bilstein 5100's for lifted truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I am going to be picking these up for my truck soon. Currently have a 3" body lift, and a 6" suspension lift (blocks in the rear). Does anyone know if with the new shocks I would need to modify anything?

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the suspension lift have rear shock relocators? Fronts shouldn't be an issue

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably 4" longer for the the rear. I assume in the front you had a 6" spacer on top of the strut, so you can use a stock replacement up there. Or an adjustable shock for even more lift.

OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably 4" longer for the the rear. I assume in the front you had a 6" spacer on top of the strut, so you can use a stock replacement up there. Or an adjustable shock for even more lift.

Correct. So George, you think I can run the 5100's ok then with my current set up?

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After I asked I remembers you had the nitros on there. When I emailed them about getting the lift, I told them I had bilsteins and would be using them. They never said anything about them not working

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Correct. So George, you think I can run the 5100's ok then with my current set up?

In the front, yes. I would do the 5100 adjustable so you have flexibility for the future.

In the rear, you can NOT run a stock length shock. Remember, you are 4" taller in the rear. That means a stock shock would already be extended an additional 4". Figure a stock shock has 10" of travel (if you're lucky), and that only leaves 5" up and 5" down. You would be using 4" of that travel leaving you with 1" left for extension. They would work great for bottoming out though....

OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the front, yes. I would do the 5100 adjustable so you have flexibility for the future.

In the rear, you can NOT run a stock length shock. Remember, you are 4" taller in the rear. That means a stock shock would already be extended an additional 4". Figure a stock shock has 10" of travel (if you're lucky), and that only leaves 5" up and 5" down. You would be using 4" of that travel leaving you with 1" left for extension. They would work great for bottoming out though....

Hmm..what should I do with the rear? The leaf and shackle set up like you have? Then, I would need a larger block and u bolt right?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be great if someone had a stock shock and could measure it collapsed and extended for us. You could then look for a shock with a 4" longer length both extended and collapsed. Or even greater length if you plan on more lift.

So who has a stock 4wd shock?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm..what should I do with the rear? The leaf and shackle set up like you have? Then, I would need a larger block and u bolt right?

You already have a 4" block in the rear, correct?

A shackle and leaf combo can easily get you another 3-4".

So add the 4" for the block, and the 3-4" additional, and you will need to add 7-8" to the stock shock collpased/extended length to find an appropriate shock.

If you want to stay level, and you add 2" via an adjustable bilstein up front, then swap your 4" block for a 2" block and do the shackle/leaf combo. That leaves you looking for a shock with 6" over the stock collapsed/extended length

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
haha, stock on this site?

Dan you should go with something like this :)
phpnuqzfipm.jpg

OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You already have a 4" block in the rear, correct?

A shackle and leaf combo can easily get you another 3-4".

Correct

So add the 4" for the block, and the 3-4" additional, and you will need to add 7-8" to the stock shock collpased/extended length to find an appropriate shock.

If you want to stay level, and you add 2" via an adjustable bilstein up front, then swap your 4" block for a 2" block and do the shackle/leaf combo. That leaves you looking for a shock with 6" over the stock collapsed/extended length

Gotcha....hmmm well the blocks in the rear are stacked, so I guess I could just remove one of them?

haha, stock on this site?

Dan you should go with something like this :)
phpnuqzfipm.jpg

I'd love to run a full Fox or King set up. They are expensive though.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are bolt on. You just need to find someone that knows the part number. lol

Try calling Trick Trucks Tell them you have a truck with 6" of rear lift (or whatever you're going with) and ask for the appropriate bilstein.