Blend Door Failure Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

messyj232

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey everyone. I think I might have a blend door failure.
For the last year or so, I have always had air come through my vents, even when heat and ac were turned off, but it was never a big deal.
However, lately, my heat is only lukewarm (on lower settings it is fine though).
After much plodding around the intereweb (and this wonderful site) I think I might have a blend door failure.
My questions is, is there any way to test this before I go out and buy the parts?
Thanks in advance everyone!

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the blend door break on both of my rams, 05 and 08 and both times, the air would not blow on the floor, had it happen during the winter and had a cold floor board.
Bumping this up in case others have more experiences.

rph74

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram
Engine
4.7 liter 6-Speed Manual
If when you set the air to go to the floor only, and it only goes to the windshield defrost vent then it is probably your blend door. This is the problem I had. I ended up having it done for $531 parts and labor. The guy that did it said it appeared to him as though the new Dodge replacement part was updated/improved but I have no way to verify that.

Good Luck

mcraezy87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The doors themselves were bad about breaking where the hinge mates to the actuator, on the DR Rams. When u buy the replacement part at the dealer, it comes with the new recirc door and housing and actuator. Aannnd..you get to pull the dash out! Yay! But seriously, its not that bad. An 8,10,13mm sockets both long and short, 1/4 & 3/8 and about 3hrs total if its ur first time.
Take off it defrost vent panel, which will most likely break, A pillars and kick panels, drop the steering column and don't forget the two 10's hiding underneath the gap rider panel below the cupholder

mcraezy87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, almost forgot, 2 10mm's by the steering column plate after u drop it down. After that, its not a total removal of the dash, just roll it back towards the rear of the truck to gain the most access to the recirc door on the pass side.

Ram2004Rick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think my issue is the blend motor its self. Had no heat couldn't feel the motor turning did voltage **** and it was getting voltage, tool the actuator off to see if it was moving and it did after I tried to turn the shaft by hand. its working now but know if will fail again, probably in middle of summer stuck on heat. Anyone have a part number?