bilstein 5100's for lifted truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Didn't realize in your first post that you were doing the front and rears...

For the front, you are doing adjustable right? And does your truck have a preload spacer or just the strut spacer on the front shocks?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
The preload spacer will come out (and stay out) when you put the front adjustable in, so you might want to keep that in mind when you decide what setting to put the Bilsteins at. You may already know that, but if you don't just wanted to mention it.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why can't you use the preload spacer with the bilsteins?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
All the 4th gen guys with Bilsteins I know take out the preload...not a good idea stacking like that IMO...for instance my strut spacer is 4.5" + 2.8" Bilsteins puts me at 7.3" so I'm sacrificing that extra 1.5" achieved from the preload spacer.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Preload spacer and strut space are 2 different things. The strut spacer sits on top of the shock, the preload spacer sits under the top coil and compresses the spring. A combination of the strut and preload gives you the front 6" on a 6" suspension lift. Only lift I know that doesn't use a preload spacer is Rough Country.

So, what were you thinking of setting the Bilsteins at? You can likely offset most of the lift height you would loose from the preload. On mine, with the Bilsteins set at 2.8" I actually gained only 1.3" since taking out the preload.

Does that make sense?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
On a 6" kit, the strut spacer us usually 4.5" - 5" and the rest of the lift is achieved from the preload spacer.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Preload spacer and strut space are 2 different things. The strut spacer sits on top of the shock, the preload spacer sits under the top coil and compresses the spring. A combination of the strut and preload gives you the front 6" on a 6" suspension lift. Only lift I know that doesn't use a preload spacer is Rough Country.

So, what were you thinking of setting the Bilsteins at? You can likely offset most of the lift height you would loose from the preload. On mine, with the Bilsteins set at 2.8" I actually gained only 1.3" since taking out the preload.

Does that make sense?

You are correct. The adjustable bilsteins basically come with a built in preload spacer that adjusts from the bottom, instead of the top. There is no harm in putting the lift kit preload spacer back in. It's not like you're stacking strut spacers or lift blocks. Also, procomp for 06-08 does not use a preload spacer. In reality, the adjustable bilsteins are just a more attractive version of a preload spacer.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if you want 6" of height in the rear, you need something with
32.5 extended
22 compressed

You could increase the extended length, as long as you take a matching amount out of the compressed length. In effect giving you more travel.

i.e. 34.5 extended 20 compressed for 14" of travel instead of ten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank