Synthetic Filter Options for RFE transmsions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
WIX 57055XP
RP 10-2867
M1-110A (synthetic blend)
XG7317
EA15K13 amsoil

All appear to be replacements for the oem garbage paper filter for all the rfe's, 5 speed and 6 speed, I believe this option will be for any older rams with same thread size of course not the 8 speeds. These paper filters get stiff and are worthless, but the synthetic media will filter as long as you need it. There also is a metal thread option instead of plastic, which you will need because you cannot re-use the plastic ones. Thanks to the many ram members who put this together. The Sump filters are already synthetic, and actually pretty well made, likely not even needed to replace for at least 100k miles.

46961674101_35f70c459d_c.jpg

47200000662_b625e33eb8_c.jpg

47118549492_bdecc27466_c.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you opt for this filter package, you should consider a wire wheel to knock the paint off before installing.

Also, spring pressure if different on the xp, but most the other filters are the same leaf style as oem.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just ordered the RevMax adapter.

I myself will order 2 very strong neo coated magnets & attach them to the filter as I have on every other oil filter I have installed on all the family autos.

Not for sure which filter I will choose to go with.
Any of those listed will be 5X better then the OEM!

Thanks to all those whom contributed!

Edit:
I did send DoubleWasp a message: Asking if he had any issues after the install of the Fram XG in place of the OEM spin-on.
Also asked him if he had any more information that he could share with us after the install and what he witnessed---> Good or Bad.

I know he said he had plans on doing a UOA after so many hours with the XG installed.
He is pretty active within BITOG - hopefully it wont take long for a reply.

Just ordered (3) RP filters from Amazon $15 ea.
I will sand them with emery cloth first to see if it takes the paint off. If not I will get my small wire wheel and gently remove the paint.

As for storage I will put them back in the box and put each one in a zip-loc back just to keep any rust or corrosion from building on the outside of the filter housing. (I don't know if any will form or not) might apply a thin layer of Kroil to the outside housing before.

Don't know just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, to find the filter threads google "45RFE, 545RFE, 66RFE, 68RFE DNJ Billet Steel Thread Adapter" and it should lead you to options. I paid 20 bucks at ebay but some tranny shops seam to sell them for 12 bucks. The filters should work on all of those applications. There is a thread at bob's as well, some guy has been running the fram for a while now. I know we covered this in syn thread, but everyone should be doing this upgrade imo. Read last few pages syn thread for more info.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If anyone of you find the correct size of filter wrench to fit these filters could you please post a pic and part# of the wrench here?

Thanks!

I think I have an adjustable grip wrench in the cabinet.
I will have to shuffle a few things to possibly find it.

I really would like to have small chat with the engineers of this transmission and ask them why in the ****** He!! did you A$$ Hats incorporate the spin on filter inside the transmission?

A design like the Allison would be ideal!

Oh Well it is what it is!

This modification will be a major improvement in the filtering system!

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok: Now I am bit confused! I messaged Doublewasp about if he has had any issues with his trans since he replaced the OEM spin-on with the XG!

Here is his response!

Im thinking he added an external spin-on filter!
Am I wrong?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My response is going to be a little backwards here, so bear with me.

You should not decide to run a Fram XG filter in a Chrysler transmission based on my own experiences.

Why I say that is because my XG is catching pretty much only what my 3-micron hydraulic filter does not. My hydraulic filter is after the torque converter, but before the transmission cooler. Anything coming out of the trans is getting super clean and magnet strained before it ever sees the XG filter.

I have a lot of good reasons to believe it would never be an issue, even without my hydraulic filter. The XG7317 was engineered to flow a greater amount of a thicker oil for 20k miles in a much dirtier environment.

Point is, I don't actually *know*.

More than that, I'd actually love for this transmission to take a dump so I can have a thin excuse to get a Revmax and turn up the power, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. So I am taking no real "risk" here."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point: I have it in my head that these listed synthetic media filters are going to filter so much more Efficiently when compared to that cheezy OEM filter its ridiculous.
Im going on with it! (I would love to install a external inline spin-on filter). -->Had one on my 01 7.3L PSD.

What we are doing here is good enough for this present time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
sounds like some blah added to some blah blah.

The issues is, if you don't use a synthetic filter then you have a cellulouse, period? Don't know what wasp was ramblin about.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
He has an external filter as well as the Fram XG inside the trans.

Reactions: SyN

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just ordered all the parts for this (aside from the Fram that I'll get at Wal-Mart). 3x 5qt jugs of Mopar ATF+4 for $86 on Amazon...solid deal right there.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Also, PML recommends using the “cork composite gasket” and gave a model number for it as well for these RFE trans pans they make. I went ahead and went with one of those since I figure the only time I’ll replace the fluid is when I replace the filters, and I’ll need a new gasket then anyways...and a trust a solid one over my RTV skills.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Also, PML recommends using the “cork composite gasket” and gave a model number for it as well for these RFE trans pans they make. I went ahead and went with one of those since I figure the only time I’ll replace the fluid is when I replace the filters, and I’ll need a new gasket then anyways...and a trust a solid one over my RTV skills.

rtv worries me as well, I went along the outside of the pan, and only all the way thinly around bolts. You should be careful not to have an rtv lip going into your fluid. Now, if you let it cure for 24 hours, you should be good, but I like the idea of cork as well. Anyone have a part number?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
thanks syn

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Is there no gasket from the factory? a reusable one like the diff covers?

Last edited:

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hi what is the stock no for the fram xg filter for the trannie thanks ray

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
hi what is the stock no for the fram xg filter for the trannie thanks ray

XG7317 you will want to remove rubber and paint before applying that filter.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Reusable composite no RTV gasket.....expensive but no leak.
https://www.lubelocker.com/product/llt-crfe/

Update: LubeLocker does not recommend reusing gasket.
I wanted to test the reusability of the LubeLocker. I had ordered a 2nd LubeLocker gasket, but I opted to simply reinstall the gasket I had (at least temporarily). I found no issues with reusing the gasket but I will point out that LubeLocker does not recommend it - "We will not endorse reuse. We will tell you that people have done it and it has worked. We will not tell you how many times. It depends greatly on the application, interval between disassembly, and other "environmental factors"; however, for a trail repair or a quick fix or test run, it worked and I think it's a viable solution.

Last edited: