Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Until there is some carnage that can be traced back to the brake controller not doing as it supposed to do- I don't see a recall in the future. That's the ****** part about that. Hopefully nobody gets hurt because of this.

NormCouturier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 2015 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW (850tq with Aisin transmission).

I have been complaining about my brakes since I owned the truck. I have 2 trailers:

2015 Jayco 5th Wheel (43', ~14,000lbs)
2005 Cargo Express 28' Car Hauler (tandem axle)

As with may others reporting here, I get inadequate braking force at the trailers, with the gain on the controller set to 10 (regardless of heavy/light mode). Both trailers worked great with the previous (2006 Ram 3500).
I have had a number of "holy cr$p" moments at low speeds, where it seems the truck is the only thing slowing the trailer down.

With both trailers, I can easily roll down my driveway (300' @ 4% grade) with the manual lever on full - it will not stop the truck/trailer.

I feel that if I set my gain to 10 on Heavy Electric, it should be too much gain - I should have to roll it back to get the desired level.

I complained to my dealer. One of the techs there understands my complaint - he actually gave me an ITBM to A/B test today. I tried it, but there is no difference. They are going to try to get some info from "engineering" before my appt with them this Thursday.

I will report any findings I get from them.

To all who have contributed to this thread - Thanks! Hearing others' problem reports, tests, and seeing their data is very helpful.

Cheers!
Norm

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just for the heck of it I switched my little trailer to the heavy electric setting to see if the issue was there. Sure enough- felt like I basically had no brakes on the trailer at all.

Going to make a few calls. We are hoping to upgrade to a 5th this winter/ next spring so I will need to get this sorted.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

rdstrain49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The factory brake controller on my '16 Cummins is truly a piece of crap. I have multiple trailers, the controller works with some and just barely with others. Trailers have all been checked and are ok, the controller just doesn't work the same way with different trailers. I've been pulling with Dodge & Cummins for 17 years, never had any brake issues until this 2016 factory piece of crap.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Anyone have any updates on the poor performance of the 15/16 ITBM.

I'm also curious if the problem will continue on the 2017s.

InvictusII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I was at the dealer yesterday for an annual state inspection and they did 3 software updates. It was PCM, ABS, and ITBM!

Is there any way to find out what these software updates actually change?
I felt like I noticed a difference with the truck shifting so maybe that was the PCM update.

I'm just wondering if the ABS and ITBM software update have anything to do with this brake controller problem.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was at the dealer yesterday for an annual state inspection and they did 3 software updates. It was PCM, ABS, and ITBM!

Is there any way to find out what these software updates actually change?
I felt like I noticed a difference with the truck shifting so maybe that was the PCM update.

I'm just wondering if the ABS and ITBM software update have anything to do with this brake controller problem.

I don't know but just the fact that the ITBM was reflashed is interesting. The only way that I know to find out what the updates changed is to ask the dealer.

My 3500 is in winter storage (I can't drive two trucks so I store one to save on insurance) so I'll have to wait till spring to see if my VIN will get a ITBM update. If it does, you can bet the first thing I'm going to do is characterize its output.

Last edited:

InvictusII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I would ask the dealer but I don't think they would even know what an ITBM is!

I shouldn't say (write) that . They have been pretty good so far. One tech just glanced over at my truck and knew that it took the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 so that impressed me.

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
just checking back in to see if there have been any movement on this issue. i see that an IBCM has been flashed wonder what the deal is here ? i just had another of my "FREE oil /filter changes and tire rotations" ref: #587 and #596. I would suggest this route to follow and if and when a retrofit is available i can go back to the Ram IBCM

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was at my RV dealership Friday and he told me that the brake controller problem is very common complaint they are getting and they have found that its the connector on the harness at t he back of the truck that connects to the harness for the trailer plug(s) not making good contact

TxCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NONE
I was at my RV dealership Friday and he told me that the brake controller problem is very common complaint they are getting and they have found that its the connector on the harness at t he back of the truck that connects to the harness for the trailer plug(s) not making good contact

Did your RV dealer recommend a fix for this issue?

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't quote book and verse from this thread anymore so I'm gonna loosely paraphrase. Ahem. "RV dealers/salesmen/techs typically know slightly less than jack **** about the ITBCM issues of the MY2016 Ram truck line. And all Gawd's people said 'amen'."

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can't quote book and verse from this thread anymore so I'm gonna loosely paraphrase. Ahem. "RV dealers/salesmen/techs typically know slightly less than jack **** about the ITBCM issues of the MY2016 Ram truck line. And all Gawd's people said 'amen'."

Can't argue that.

It is also unreasonable to expect a salesman or RV dealer tech to understand how a proportional brake controller works (so why would anyone ask them for advice, got me). After all, Chrysler screwed it up and one would think they would know, especially after many years of making ITBMs successfully.

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can't argue that.

It is also unreasonable to expect a salesman or RV dealer tech to understand how a proportional brake controller works (so why would anyone ask them for advice, got me). After all, Chrysler screwed it up and one would think they would know, especially after many years of making ITBMs successfully.

I did not ask the RV Tech about it he actually asked me about it because he knew i had a Ram.

AustinAggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
FWIW, I just got a 2016 1500 with the ITBM and haven't noticed anything concerning.

All I have done so far though is take my roughly 5000 lb Jayco travel trailer out for a test run. I did get up to about 60 mph and did several starts and stops. I had it set to heavy electric at 2.5 gain and it stopped like a champ. Light electric did not feel strong enough.

I'll experiment more and report back; first trip through the Texas hill country is coming up later in January. With gear and the truck loaded, I'll be closer to 7000 on an actual trip.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
FWIW, I just got a 2016 1500 with the ITBM and haven't noticed anything concerning.

All I have done so far though is take my roughly 5000 lb Jayco travel trailer out for a test run. I did get up to about 60 mph and did several starts and stops. I had it set to heavy electric at 2.5 gain and it stopped like a champ. Light electric did not feel strong enough.

I'll experiment more and report back; first trip through the Texas hill country is coming up later in January. With gear and the truck loaded, I'll be closer to 7000 on an actual trip.

I wouldn't expect any issues with your setup. If you look through the thread, and I know it is a long one, the issue is with the RAM HDs and trailers north of 12,000 pounds. The issue is with trailer brakes that require more than 8 volts to stop, like a 12-volt brake system commonly found on the bigger trailers, like fifth wheel RVs.

AustinAggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I wouldn't expect any issues with your setup. If you look through the thread, and I know it is a long one, the issue is with the RAM HDs and trailers north of 12,000 pounds. The issue is with trailer brakes that require more than 8 volts to stop, like a 12-volt brake system commonly found on the bigger trailers, like fifth wheel RVs.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about the 1500..

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I apologize i didn't read all the pages of this thread, and i have not towed my tt with the ram yet, but as far as my 15 Silverado with the Chevy itbc is concerned, my prodigy p3 was a better performing, stronger braking unit.

I'd suspect the dodge one is similar. For heavier rigs, I'd install the P3. Just my .02