Blowing Smoke....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So a little over a month ago I had the catalytic converter on my 2002 4.7 removed and around that time my truck started blowing a little smoke out the tailpipe. Could removing the cat cause the smoke or is it something else?? Really need to get this figured out, all help appreciated!!

Thanks

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Correct me if I'm wrong board, but it was probably already smoking a little prior to the cat removal, and the cat was absorbing it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^This is quite likely.

Burning oil? Losing coolant? If no, I'd be wondering if it's simply condensation in the exhaust system.

OP
OP
S

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking about that as well, but i figured that i would have seen some sort of smoke from it. If thats the case, then cutting the cat just stopped filtering the smoke, i think lol.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I was thinking about that as well, but i figured that i would have seen some sort of smoke from it. If thats the case, then cutting the cat just stopped filtering the smoke, i think lol.

That's what I'm saying, but absorbing more than filtering.

Is it blowing smoke all the time, at startup, acceleration... what color smoke?

OP
OP
S

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^This is quite likely.

Burning oil? Losing coolant? If no, I'd be wondering if it's simply condensation in the exhaust system.

I was losing coolant but it turned out to be from the t-stat housing, and ive been told that the smoke has a blueish color which i know is oil, but i havent been losing a lot of oil. In the past few months i have only been about a quart low

OP
OP
S

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I'm saying, but absorbing more than filtering.

Is it blowing smoke all the time, at startup, acceleration... what color smoke?

sometimes it wont blow smoke at all and sometimes ill see a nice amount, and it has a blueish color

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was losing coolant but it turned out to be from the t-stat housing, and ive been told that the smoke has a blueish color which i know is oil, but i havent been losing a lot of oil. In the past few months i have only been about a quart low

How many miles on your engine?

Regardless, I'd start with inspecting the PCV valve and make sure it's functioning.

OP
OP
S

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so i did some more research on the pcv valve and im just going to replace it in the morning hopefully its gonna make a difference!

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
well, we changed the PCV valve on the system as well as the hose, the hose was cracked and there was sludge and crud all inside it. we will see what happens now! cant beat that for $8

OP
OP
S

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So its been a few days since i replaced the pcv valve, and i have noticed a difference, but still a little smoke. Any other ideas on what i could do??? Thanks

easorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 in July from Greenbrier Dodge in Chesapeake, VA. It had only 9,600 miles on it. After getting it home, I noticed it would occassionaly blow bluish smoke at startup, sometimes putting out a huge plume of smoke. Monitored the oil consumption and it used 2 quarts in 3,000 miles. Greenbrier Dodge tells me this is normal but did agree to do an oil consumption test.

Anybody else having this kind of problem?

breg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2 quarts between changes seems a bit much. Something is going on here. Any unusual noises or ticking? Listen closely, especially at start up. Have someone crank it while you have the hood up and listen closely. May be a valve sticking.