Bilstein Clunk When Turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Installed the 5100's at the 2.1 setting along with Zone UCA's and everything went according to plan. Had the alignment done and everything is in spec. Truck rides great, albeit more firm and seems to handle potholes, cracks, uneven lanes, ect. well. My only issue is that when turning going slowly over a bump (i.e. pulling into a driveway that has curb and gutter) I notice a clunk which of course wasn't there when stock. I don't think that's normal for the bil install as I've never heard anyone comment on that. Any ideas what it could be? Say bar end links?? Shouldn't be the ball joints as the uppers are brand new and the lowers only have 9,500 miles on them. Everything seems tight. Washer in the correct location, upper strut mounting nuts are torqued and center nut on bils are torqued to spec.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are your fender gap measurements? Maybe you got the spring isolator clocked wrong? Post some pictures of your knuckles and struts. Look through this thread for some more info. http://www.ramforum.com/threads/coil-springs-rubbing-with-bilsteins.120876/

I don't have any pops after my install. I have just about 500 miles since I installed my zones, bils and ridgegrapplers.

I think you may need to jack the front end up and shaking stuff until you find it. It can be a real pain diagnosing these things!

Does your truck seem to follow the cracks in the road more after the install? That is the only thing I really noticed but I think that is more because of the tires.

OP
OP
B

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Here's some pics with the wheels clocked both ways. I did double check the top nut and it's as tight as I can get it with the allen and pass through socket. FWIW during the install I did compress the spring enough so that I could ensure that the top nut was bottomed out on the threads.

IMG_7147.JPG

IMG_7148.JPG

IMG_7150.JPG

IMG_7151.JPG

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a washer underneath the top nut?

If there is that’s your problem, the washer goes under the tophat not under the nut

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Is there a washer underneath the top nut?

If there is that’s your problem, the washer goes under the tophat not under the nut

No, I made sure it was sitting on the shaft under the tophat.

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
B

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
check sway bar end links also

Do you mean by tightening the nut more? I'm sure how to check if the link is bad. Since you can't really get a torque wrench on this one I just counted threads prior to disassembly of the upper end link nut.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my upper end of the link get tightened till I run out of thread or I get a slight clunk at times .

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can tell exactly what it is but I can't find the thread that shows the picture so I'll try to explain it. There is a stop on the lower control arm, a little nub. When you turn the wheel all the way you can see it. It stops the spindle, if you look you'll see that it's rubbed a little. That is what is causing the noise guaranteed... mine did the same thing when I first installed my bilsteins. It did it for about a week or so and now it doesn't do it anymore. Not sure if you'll get what I'm trying to say but I will post a picture tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Well I torqued the sway bar end link nut to the spec'd 16 ft-lbs after realizing it can be done with the help of my misplaced small torque wrench. Also looked at the knuckle and lower control arm for rubbing. Looks like the lower control arms are okay but appears that there is some minor rubbing on the knuckles. Might very well be the problem as stimpy433 suggested. After torquing the end links I took the truck for a drive down a dirt road with plenty of washboards and pot holes and no clunking noise whatsoever. I didn't try any tight turns though... probably just go back to that same curb that made the clunk the first time and see what happens. Guess it's somewhat assuring that this has happened to others, but dammit I don't want to hear any noise from the front end of a new truck lol.

IMG_7152.JPG IMG_7153.JPG IMG_7154.JPG IMG_7155.JPG

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck did the same thing, alignment shop didn’t torque down one of the UCA bolts all the way so when turning over a bump “some times” the UCA would flex a little at that mounting point and make a “ clunking noise”.

OP
OP
B

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
My truck did the same thing, alignment shop didn’t torque down one of the UCA bolts all the way so when turning over a bump “some times” the UCA would flex a little at that mounting point and make a “ clunking noise”.

I installed the UCA so I know they're good, but it does make me wonder if the LCA cam bolts were fully tightened after the alignment. Read somewhere that that could also make a clunking type noise. Guess I should crawl under there and double check.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just had mine done today, all went well I thought but tonight I happened to go over a speed bump and got the dreaded clunk.

I spoke to the shop prior to install and they were aware of the washer under the top hat deal so I don't think that would be it, so maybe it's something just not fully tightened down?

I will stop by the shop tomorrow and have them double check everything I guess.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Just because they are aware of it, doe snot mean the did not goof up and do it.

Let us know what ends up fixing it, for you. may help another, down the road.

Luck!

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just because they are aware of it, doe snot mean the did not goof up and do it.

Let us know what ends up fixing it, for you. may help another, down the road.

Luck!

I went out and looked down via the engine bay, I'm not seeing any washers from above, which I believe is a good sign. I'll report back tomorrow after I run by the shop.

Mp4eXp6.jpg

jfkHnSD.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
See the top of that bolt?
Seems that not torque that bolt down, properly, because it moves when doing so, is another top reason for clunks.
Best to use a straight thru socket and ratchet, that way one can place an allen wrench thru the socket, to hold bolt in place, while turning the the nut.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OK I will check in the morning, engine was still pretty hot so I didn't want to start reaching down in there, just took the pics :).

It looked like a good amount of thread is showing, but sounds like there should be more? I'll see if there is any movement in the am.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
See the top of that bolt?
Seems that not torque that bolt down, properly, because it moves when doing so, is another top reason for clunks.
Best to use a straight thru socket and ratchet, that way one can place an allen wrench thru the socket, to hold bolt in place, while turning the the nut.

Well we found the issue...

And these are not stock UCAs, they are Procomp. So replacing with different brand.

20180913_090708~01.jpg