Bigger brakes for rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious is there a reasonable price option of putting bigger calipers on the rear of a 02 1500? They look pretty darn small compared to front and was considering maybe upgrading of the price was reasonable.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You do not really want too much more braking in the rear. What you want is more in the front. This is why (like my truck for example) some trucks have ABS in just the rear. If you lock up the rear, it will fishtail.

If you feel you want more braking, I would look for better front brakes.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know on the LX cars they sell covers that bolt over the calipers. This would give the appearance of larger calipers without needing to replace. 80% of the braking is due to the front calipers anyway since the weight shifts forward when you apply them. If I were looking for better braking performance, I'd start in the front.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the look of how much smaller they are from the front is what really bothers me lol. Braking has been not to bad, I'm due for pads I believe and want to change the whole brake fluid at same time..thanks guys for the replies!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the look of how much smaller they are from the front is what really bothers me lol. Braking has been not to bad, I'm due for pads I believe and want to change the whole brake fluid at same time..thanks guys for the replies!

Yeah, don't worry about the look of the disc size. It is smaller for a reason, and balanced. If you upgrade your rear without upgrading the front, you will upset the balance of braking, risking fishtailing during heavy braking.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea we don't want fish tailing lol...well new info for me!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah they don't need to be larger relative to the fronts, bulk of the weight is up front that's why fronts are always larger. If you upgrade to something bigger, either front and rear balanced or front only. Like this:

IMAG2038_zpsx2jynbvk.jpg~original

IMAG2037_zpszrgqvcdx.jpg~original

THE HEMI MAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah they don't need to be larger relative to the fronts, bulk of the weight is up front that's why fronts are always larger. If you upgrade to something bigger, either front and rear balanced or front only. Like this:

IMAG2038_zpsx2jynbvk.jpg~original

IMAG2037_zpszrgqvcdx.jpg~original

Were did u get those. Me likey!!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you paint those rotors black or did they come like that? How well does it hold the color? I hate how the top edges of the rotors and the hub gets that nasty rust color and always thought about painting them.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Were did u get those. Me likey!!

SRT-10 Ram brakes. 05-06 fixed 4 piston front, large 2 piston slider rear (the rears are bigger than my original front brakes). First time I bedded the pads in I about launched myself through the windshield.

Did you paint those rotors black or did they come like that? How well does it hold the color? I hate how the top edges of the rotors and the hub gets that nasty rust color and always thought about painting them.

Power Stop (used to be Power Slot) rotors, came with the paint/coating. holds up ok on the edges and hub, but eventually heat and weather wears it off, just prolongs the inevitable.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SRT-10 Ram brakes. 05-06 fixed 4 piston front, large 2 piston slider rear (the rears are bigger than my original front brakes). First time I bedded the pads in I about launched myself through the windshield.

Power Stop (used to be Power Slot) rotors, came with the paint/coating. holds up ok on the edges and hub, but eventually heat and weather wears it off, just prolongs the inevitable.

Is that an actual srt10 or did you convert it to srt10 brakes. If you did I would like to know how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is that an actual srt10 or did you convert it to srt10 brakes. If you did I would like to know how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adaptation. I just have a run of the mill 03 hemi quad cab lol. Just happens to have awesome brakes and better gears. To do what I have done:
Front brakes: you have options, big 2 piston sliders (04) or the bigger 4 piston (05-06), both use the same 15" ginormous rotor. HAVE to get spindles. Good luck with that, generally if you do find them they're $$$$
I got lucky, the calipers were being incorrectly listed on ebay as 04's (I have the 05-06's) so I got the for like $150ish. Asked the guy if he had anything else (his SRT-10 burned to the ground) and he had the spindles which I picked up for another $200. Original install back in 09-10 I got oem style rotors to keep cost down. I also hit up Cleveland PAP for the SRT reg cab coil springs and a set of Bilstein shocks (F&R).

Rears: I ended up getting a quad cab Dana 60 with the brakes for $750 (4.56 & LSD). Bolts in like factory except for necessary custom driveshaft. These brakes do not bolt to the 9.25 rear, though with fab work I'm sure they could be made to work, as Mopar did it with a truck they did for SEMA (google urban ram SEMA). If you do a Dana, make sure you get the quad cab rear and not the reg cab rear. Reg cab rears are undersprung (factory lowered) instead of the spring on top like our trucks. Unless you're lowering it, then you'll be ahead of the game.

Patience is a virtue with something like this unless money is no object. Took me a good long while shopping around and waiting for deals to appear. Car-part.com and ebay will be your best friends.

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct me if iam wrong, but i think the discs in the rear of the Ram are slightly larger than the fronts. When i was researching upgrading my brakes u came across a pdf specs file for 05 dodge rams and it said the front rotors are 13.25" and the rear 13.75" though the rear calipers are smaller.
I also did the dana60 swap. It comes with 14" rotors and dual piston calipers as stated above, but i could not get the SRT10 front calipers as my truck is 4x4 and the spindles are different. So i had a set of custom spindles made. The front setup uses SRT10 15" inch rotors with Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Brembo 6 piston calipers.
20160507_183828_zpsmqursxe1.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Correct me if iam wrong, but i think the discs in the rear of the Ram are slightly larger than the fronts. When i was researching upgrading my brakes u came across a pdf specs file for 05 dodge rams and it said the front rotors are 13.25" and the rear 13.75" though the rear calipers are smaller.
I also did the dana60 swap. It comes with 14" rotors and dual piston calipers as stated above, but i could not get the SRT10 front calipers as my truck is 4x4 and the spindles are different. So i had a set of custom spindles made. The front setup uses SRT10 15" inch rotors with Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Brembo 6 piston calipers.
20160507_183828_zpsmqursxe1.jpg

Stock 1500 rotors are smaller rear than front. From the research I've done, there's no reason you shouldn't have been able to use the SRT spindles. Uses the same exact 1500 hub (same whether 2wd or 4wd), hole and splines and all. How much did custom spindles run you?