unsure of the gearing, but I believe that it was was higher than the standard 3.11:1 that they offer. I will give props to GM for taking the LTZ's interior up a notch. It is fairly pretty, but it still feels quite "plasticy" It seemed that everything I touched was a plastic coated plastic something or another, and I really don't like that feel. I will grant though that all the big three's interiors feel just about the same right now.

When it came to the ride of the truck, all I could think about was how soft it was. It felt like I was riding in Grandmother's Caddy the way it floats down the road. The motor, while I know it's outdated, simply cannot perform to the same standards that Dodge and Ford has produced. If you've ever driven a car or truck and floored noting how you were making all the noise in the world, yet just didn't seem to be getting anywhere fast, then you know exactly where I'm coming from. For the price and the cost, I simply cannot see where you're getting your money's worth. You can record though that I am not a large GM fan. I haven't liked their trucks since the mid 90's and even then they weren't that great compared to what other vehicles were being offered.

Next we went to Ford. The first truck I drove was the new F-350 with the 6.7L diesel, but I will not be talking about that truck until I have had some seat time in GM's option for the HD line and Dodge's. After I was done with the one ton, I then test drove a Ford Lariat with the 3.6L V6 ecoboost system. This is the motor that really has been spiking my interest since I have always been a fan of forced induction in the regard of engine longevity, and sheer power that can be made from it. I was really looking to be amazed with this truck; hoping to feel what others have been raving about in the Taurus and the Mustang. Knowing that the truck version of this motor wouldn't be quite as untamed, I still expected better than I saw and felt. I am not quite sure what Ford has that motor tuned to in terms of what PSI the twin turbos are putting out, but I can tell you that you really can't hear them, and you really can't feel when they kick in and out. Comparing the motor to the 5.3 from GM, I feel that the V6 completely and 100% out performs GM's offering at this point and time. (5.3 only) I don't have a lot to say about the 6.2 that Ford is offering as well. It did indeed to seem to have the power, but to me, it feels that Ford has decided to be conservative about how much of that power dissipates in the drivetrain. Overall, compared to both the power and the fuel economy of the 5.7, I still feel that the Hemi is on top in this category. Even if on paper the Ford is making best power out of the three, Dodge has been able to get what feels to me, more power to the road than the other two do. The only place that the 6.2 seems to really shine is in higher gears when the 5.3 and the 5.7 seem to fall on their faces.

As for the interior, I would rank both trucks about the same in terms of quality with a slight edge given to the Ford. Which I only dole out because of the console shift option. Speaking of, I don't know how many of you have noticed, but I do seem to feel that Ford went an interesting route with the shifter build. Trying to mimic a pistol grip design just didn't feel right to me, but I'm sure that some people love it. There is a seemingly tough or work truck feel to the overall build of the Ford though. In terms of ride, the Ford is indeed the stiffest of all three trucks. Whether or not this is a good thing is entirely up to you. Personally, I thought the ride was a little too stiff for a half ton, but for those that need to tow the 10K that these trucks are rated for, I would think they would appreciate the differences.

As a little side note, I stand 6'3 and weigh in at 275 right now. Most of my height comes from my torso and up instead of leg length, so I need some head room. When I sit in both the Ford and the Chevy trucks, with the seat ALL the way down as far as it goes AND the seat reclined back as much as I can tolerate, my head still physically touches the ceiling of the truck at all times. Something that I find overly annoying. In the ram, I do not have this issue. I thought I would when the 4th gen ram came out considering that they chopped nearly two inches off the roof line, but with the seat low but not all the way down and the seat back almost erect; my head still clears the ceiling by a good inch or more. Which I can live with.

When it comes down to it, I feel that if you are looking for a truck that is capable of towing 10,000 pounds easily and one that looks like a truck and not a sporty rendition of what trucks used to be, then Ford is probably for you. If you find yourself asking the question," I don't know when or if I'll ever tow and or haul" then the Dodge is going to be your option I would think. For me, I was more interested in ride, cornering and overall looks than I was sheer performance in stock form. I know, these trucks are not performance minded at all, but if I can take a corner at 60MPH where I would have to slow to 45-50MPH in the Ford, then it is indeed worth it in my book. As for the GM option, I can't think of one area that it outshines what Ford and Dodge have on the table right now. They lack the power, they lack the looks, and they lack the capabilities of the Ram and the F150.

At any rate, I am glad that I took the time to drive the other two trucks. It makes me feel that I made the right choice overall concerning my needs. I don't need to tow and I don't need to haul anything. I have two other trucks that I can have access to at any time I need them so it's a null issue for me. My main reason for picking this truck up was looks, safety, and my own personal preference for driving a large vehicle over a small car.

I know I've posted a book here, but this is just random observations that I've had and I know that I'm not the only one that has been questioning themselves about their decision to buy that they bought, or people who are on the fence about what to get.

With this in mind, if you like what you read, then stay tuned because I am hoping to have the HD line comparison done by Sunday.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i love the way my tahoe ltz rides so smooth. nice review

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Cool man, interesting to see how our trucks rate verses some of the other manufacturers trucks. I definately wanna try test driving that ecoboost. See if it's really what they say it is.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good one Chris. I actually enjoyed reading the book. Lol can't wait for the hd comparison.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Good right up, and I look foward to hearing your reviews on the HDs coming up. All 3 are making good power out the box and all you need is a trans and tune to make some seriously strong power in an HD.

OP
OP
Laramie1997

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
I am glad you guy's enjoyed it. I know I did enjoy comparing the three.

KG, it's a different game out there right now. There are two groups of people associated with the Cummins diesel motor right now. Those who hate it, and those who love it. The deciding factor right now is between those who do and do not tune their trucks.

Oddly, you would think that those who have chipped are the ones who love their trucks, but this is not the case. The only real chips out right now for that 6.7 is from Smarty and they pull ALL torque control from the transmission to make their power. The problem is that when you do this, the HD transmission can't handle the torque that the motor makes and you'll find yourself in debt another $8,000 for a rebuilt trans.

It's the people who have not tuned that love these trucks. They throw anything they want behind them and take off like it's nothing. This is a problem considering that Dodge is a little more than 100HP behind the curve when looking at Ford.

I know people with the new Fords are having their own issues right now too though. For one, people cannot tune them right now with out buying a separate computer. So anytime you need to take the truck in for service, you not only have to remove the chip, but you also have to put your factor PCM and ECM back in or Ford will KNOW that you were chipped. Even then it is a risk considering that they will look at engine hours and when they don't match, you have some splaining to do.

All in all, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Dodge and the Chevy tomorrow. Supposed to be a balmy 60 tomorrow so the pavement will be good and warm compared to what it has been.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
you hit your head? thats lame. I am 6'2" as well - truck with a sunroof, no problems. :D Guess I won't go look at a Chebby or a Ferd (not that I was thinkin of it!)

OP
OP
Laramie1997

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
It's insane dude. I have the sunroof in my ram and I still don't have issues. The other two did not have the sun roofs and I still hit my head on them. Just flat WRONG.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Great write up Laramie can you please go test drive the brand new cummins revision that is coming or maybe already out where you live I would love to hear about it as it shows big gains with 350 hp I think and 800 in-ft torque at only 1600 RPM

Sent from my Verizon iPhone
$miley

xxxotiknightz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good review. I looked at all of the big 3 before I bought mine. The ford and chevy didn't have the look or the feel I wanted. Plus I never could get a ford or chevy dealer to acknowledge my exsistence.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Good review. I looked at all of the big 3 before I bought mine. The ford and chevy didn't have the look or the feel I wanted. Plus I never could get a ford or chevy dealer to acknowledge my exsistence.

that is very odd. I can't go to a dealer's lot to look at something without someone immediately coming out(unless its on a Sunday) Before they even get to me I yell "i'm just looking" When they turn around and leave me alone I respect them....when they still come up anyway i ignore them and leave.

OP
OP
Laramie1997

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
Great write up Laramie can you please go test drive the brand new cummins revision that is coming or maybe already out where you live I would love to hear about it as it shows big gains with 350 hp I think and 800 in-ft torque at only 1600 RPM

Sent from my Verizon iPhone
$miley

I'm hoping that I'll get my hands on the new one sometime this weekend. My dad is looking to buy a Laramie Longhorn and I'm waiting on a dealer to get one in stock.

I've test drove the F-350 but I need to get my hands on the Dodge as well.

cmerritt84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ive had 2 crew cab silverados. one was an 06 and one a 08. very carlike handling but reminded me of a honda ridgeline. a wanna be truck with a bed