Bilsteins at 2.1 front end 4x4 wobble help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you doing this on dry pavement? If you are, the binding could your differential locking up and no letting wheels spin at different speeds. Try to find a field or gravel area to test it out.

***Edit, Sorry did you see your last post.

I have not tried in gravel. But the fact is, even on dry pavement these problems did not exist prior to the leveling kit.

I know 4x4 is not meant for dry pavement. But I tested it prior to the level install specifically for comparison sake and in 4x4 on dry pavement there was no vibration under acceleration or anywhere up to the 45 mph I took it too. And no binding during a turn ( maybe slight binding at full lock which you can expect out of any 4x4.....but post level it didn't take much of a turn at all before severe binding occurred).

Add to that now this new issue the alignment shopping has told be where it pulls left under acceleration. Quickly feeling disappointment and regret on this bilstein install.

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I hope you were in at least in 4hi. You could have damaged the front diff testing the 4x4 on dry pavement.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I have drove 4 wheel drive trucks for the last 15 years or so and have never had any issues or broken anything. Like I said, It is not something I normally do but something I did to test prior and post leveling kit as I had read here on the forums some people had vibration issues in the front end if they max out bilsteins. And even though I was not maxing it out I still wanted to run a baseline test for comparison sake. And there was definitely no issues before. And definitely something going on now.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine pulled too after alignment. Had to have it re done and now its good.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, they re did the alignment and the truck now tracks straight. However the wobble and binding is still present. But I have since dug deeper into the front end and found a bunch of play in both front cv axles. so I think the problem is both front axles are worn and need replaced and the leveling struts changed the angle and brought the flaws in the axles out and made them readily apparent.

Here is a video showing the front axle play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0u3LfDAjVk

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many miles do you have on your truck?

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
Yes, they re did the alignment and the truck now tracks straight. However the wobble and binding is still present. But I have since dug deeper into the front end and found a bunch of play in both front cv axles. so I think the problem is both front axles are worn and need replaced and the leveling struts changed the angle and brought the flaws in the axles out and made them readily apparent.

Here is a video showing the front axle play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0u3LfDAjVk

My 2.5 inch his level lot destroyed my front end. Thousands in parts, two half axles busted and always had a wobble in 4x4 as well at low speeds . Junk. Thank god for warranty and knowing service guys

linkbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Any idea what may have caused the axle play? You suspect this was an issue before installing the Bilsteins?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any idea what may have caused the axle play? You suspect this was an issue before installing the Bilsteins?

Most definitely was an issue before installing the bilsteins. The leveling kit just brought out the fact that there were warn parts being that the axle angles were change is all.

The truck came from Quebec, Canada originally. So it had seen 3 or 4 winters I am assuming. And for all I know the original owner used 4x4 alot. likely wore the axle shafts out. Which isn't uncommon on any vehicle. Unusual that they are worn at under 60k miles.....but then again my wife's grand cherokee with the 5.7l I also had to replace both front axles (as well as the entire front differential housing and rebuild the rear gears) all at 63k miles. So maybe the newer chryslers products didn't get the best of the best drive train components and they are prone to failure.

I think this would also explain why SOME people get the 4x4 wobble/or vibrations and such and others do not. I bet that if those that have 4x4 vibrations and haven't "over leveled" were to inspect their front axles that they would find wear.

I still suggest getting a leveling kit. Not everyone's experience will be as unlucky as mine was lol. But Ill just get a couple front axles and I should be good to go. Other than the issues I have mentioned in the thread I love the leveling. at 2.1" it leveled my truck perfectly. Looks great,rides and handles great also!

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Surprised no one has mentioned this but u can't level a trx4 they come from the dealer with a taller strut so ur essentially stacking leveling kits only way to do it right is drop the diff.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surprised no one has mentioned this but u can't level a trx4 they come from the dealer with a taller strut so ur essentially stacking leveling kits only way to do it right is drop the diff.

You can still level them, they just need less. Also I believe his truck is a sport with trx4 stickers, but I may be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can still level them, they just need less. Also I believe his truck is a sport with trx4 stickers, but I may be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct.

I mentioned it somewhere in the thread. The original owner must have had the TRX4 decals added at the dealer. They are genuine decals and appear to have been on the truck since day 1. But aside from the decals...I see no evidence of it being an actual TRX4. And all of the build sheet info says it is a sport and I see no mention of TRX4. And it is not 2 tone and has a 1 piece front bumper.

UNLESS I have some sort of super rare TRX4? lol.

If someone has the build codes for a TRX4 I can look over my build sheet data and cross reference the two.

Also my factory ride height of 36.5" front seems to be in line with other rams...And I believe the TRX4 came with .7" higher front ride height from the factory.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
The front end wobble is your tires pulling towards each and axle wrap. Any time you level a CV axle vehicle you put the axles at more of an angle and essentially bind them a bit. The only time I ever get that is when I roll into 4WD and run it on pavement, which is rare, but I have done it. When I'm in my pasture or off pavement I have no problems because it's allowing the front tires to spin freely without binding up on the pavement.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The front end wobble is your tires pulling towards each and axle wrap. Any time you level a CV axle vehicle you put the axles at more of an angle and essentially bind them a bit. The only time I ever get that is when I roll into 4WD and run it on pavement, which is rare, but I have done it. When I'm in my pasture or off pavement I have no problems because it's allowing the front tires to spin freely without binding up on the pavement.

As I previously mentioned in the thread, it does it on road and off road. Also earlier in the thread I mentioned (and posted video) that I foind pretty excessive play in both front axles. A set of new axles should take care of the issue.

I'd bet that most guys that have wobble or vibration problems would find play in their axles as the culprit. Hence why there are so many people with these trucks that have no issues leveling. And some that do have issues with leveling. Only 50k miles on my truck... So it could happen to anyone.