Bilsteins at 2.1 front end 4x4 wobble help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys, Just did a set of bilstein 5100's on my 2011 ram 1500 sport 4x4. Set at 2.1" (not maxed). I heard alot of story's about front end vibrations in 4x4 when set to max so I decided to go with 2.1" to limit the chance of issues.

Well,everything is installed correctly. Rides great,looks great. except when I engage 4x4 I get not a vibration so much as it is a harsh "wobble" in the front end especially during acceleration. and if you try to turn the wheel you can hear what I am sure is the cv joint binding/locking up. I only put it in 4x4 for a few moments long enough to check it out after the install and that is what I found and then put it back in 2 wheel. NO GOOD.

I have NOT yet had an alignment done. Standing in front of the truck and looking at it you can visibly see that both front wheels each slightly kick out at the top/in at the bottom....so I am sure it needs an alignment. My question is.....do you think the issue I am having is due to not yet having it aligned?. And do you think the alignment will cure the issue?.

To look at the cv axles themselves they do not appear to be at THAT steep of an angle. and I didnt even max the struts out. guys max these struts out and the majority don't complain of any vibrations let along a wobble or a bind.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!.

get-attachment%2011_zpsxwocus8c.jpg

get-attachment%202_zpsdyprfkur.jpg

get-attachment%203_zpsext6n7pk.jpg

get-attachment%205_zpslxdxhx3g.jpg

0206184281498472_2120927793209966582_o_zpsrcg4oiwl.jpg

690088903966_2622112668315796800_n%201_zpsr0rtwmvh.jpg

get-attachment%2013_zps8sj4rxhj.jpg

IMG_0736_zpshsernqn7.jpg

get-attachment%2014_zpshmskuajr.jpg

IMG_0735_zpsyzv5vsht.jpg

get-attachment%2016_zpsomnj5lrs.jpg

get-attachment%207_zps5v7dxtps.jpg

get-attachment%208_zpsnzadxfrn.jpg

Last edited:

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm pretty sure you most definitely need an alignment. I've had mine at 2.8 for 3 years now. Didn't have any issues in 4 wheel drive with just bilsteins, and still don't have any issues after a 6"lift added with another alignment.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get an alignment and then see how she does. Pretty sure it will fix you wobble.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get an alignment and then see how she does. Pretty sure it will fix you wobble.

I will definitely be getting an alignment regardless.

Was just concerned after noticing it and wanted to get everyone's opinion on it here. And see if others here had the same issue after bilstein install/pre alignment.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure you most definitely need an alignment. I've had mine at 2.8 for 3 years now. Didn't have any issues in 4 wheel drive with just bilsteins, and still don't have any issues after a 6"lift added with another alignment.

I am hoping an alignment will take care of it. But I am not to optimistic. With the tires currently kicked out on top/in at bottom. It would seem like when properly aligned (tipping the top of the tire in/bottom out) that it would increase the angle at which the outer CV would be at. But then again, I have seen stranger things.

I know it needs an alignment regardless. But I am worried that this wobble/shudder and binding might still be there and wondering what causes it and what the fix is. And I am not going to drop $900 on a set of high angle cv's...that is crazy lol. Id save a little more and do a full lift kit if that were the case.

Before installing the leveling kit I put it in 4x4 and drove it under hard acceleration,turning etc..etc.. and didnt have a single issue when stock. Post bilsteins....I have these issues.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see most people that have issues after installing bilsteins (or any leveling kit for that matter) normally refer to it as a vibration. I would call it more of a wobble or a shudder . Can't feel it In The steering wheel so much as you can feel the whole front of the truck shimmy. And it's not just a little bit and I'm being picky. It was pretty bad. And when the binding happened during turning I hadn't gone to full lock. Maybe went a half of a turn, but by the way it felt ...had I went to full lock it felt like something would have snapped.

I'll be getting it in for an alignment likely in the next day or two and then I can have a for sure answer to the problem. Was just looking in the mean time to easy my mind and see if others had a similar issue, had tested 4x4 prior to having their alignment done after installing front level,had any input on the angle of my axle shafts in the pictures I posted. To me the angle doesn't appear to be much more than it was from the factory though.

Last edited:

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wouldnt wanna drive it around after installing them with no alignment. Your cv's also arent.at a bad angle, especially at 2.1. Maybe something is going on up there, I'd get it aligned and then see.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the 2.1" setting, your cv's look horrible! I have mine set at 2.1" and my cv's ALOMOST look dead level, there is just enough angle to tell they are not perfectly level. I will echo what's already been said, alignment should help get everything set.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldnt wanna drive it around after installing them with no alignment. Your cv's also arent.at a bad angle, especially at 2.1. Maybe something is going on up there, I'd get it aligned and then see.

Yeah, I am not driving it around until I get it aligned. I put maybe 4 or 5 miles on it after leveling it . A .5 miles of which would have been testing it I. 4x4.

I also didn't think the cv angle looked bad either. Not much different than stock looked.

My truck has the trx4 stickers on the bed aides but I don't believe it is actually a trx4 , I think the original owner had the stickers installed. So I don't think it had a taller factory front suspension. The build sheet says it is a sport, it doesn't have 2 tone or any other signs of a trx4 aside from the stickers.

The factory front ride height was 36.5" from the ground to the bottom of the fender opening on both sides. And 39.5" on both rears. After leveling with the 2.1 setting I forgot to write it down but I believe it put them at 38.5" in the front.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the 2.1" setting, your cv's look horrible! I have mine set at 2.1" and my cv's ALOMOST look dead level, there is just enough angle to tell they are not perfectly level. I will echo what's already been said, alignment should help get everything set.

Yup, I will be getting the alignment for sure and will let everyone know the outcome. I'm just concerned because it seem like an alignment would make the issue worse maybe. When extending the position of the front suspension downward when leveling the front. And effectively increasing the angle of the axle shaft and angle of the cvs, more so the outer cv. Which in turn would put the camber of the wheel off by the top being tipped out and bottom in.

But it would seem when a alignment were to be done that the top of the wheel would need pull in/bottom out to get the camber into alignment. Which would INCREASE the angle of the outer cv joint and make the issue worse. Would it not?.

Forgive me if I am missing something.

And I am well aware the obvious next step it an alignment. Just want to better understand what's going on and why and the likely hood an alignment will fix it. Because I haven't heard anyone else having the same issue,some have issues at max setting I have seen. Not many at 2.1 however. And not many people seem to have tested 4x4 prior to an alignment either.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And none of the suspension components looked worn when I inspected everything while it was apart either. Tie rods ends and ball joints were in good shape. Everything came apart smooth and went back together smooth. (Aside from both lower strut bolts were a pain in the ass and seized in the rubber bushings but I eventually got them out). The struts were assembled correctly (strut,adjustment clip,adapter collar,lower spring seat,bump stop,spring,washer ,isolator/dust cover and upper spring seat,nut.)

In 2 wheel it drives axcellent, smooth ride, no strange sounds or anything. Just the issue when on 4x4

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, I will be getting the alignment for sure and will let everyone know the outcome. I'm just concerned because it seem like an alignment would make the issue worse maybe. When extending the position of the front suspension downward when leveling the front. And effectively increasing the angle of the axle shaft and angle of the cvs, more so the outer cv. Which in turn would put the camber of the wheel off by the top being tipped out and bottom in.

But it would seem when a alignment were to be done that the top of the wheel would need pull in/bottom out to get the camber into alignment. Which would INCREASE the angle of the outer cv joint and make the issue worse. Would it not?.

Forgive me if I am missing something.

And I am well aware the obvious next step it an alignment. Just want to better understand what's going on and why and the likely hood an alignment will fix it. Because I haven't heard anyone else having the same issue,some have issues at max setting I have seen. Not many at 2.1 however. And not many people seem to have tested 4x4 prior to an alignment either.

the inside angle is the one causing the vibe/shudder. When lifting an IFS vehicle, it's always the inner joint that will have the most angle to it. You would be surprised how much difference a good alignment will make, both in feel and look. If you would have posted the pics and told everyone to guess how much lift you had, by looking at the cv's I would have guessed over 3". I'll see if I can snap a pic of mine for reference.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the inside angle is the one causing the vibe/shudder. When lifting an IFS vehicle, it's always the inner joint that will have the most angle to it. You would be surprised how much difference a good alignment will make, both in feel and look. If you would have posted the pics and told everyone to guess how much lift you had, by looking at the cv's I would have guessed over 3". I'll see if I can snap a pic of mine for reference.

So what makes my truck different from others who have also went to 2.1"?. how would my cv angle be any greater than that of others who have went to 2.1"?. And how would a alignment lessen said angle?.

Sorry for all of the questions. Just curious

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pic of my cv's on level ground, wheels straight, Bils @ 2.1"

Don't know why it's sideways, took pic with phone straight up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 103

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Better pic

Ah hell, this is making me mad now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the pictures. ( even though I had to stand on my head to figure them out HAHA ). Yes, you can definitely tell a difference between yours and mine. Hopefully an alignment will get mine right as rain. Strange how these trucks differ so much from one to the next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, Everywhere in town is booked a week or more out. But I did manage to find a local shop that was able to get me in today. I dropped the truck off and they said they might be able to get it done by the end of the day. If not, then tomorrow.

I have a suspicion that I am going to find that the issue will still be present even after having the alignment done. Going over the geometry in my head of what an alignment is going to do for the truck I don't think it is going to change the CV angle's in such a way that it will improve the issue. The only way I can think that would solve it (aside from $900 high angle CV's which is out of the question) would be to fab up some diff drop brackets.

BUT I will be sure to report back on my findings as soon as I get the truck back!

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I dropped the truck off yesterday afternoon around 1 PM. The place closes at 7PM. I called at 6PM and asked if the truck was ready and they said that they were busy and didnt get to it when they wanted to but that it was next in line and would be the first one in tomorrow morning.

Well, here it is today.They open at 8AM....it is now 12 PM, I still haven't got a phone call from them. So I figured 4 hours would be plenty of time and I should have heard from them so I gave them a call and asked if my truck was done yet.

They said they did the alignment this morning and got everything to "true up into the green" but there is an issue that when they give it gas it wants to pull to the left. They then proceeded to ask if I had installed lift blocks in the rear of the truck or anything and I told them no that it was only a 2.1" strut leveling kit in the front...And I told them that it has never pulled to the left or to the right not pre leveling kit and not even post leveling kit.

They said they are going to put it on the rack again and go over the truck and see if they can figure out what is going on and I should have the truck back by the end of the day.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause it to pull to the left under throttle Like they are saying?

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
Are you doing this on dry pavement? If you are, the binding could your differential locking up and no letting wheels spin at different speeds. Try to find a field or gravel area to test it out.

***Edit, Sorry did you see your last post.