Bluetooth Range with Paired Phone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nevermore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I recently was moving my truck on my property, while listening to a Sirius/XM station in my 2018 Ram 2500 6.7. I have the factory radio for the Laramie. All of a sudden, the sound cuts out, and I get a Siri-like message that said, "Sorry, try again." I did not have my phone with me (I don't use Siri on my phone, either), and no one else uses my truck. Then my music resumed playing on the station I selected. It was creepy, to say the least. I called a friend and decided to check out the paired phone list. My phone was listed under Paired Phones, along with an Android phone. No one in my household owns an Android phone. I figured maybe when I took my truck in for dealer for a few issues, maybe a tech paired his/her phone to my truck to listen to some tunes. I have no problem with that. I am concerned because I live in a rural setting, so no one lives close by. I called UConnect Guardian Svc & UConnect Access to find out about how far the range is for the bluetooth/phone pairing, they referred me to Siriux XM. To sum it up, no one could tell me an approximate range where the system could pick up a phone that has been paired with it. They were not really conclusive with whether the truck's engine would have to be running to pair a phone in the first place. Sirius/XM rep. stated 5 meters, but I believe that is for the actual process of pairing a phone, not using one that has already been paired to my system. Does anyone know where I could locate this information? I've exhausted all possible leads. Thanks in advance.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Typical Bluetooth range is around 30-40 feet. I have been able to stretch out as far as 60ish feet. Sounds to me like your system lost connection with the satellite. Delete the other phone profile of you haven't already and you can eliminate that possibility.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Typical Bluetooth range is around 30-40 feet. I have been able to stretch out as far as 60ish feet. Sounds to me like your system lost connection with the satellite. Delete the other phone profile of you haven't already and you can eliminate that possibility.
Agreed 30' to 40' give or take.

OP
OP
N

Nevermore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thank you very much for the replies. I deleted the mysterious paired phone when I saw it on the list. Hopefully no more auditory activity will take place.

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
The range is actually pretty far. I was parked in front of a jewerly store, left the truck running with my wife in it, and was still connected to my truck while I was in the store.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hate to say it but what you heard was most likely the screen delaminating and pushing buttons on it's own. Very common issue with the 2018 HD trucks. It will eventually get worse and start ghost pushing buttons.

Can't explain the android phone being paired? Has to be done in the truck so someone did it while in there.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use to have my laptop connected to my Ram wirelessly
I put the ignition on ACC & i could walk the laptop to a picnic table about 25-30 feet away.

I never thought about parking outside of a donut shop that had wifi, to see what the range might be

I would have to think that a cell phones range would be close to the same